GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shenmue 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue 2'.
Sat 10/07/04 at 21:09
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
After being a great fan of the first I got this for a tenner. Well first of all its different mainly bigger and theres alot more crime compared to Japan. So far I have learned the Wude and I am sleeping at Master Lao Shao's (Or something like that) but whoose stupid idea was it to reset all of the books every day? I got to the last 2 piles and now I have to do everything again.

Oh well it seems ok but it still doesn't live up to Shenmue the greatness that is Shenmue.
Sun 11/07/04 at 17:07
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Just met Ren so the here come the good bits right? He tried to stab but i have lightning fast reactions on QTE's so im fine.
Sun 11/07/04 at 12:01
Regular
They are both excellent games, finished them both several times over.

The problem with Shenmue 2 is that it takes longer for the story to get going and until you meet Ren for the first time (Dreamcast disc 2) the story strays away from the first Shenmue and instead it is more about getting to grips with the new maps which are far bigger and more confusing than the first. You also spend a while searching for your bag and what is missing from it etc which also eats into the main story of the game.

The first overall is the better game however once the second gets going it isn't far behind.

Spoonbeast pointed out the massive multi-story chase all done through QTE and the in game fight engine which is probably the game's finest moment and rightly so, it is fantastic to play through.

Give the game time though, it isn't far behind the brilliance that was Shenmue once it gets going. It does take longer to get going than the first but once it does it doesn't hold off right until the end. Street fights, chases, roof top battles, awesome QTE cinematics and some decent fights. All in there but rather than forcing you to one place all the time you can approach them in a different way and from a different area of the map which just adds to the confusion.

Awesome game though providing you put the time in.
Sun 11/07/04 at 11:52
Regular
I found it painfully dull.

I quite liked the first, though.
Sun 11/07/04 at 11:35
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Just passed a massive QTE which was fun and now im in the harbour trying to make $500 but why cant I just beat them up? Oh well still its not shining greatly anywhere but it sworth going through it at least once.
Sun 11/07/04 at 09:44
Regular
"eat toast!"
if you do the books properly i.e get them all out, you get a new, move. Utterly pointless and not useful. Shenmue was rich in places to go but the fighting was a bit tough thanks to the camera. But theres some great moments like trailing someone, fighting through 17 floors. Theres even a break out in one of the points in the game. But the ending, that was a bit of a cop out.
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:49
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
in the end i found the only thing that could have made the xbox version better would have been to have kept the jap voices.
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:05
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Yeah I heard about that but is it as good as the 70 man battle in Shenmue? That was just immense. Im guessing the talking is with the girl who is o nthe front sleeve of Shenmue and you also dream about her in the first game.
Sat 10/07/04 at 21:54
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
Dakarus Joe wrote:
> Its not too hard to find your way. Actually I found it quite easy. Not
> many fights though and no more great fight music which is a pain but
> still.
u wait till u get nearer the end, when u have to save a guy in a building, theres fights on every floor.
Trust me shenmue 2 starts off slow but then its goes into overdrive for a bit before u go to guilen[sp]then its a lot of talking followed by a big cliffhanger[only cause were still waiting for shenmue 3!!!]
Sat 10/07/04 at 21:22
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Now im trying to catch a leaf. Jesus its hard one thing that is grating on my nerves is the constant "No your not ready yet do this then do that" it does get a bit tedious. But I am an avid fan so im sticking with it.
Sat 10/07/04 at 21:18
Regular
The way everyone says the same thing over and over also really grated on me. Probably find I'd think the same if I went back to the original actually, just have to make I never replay it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.