GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Don't We Like The Games 'We' Do?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/07/01 at 00:17
Regular
Sounds silly, I know, BUT there is always an 'AAA' game that you hate. Whether it be Conker's Bad Fur Day, SSX, Sonic Adventure 2 or another, there is always a game, that no matter how hard you try, you can't stand; and you're completely mystified as to how or why it became so popular!

For me there are 3. Let's take Perfect Dark, as the first example. It was definitely an 'AAA' title, and arguably one of Rare's best games in the '64-Bit' era, but many, including myself didn't enjoy the game. But why?!

Maybe is was because 'It wasn't Bond'. Sounds daft, I know, but as Meka Dragon said with regards to the Mascot post, an illustrious character can make all the difference when he/she/it endorses a product. Maybe, because Joanna wasn't a recognised figure outside of videogames, people didn't take to the game. Also, as the 007 titles would no doubt go insequence from Goldeneye, I, along with others, was execting Tomorrow Never Dies, and so I waited for that! Also, it had a very Non-Nintendo theme... In a world of Pokémon and bright colours, Perfect Dark seemed somewhat out of sorts on a Nintendo console. It came as quite a shock!

The second game, i'll quickly mention is (The) Secret of Mana ( - Squaresoft). Again, another great game on the SNES, but after playing it for a while I couldn't understand why, or even how it was so popular amongst millions. Given that there is much to do in the game and the worlds, or levels, are very diverse I can kind of see why people would buy it through gut instinct. But surely not after reading reviews?!

Bust-A-Move was another. Another puzzle game to gap-fill the shelves in HMV. The only problem was, it was creating gaps, not filling them! Why was it so popular? It was just a fancied up version of Columns mixed with Behive Bedlam (Sky Digital > Open....)! I really can't see how, or why people would take to this game. It's samey, the graphics are frightfully basic. There is no diversity in the levels and the game bores 'you' in minutes! It's completely beyond me! At least it was!!!

After hours of thought (unfamiliar territory - had to take my time! :D), I came to the conclusion that there isn't anything in games that makes 'us' tick! We can't stereotype gamers as 'gamers' it just can't be done. We're all different... different hair, skin colour, eye colour. Different abilities and disabilities. But most important is the fact that we all have different personalities, and through these personalities we have preferances to all things, including games!. There is never going to be one game that we all like. Never.

So, in the years to come, you have to understand, that no matter how they try, games companies won't be able to meet the single demands of every consumer. Like the old saying goes. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Just because games have a shiney gold 'R' on the front doesn't mean that you'll enjoy them. Just because there is an red-capped plumber by the name of Mario in the game doesn't mean it will be the game for you! If you want a certain game but 'We' don't like it, fine! Remember - You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Life is full of choices.

Gaming is full of choices.

They're Your choices.

YOU Make them!

Get the console YOU Like!

Play the games YOU like!

Thanks for reading, feel free to add your views!

Game
Fri 06/07/01 at 00:17
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Sounds silly, I know, BUT there is always an 'AAA' game that you hate. Whether it be Conker's Bad Fur Day, SSX, Sonic Adventure 2 or another, there is always a game, that no matter how hard you try, you can't stand; and you're completely mystified as to how or why it became so popular!

For me there are 3. Let's take Perfect Dark, as the first example. It was definitely an 'AAA' title, and arguably one of Rare's best games in the '64-Bit' era, but many, including myself didn't enjoy the game. But why?!

Maybe is was because 'It wasn't Bond'. Sounds daft, I know, but as Meka Dragon said with regards to the Mascot post, an illustrious character can make all the difference when he/she/it endorses a product. Maybe, because Joanna wasn't a recognised figure outside of videogames, people didn't take to the game. Also, as the 007 titles would no doubt go insequence from Goldeneye, I, along with others, was execting Tomorrow Never Dies, and so I waited for that! Also, it had a very Non-Nintendo theme... In a world of Pokémon and bright colours, Perfect Dark seemed somewhat out of sorts on a Nintendo console. It came as quite a shock!

The second game, i'll quickly mention is (The) Secret of Mana ( - Squaresoft). Again, another great game on the SNES, but after playing it for a while I couldn't understand why, or even how it was so popular amongst millions. Given that there is much to do in the game and the worlds, or levels, are very diverse I can kind of see why people would buy it through gut instinct. But surely not after reading reviews?!

