GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just Finished Driv3r"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Driv3r'.
Tue 06/07/04 at 19:18
Regular
"Selected"
Got it on Friday, took me the weekend and Monday of casual play to finish it so probably about 15 hours of play. I thought that the mission's were good but frustration often overshadowed enjoyment - the chase missions for example, you have to practically be on top of the car you're following. Get a few metres behind and the computer suddenly stops you're car and decides that "you lost them" even if you can clearly see them driving off down the highway.

Meanwhile some of the missions require pure luck to figure them out. For example (bit of a mission spoiler here) where you have to drive the booby trapped car to the lorry, you're not told it's in a compound and since you can't drop below 50 mph, you can't really explore the area for a way in, you just have to be lucky and find an entrance. Even when you do get in, you have to drive the car up to the lorry all the while not quite sure what's going to happen when it suddenly tells you to "jump out!" which, if you're not expecting it, leaves you little time to avoid the explosion and you die.

As for the last mission, I wasn't impressed at all. (Spolier again)Basically, you have to follow Jericho whilst a horde of gun men (it's not clear as to why they're actually there) try to protect him. Then for no apparent reason, explosions start to go off around you whilst even more men appear from nowhere. If you manage to overcome the bemusement of the situation, then you end up chasing Jericho down an ally where you can then hide behind a skip whilst he feebly tries to dodge the hail of bullets from your M-16. The worst thing though, is that once you've pumped about 500 rounds into him, you watch the end sequence which shows him still alive! It makes no sense.

Overall though, I thought it was an OK game. The trouble was it thought it was bigger/better than it actually was. If it didn't take itself so seriously, it would have been a nice little game.
Thu 08/07/04 at 21:35
Regular
"French the Fries!"
Hey,

I got the game today, and think it's great because I loved the first two...

Anyway, I got it on Xbox and heard that there are many glictches, but I have yet to find a single one (I think).

Can someone please tell me what they are.

Thanks.
Thu 08/07/04 at 15:13
Regular
Completed it last night.

The Undercover mode seemed to identify the majority of the problems. While enjoyable, the story was somewhat underwhelming and the frustrating "repeat until perfect" mission structure was a little dated.

Still, I'm keeping it for directing, and the superb "Take A Ride" mode. The chases are great, and the level design is spot on - lots of scope for exploration and imaginative ways to evade the police.

Probably 7.5/10 or thereabouts.
Wed 07/07/04 at 22:46
Regular
I wouldn't even consider it for a game of the week as my enjoyment can't hide the technical disaster and poor testing that went into the game.

Was great fun to play but I don't think I could face going back over some of the tedious missions and the LIVE video replay feature was used to its limits.

One to buy again towards the end of the year on the cheap but not one I am interested in playing through more than once.

Get a new team, new Publisher and get back to basics. It tried to cram the free nature of GTA into a game that really didn't look much further than the front seat of each vehicle (the awful boats excluded). I didn't care much for the bike sections either.

I want cars, classic cars, plenty of police chases, full destructible environments, multi story car parks galore, lots of jumps and side paths, more alleys, a gutted graphical engine and a new sound base. Most of all I want them to just stick with the driving, keep all other things to a minimum as quite frankly, it will never match up to GTA from that point of view, nothing will.
Wed 07/07/04 at 21:07
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
In my opinion it certainly falls way short for a potential game of the year. I still like messing around in free ride mode for short bursts, but it really should have been far better.
Wed 07/07/04 at 21:03
Regular
As much as I care for presentation, a lot of people could have played Tanner and pulled off the voice. How it got through testing with all the obvious floors baffles me to be honest, this was after all one of the supposed games of the year.
Wed 07/07/04 at 20:03
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well it's good for me that a lot of people are trading their Driver games, as I'm hoping to pick up a second hand copy on Friday.

But I agree with you Alastair, they should either drastically improve their on-foot sections, or scrap them altogether. Martin Edmunson stated that Driver isn't supposed to be like GTA as it's a car chase sim and not a crime sim, and I've said that too. But when you think about it, Driver does try to imitate GTA with it's on-foot sections. If it was intended to be a car chase simulator, then why the need for on-foot sections in the first place?

Plus, I thought about something else today whilst I was reading a review of Driver. Wouldn't they have been better spending more money and effort improving the gameplay, than spending millions on celebrity voice-overs?
Wed 07/07/04 at 15:06
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
the bit that really got me was the ending! i mean WTF??? its about 20 seconds long and just made it all feel pointless!
Tue 06/07/04 at 23:45
Regular
I completed it and sold it on last weekend. Enjoyed it for a while but there was no way trading replays in Free Mode would keep me going, not with all the games I have and that are coming out over the next few months.

They need to gut it and start it all over again, unless they get the sharp end of the knife like the morons who worked on The Angel of Darkness, it wouldn't surprise me actually because despite the sales figures I have seen far more traded in and brought back for cash back from the few minutes I spent in GAME and Gamestation last weekend than any other game. 3 people alone in the same queue as me where taking the PS2 versions back, these were 3 people looking to trade in for Uefa 2004 mind you.

I enjoyed it but make no mistake they need to gut it, completely. Scrap the boat sections, work with Rockstar or a similar team to get the on foot sections mastered, failing that scrap them all together and just concentrate on the driving sections as at their heart they were as good as I remember them from the PSONE days, just a shame the rest of the game stayed behind for old time’s sake instead of trying to match or better what Rockstar have done with the GTA games.

I want to see a game that resembles the story and the effort put into the FMV scenes, not something tagged on as an after thought like the majority of Driv3r.
Tue 06/07/04 at 19:55
Regular
"Selected"
The Calita chase is particularly annoying. I think it's bad enough that she drives with laser-like precision in a faster car than you, but what makes it worse is that if you try to ram her off the road, she just shuns your pathetic attempts. It would have been nice to have the option to take her out before she get's to the bridge.

I don't blame you for stopping at that mission, it only goes downhill from there.
Tue 06/07/04 at 19:41
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'm just three mission away from finishing the game, but I can't be bothered doing it for some reason. I've unlocked everything I wanted, so there really isn't much point in me stressing myself out trying to chase Calita. Plus I'm going to get the PS2 version on Friday, but I've found a cheat for the PS2 version which allows you to have all missions complete. So I may just do that, because I can't be bothered going through it again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.