GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking age increased to 18"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/01/07 at 16:26
Regular
The Sun

THE legal age for buying tobacco is to be raised from 16 to 18, the Government announced.

Public Health Minister Caroline Flint said the new law would come into effect from October 1, with the current one dating back to 1908.

Government statistics show that 9% of young people aged between 11 and 15 smoke - down from 13% in 1996.

With tobacco and alcohol illegal for under-18s, retailers should further be helped to comply with the law, the Department of Health said.

England and Wales will now move into line with Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the US.

The Government launched a public consultation in July on whether the limit should be raised to 17 or 18 or left as it is.

Ms Flint said: "Smoking is dangerous at any age, but the younger people start, the more likely they are to become life-long smokers and to die early."

"Someone who starts smoking aged 15 is three times more likely to die of cancer due to smoking than someone who starts in their late 20s."

The Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use Among Young People in England Survey 2004, revealed that 70% of 11 to 15-year-old smokers buy their cigarettes from small shops such as newsagents.

While the NHS spends around 1.7 billion each year on treating smoking-related diseases. According to ASH, tobacco taxation amounts to 10.5 billion per year.

----

Comments anyone? Do you think this will help cut the number of underage smokers? Do we have any smokers here? At what age did you pick up the habit?
Mon 01/01/07 at 19:32
Regular
"I may return"
Garin wrote:
> Just for that, 8pm. :P

X^O *Throws a teddy at Garin*
Mon 01/01/07 at 19:38
Regular
Leave Garin's teddy alone, what's he done to you Sunny >=(
Mon 01/01/07 at 19:46
Regular
"I may return"
Machie wrote:
> what's he done to you Sunny >=(

Garin wrote:
> Now I just want a 9pm curfew for anybody under the age of 21. :)
Mon 01/01/07 at 20:04
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Shes just a bully. :(
Mon 01/01/07 at 20:59
Regular
"lets go back"
Most of those statistics in the main post are about 11-15 year olds who smoke regardles of the law. If they increase the age it wont change anything. Underage smokers will still do it. It will actually increase the number of underage smokers because all the 16-17 years olds who want to smoke will become underage.
Mon 01/01/07 at 21:36
Regular
"I may return"
Garin wrote:
> Shes just a bully. :(

Oh well, if there is a curfew I will have to stay at home, which means I'm more likely to come on here, and if I come on here because of the curfew i will just bully Garin even more :P
Mon 01/01/07 at 22:01
Regular
Seriously why would I want to be on the streets of London at night.
I'd probably get bumrushed.
Mon 01/01/07 at 22:02
Regular
"lets go back"
A few of you have said that kids smoke because they shouldnt. Increasing the age wont stop this, it ill just increase the ammount of people who legaly cant smoke. If its genuinely believed that kids are just being rebellious they should decrese the age. That way no laws are being broken and the kids wouldnt think it was "cool" anymore.
Mon 01/01/07 at 22:23
Regular
"I may return"
Geffdof wrote:
> the kids wouldnt think it was "cool" anymore.

He has a point, ya know?
Mon 01/01/07 at 22:24
Regular
"I may return"
Alfonse wrote:
> Seriously why would I want to be on the streets of London at
> night.
> I get bumrash.

Ew.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.