GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"i-link?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/07/01 at 13:10
Regular
As everyone who has anything to with PS2's will know that GT3's release is coming up shortly (personally I'm going out of my nut waiting1), as a result there have been numerous 'exclusive' reviews and previews, I think I've got about 34 articles in all. In 90% of these articles it states that with i-link capability the option of having six players head to head on seperate tv's is possible and must be tried to be believed. However either I'm being really thick or the gaming press has it's head up it's nether regions, because each PS2 has one i-link port so the maximum number of linked PS2's can only be two (Armored Core 2 is a blast with i-link). I've spent countless day's on the net trying to find out if you can buy an i-link hub (central multi point connector) and according to SCEE there is no such thing but they still insist six way play is possible,but they wouldn't give me the specifics.
If anyone out there has any info I would be greatful if you could enlighten me.
Also after the relase if there is any GT nuts in the Dover area and fancy setting up a league e-mail me and we'll sort something out.
[email protected]
HORSE POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!
Sat 07/07/01 at 10:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, probably that. Someone said it was 70 but on my tech-travels yesterday I noticed it was actually 48.
Fri 06/07/01 at 20:01
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Jive wrote:
You should see the PS2's internal bandwith! I think it's about 70gb/sec!

Theres a memory Bandwith of 48Gb/sec I think is this what you are talking about ?
Fri 06/07/01 at 17:51
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
turbonutter wrote:
> I guessed at the price, but I didn't know it'd be £75!!!

As I said, if you share the cost with your mates then that'll bring the cost down.....but yeah it is expensive.

Jeez! I didn't know that....thnxs for sharing that turbo!
Fri 06/07/01 at 17:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I guessed at the price, but I didn't know it'd be £75!!!

Fri 06/07/01 at 09:55
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
turbonutter wrote:
The downside to a hub is they are very expensive, along with the leads. Expect to pay at least £20 per lead and £40 for the hub.

Few questions for your post turbo.

Are these available yet?
Where have you got the prices from?

Reason I ask is that I've just had a look through a couple of PC mags and can see i-link hubs (6 port) cheapest £74 (Belkin) and cables are around £20 - £30 depending on length.

Still if you've got another 5 mates all with PS2s and 6 big TVs then your doing well and could probably just share the price of the hub and cables.

I also didn't realise the data transfer rate of these units - 400mbs!!! Now that's fast.....could do with that on our network at work!
Thu 05/07/01 at 11:13
Regular
"Playsation rules!!!"
Hey guys. Anyone played Alone In The Dark for the PS?
Thu 05/07/01 at 00:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Over 48 hours for a whole CD I worked it out at.

The downside to a hub is they are very expensive, along with the leads. Expect to pay at least £20 per lead and £40 for the hub.
Wed 04/07/01 at 22:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
For i-link you will not need a HDD as GT3 uses it and no HDD is out yet. It all depends on how many players you have. For 6 player i-link for GT3 you will need a HUB and all the connector leads, 6 PS2's, 6 Tv's and 6 copies of the game. If its just 2 player than no HUB is needed and only 2 Tv's, 2 PS2's and 2 copies of the game are needed. More than 2 players a HUB will be needed.

A HUB is a little box that connects computers altogether. PC networks can use them where each computer may only have one connector which would only allow 1 PC to be linked, but the HUB allows the connector from the computer to be connected to a few computers at once. A PS2 HUB will do the same at the moment only 2 PS2's can be linked. If you get a HUB that has the 6 connectors each PS2 uses there 1 connector to connect to the HUB which means all 6 PS2's are connected.

The HDD is 40Gb I dont know what type of drive it will be. The internet will be both 56k and broadband, the adpator comes with both connections so you can switch between them if you need to, or if you dont have broadband you can use the 56k until you do get broadband.

You may be able to download games but even on the current broadband this would take 3 hours(Based on 512MBit broadband connection, it would take if at full speed 2.89 hours.) for a 650MB CD and game that come on a 4.7GB DVD could take ages. If your on a 56k modem then it will take days to get games.
Wed 04/07/01 at 22:02
Fill me in, i-link, this is when 2+ screens are hooked up 4 multiplayer? do u need more than 1 ps2+game? HUB? HDD, hard disk drive? is the PS2 modem gonna b 56k? broad band? scsi? and you can download new games?
Wed 04/07/01 at 21:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
To have 6 people of GT3 you need a HUB, it allows 6 i-link connections so each person is connected to the HUB. I've also seen that GT3 can be split up on to my than 1 screen. In the latest PSW they show a 6 screen 1 player game where the game screen is divided in 6 and each little bit is shown on 1 of the TV's. They also had 3 TV's and had a F355 arcade type layout.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.