GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice for next purchase"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/07/04 at 00:21
Regular
Ok, well basically I'm considering buying a new game soon, but I dont want to waste my money on anything poor. I'm not really up to date in the Xbox games scene... or the gamecube one for that matter, used to read up on everything, all different now though.

The games I currently have are:

Halo
Metal gear Solid 2
Need For Speed Underground
Splinter Cell 2
Soldier of Fortune 2 (this game makes me feel physically ill when I play it... glad I picked it up second hand. I literally cant play for longer than 30 minutes without wanting to spew)
Midtown Madness 3 (ahaha)
Rainbow 6 3
GTA Double pack

Just thought I'd also mention that the only one of these games I've completed is Metal Gear Solid 2, the others simply havent managed to make me play them. I spend an enormous amount of time playing Tactical Ops online and working on Frag-Ops (*cough* [URL]http://www.frag-ops.com[/URL] *cough* Subtle plug..) yet I cant seem to find a game that will stop me doing this. MGS2 did it temporarily, but I completed that a few months ago now.

So, I have two questions to ask really. Firstly, which of these games would you recommend I spend some more time with, and actually play past the first few levels/missions/whatever, and secondly, what game should I buy now? A few weeks ago I thought of buying Manhunt, but changed my mind in the shop and bought SOF2 for about £10, but I want a new game, and the following have my eye:

Red Dead Revolver
Ninja Gaiden

Theres no doubt plenty of topics about both games lying around... least I know there are several for Ninja Gaiden, but has anyone played both and would like to recommend one over the other? I'm open to suggestions though, so if anyone wants to suggest something, I'm all ears.

Cheers.
Mon 12/07/04 at 09:28
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
For value for money go for Ninja Gaiden, even once you complete it there is tons to unlock, and there is a Xbox Live update to it later this year which will add loads more stuff to it.

Full Spectrum Warrior is good...but I don't know how much I'll go back to it once I complete it.

Riddick - great looker but so far all the reviews I've seen suggest it'sa tad easy, which means it'll be filling the second hand shelves.

Ninja Gaiden, fantastic game and challenging.
Mon 12/07/04 at 08:12
Regular
"8==="
Wrath Unleashed's my favourite blend of Genre's so far this year.

Games-blendwise I'd go for Armed and Dangerous as a great blend of Serious Sam and Brute Force.
Mon 12/07/04 at 07:46
Regular
Forgive me if I'm wrong as I never played it - but isn't Eternal Darkness just a Survival Horror? I don't know (as I say, I've never played it), but I thought it was.

FSW however, I would class as an original concept. Yes, it blends two genres - action shooter and RTS, but I have yet to see any other game which does this - and does it so well. The fact that it remains an RTS, but pits you right in the action with gunshots and explosions going off all around you - rather than placing you in the Sky like some kind of God - was an excellent idea. If they'd stuck to a top-down style, it would look as generic as every other top-down RTS.

It's not my favourite game, but it's damn good at what it does.
Mon 12/07/04 at 07:38
Regular
As for the most original concept, how could you forget Eternal Darkness? Not only one of the best games ever but by far the most original game in the last 4 years.

Full Spectrum Warrior has been done before, they blended two different genres together superbly but it's not amazingly original.
Mon 12/07/04 at 07:36
Regular
Full Spectrum Warrior is excellent, as is Ninja Gaiden, Spider-Man 2, Riddick and PSI-OPS.

In this order...

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Ninja Gaiden
Full Spectrum Warrior
Spider-Man 2
PSI-OPS

Keep you going for months.
Mon 12/07/04 at 07:26
Regular
FSW is a fantastic game, made evwen better by online co-op. It is a little easy once you figure it out, but it is by far the most original concept I've seen in this generation.

I'd recommend it indefinitely.
Mon 12/07/04 at 07:16
Regular
"8==="
If you like tactical stuff then I guess Full Spectrum Warrior's worth a look.

Haven't got around to getting it myself yet though.
Mon 12/07/04 at 00:57
Regular
"That's right!"
SOF2 was an abomination. OK, it wasn't that bad, but compared to the original (which was pretty flawed) it's awful. And that's the PC version, I can only imagine how bad the console version is.
Mon 12/07/04 at 00:34
Regular
Yeh PGR2 does look pretty good, only recently started to get into racing games though. Can pick it up very cheaply at my local games shop as well. I should really have a look at some reviews for Ninja Gaiden, as I havent got a clue what its about or what kind of a game it is. For some reason I imagine a stealth game which I've completely had enough of, I've heard its the completely opposite though.

[edit] Oh and about SOF2, I played the original on the PC... well the demo, and the demo of #2 as well. They seemed alright, if not brilliant. Hence picking it up for a tenner. But there is something seriously wrong with the frames in that game. Amazingly jerky, which is something I haven't experienced with my Xbox before. Have a feeling thats something to do with why I feel ill whilst playing it. Amusing thing is I played it whilst my girlfriend was around and once I finished playing we both felt ill :\
Mon 12/07/04 at 00:31
"I love yo... lamp."
Red Dead Revolver is alright, but isn't brilliant. In saying that I haven't played an awful lot of it myself yet. Ninja Gaiden on the other hand is an absolute classic.

The one Xbox must own missing from your collection is PGR2. Trade in NFSU for it and get rid of SOF2, even if you have to throw it in the bin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.