Bust-A-Move was another. Another puzzle game to gap-fill the shelves in HMV. The only problem was, it was creating gaps, not filling them! Why was it so popular? It was just a fancied up version of Columns mixed with Behive Bedlam (Sky Digital > Open....)! I really can't see how, or why people would take to this game. It's samey, the graphics are frightfully basic. There is no diversity in the levels and the game bores 'you' in minutes! It's completely beyond me! At least it was!!!

After hours of thought (unfamiliar territory - had to take my time! :D), I came to the conclusion that there isn't anything in games that makes 'us' tick! We can't stereotype gamers as 'gamers' it just can't be done. We're all different... different hair, skin colour, eye colour. Different abilities and disabilities. But most important is the fact that we all have different personalities, and through these personalities we have preferances to all things, including games!. There is never going to be one game that we all like. Never.

So, in the years to come, you have to understand, that no matter how they try, games companies won't be able to meet the single demands of every consumer. Like the old saying goes. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Just because games have a shiney gold 'R' on the front doesn't mean that you'll enjoy them. Just because there is an red-capped plumber by the name of Mario in the game doesn't mean it will be the game for you! If you want a certain game but 'We' don't like it, fine! Remember - You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Life is full of choices.

Gaming is full of choices.

They're Your choices.

YOU Make them!

Get the console YOU Like!

Play the games YOU like!

Thanks for reading, feel free to add your views!

Game
Fri 06/07/01 at 00:26
Regular
Metal Gear Solid. Some PSone owners say it is the best game ever made. They arvel at how much of a msterpiece it is. They look to the future and expect MGS2 to be on another level.

But for me, MGS was very poor. I disliked it, I general i dislike the style of games on the sony console. Their are a few exceptions of course. ISS pro evolution is probably one of my fave games of all time, and i also liked Driver2 very much. But these are just exceptions, and in general i like the style of Nintendo games better. They are much more enjoyable, some people say they are too childish and dismess the game to be any good becasue of that idea without even playing the game. But to me, Nintendo make the best games.
Fri 06/07/01 at 00:37
ME myself really dislike ALL the Resident Evil games, I find them poor, boring and definatly not scary.

MGS is anothe game I dislike, because it simply lacks excitment.

Maybe it is because I prefer RPG's and Fighters is the reason I dislike these games, but what ever the reason I think these games suck
Fri 06/07/01 at 00:44
Regular
resident evil can be scary sometimes. i actually jumped when a zobie grabed me me from a window. Thats the first game that ever done that to me. I walked past the same window again and the zombie grabbed me, i jumped again. this game is pritty good for suspense like that.
Fri 06/07/01 at 01:14
It just doesn't scare me, I don't know why not though.
Fri 06/07/01 at 01:21
Regular
I like Resident Evil particulary the first 1 as it was so original shame they couldn't do i for GBC heres hoping it'll make an appearenc eon the GBA.
Fri 06/07/01 at 01:32
Regular
The GBA is just too small for the resi game to be scary. u need a big screen or the impact is just not the same.
Fri 06/07/01 at 01:54
Tell a lie on the for Res Evil when the dogs jump through the the window, that made me jump.
Fri 06/07/01 at 07:06
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Games should be made in a similar style to Conker's Bad Fur Day, instead of making your boring old run of the mill platformer.

They are made to be played by practically anyone even if that person especially goes for FPS, RPG then a platformer is meant to be a game with a slight change from that usual genre but still enjoyable for that person.

Like CBFD...it wasn't completely perfect in that aspects but it is one of the only platformers I know that tries to appeal to everyone.

It has a chapter for all out, Strategy/FPS/shooting. Resi fans, basic Fans of games such as Banjo and Rayman. Sci-Fi players, funny parts and a multiplayer that stretchs across a whole variety of genres!!

So I think that platformers should start to be more developed in that style where they actually DO appeal to more than 1/2 types of people.

But there should still be other genres. That could make AAA games slightly more enjoyable if there was another type of game that you would enjoy playing and a change from the usual FPS game or RPG adventure!!

ZP
Fri 06/07/01 at 07:58
I feel that I.... DID LIKE this topic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.