GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking age increased to 18"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/01/07 at 16:26
Regular
The Sun

THE legal age for buying tobacco is to be raised from 16 to 18, the Government announced.

Public Health Minister Caroline Flint said the new law would come into effect from October 1, with the current one dating back to 1908.

Government statistics show that 9% of young people aged between 11 and 15 smoke - down from 13% in 1996.

With tobacco and alcohol illegal for under-18s, retailers should further be helped to comply with the law, the Department of Health said.

England and Wales will now move into line with Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the US.

The Government launched a public consultation in July on whether the limit should be raised to 17 or 18 or left as it is.

Ms Flint said: "Smoking is dangerous at any age, but the younger people start, the more likely they are to become life-long smokers and to die early."

"Someone who starts smoking aged 15 is three times more likely to die of cancer due to smoking than someone who starts in their late 20s."

The Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use Among Young People in England Survey 2004, revealed that 70% of 11 to 15-year-old smokers buy their cigarettes from small shops such as newsagents.

While the NHS spends around 1.7 billion each year on treating smoking-related diseases. According to ASH, tobacco taxation amounts to 10.5 billion per year.

----

Comments anyone? Do you think this will help cut the number of underage smokers? Do we have any smokers here? At what age did you pick up the habit?
Thu 04/01/07 at 16:39
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I don't smoke, as I simply detest the taste of tobacco. The smell of good cigars I don't mind, but inhaling the stuff... no thanks. Am I happy to see this ban? Well if it stops people of a young age taking up smoking, fine... it probably won't though, as enforcing such a law could prove tricky, and will just mean that as is the case with alcohol, it'll be kids getting people to buy ciggies for them...
Wed 03/01/07 at 19:57
Regular
"I may return"
Garin wrote:
> Its too late now you admitted it.

I can't admit what isn't truth...
Wed 03/01/07 at 19:53
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Its too late now you admitted it.
Wed 03/01/07 at 19:48
Regular
"I may return"
not really, I don't smoke.
Wed 03/01/07 at 18:05
Regular
"I may return"
Garin wrote:
> I bet Sunflower smoked 20 a day.

:O It was 40 :P
Wed 03/01/07 at 17:50
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I bet Sunflower smoked 20 a day.
Wed 03/01/07 at 17:42
Regular
Which half were you in?
Wed 03/01/07 at 16:36
Regular
"I may return"
I remember about 2 years ago (my first year in secondary school) about half of the children in my year smoked. However now (about) half of them have given up, and the ones who didn't smoke are very glad that they never started.
Wed 03/01/07 at 14:31
Regular
Even so, people should be free to destroy their own bodies if they want to.
Wed 03/01/07 at 12:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I'd disupte that; there are 21 year olds at uni who aren't mature enough to know when to stop drinking, and they smoke because it looks good. True story.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.