GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice for next purchase"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/07/04 at 00:21
Regular
Ok, well basically I'm considering buying a new game soon, but I dont want to waste my money on anything poor. I'm not really up to date in the Xbox games scene... or the gamecube one for that matter, used to read up on everything, all different now though.

The games I currently have are:

Halo
Metal gear Solid 2
Need For Speed Underground
Splinter Cell 2
Soldier of Fortune 2 (this game makes me feel physically ill when I play it... glad I picked it up second hand. I literally cant play for longer than 30 minutes without wanting to spew)
Midtown Madness 3 (ahaha)
Rainbow 6 3
GTA Double pack

Just thought I'd also mention that the only one of these games I've completed is Metal Gear Solid 2, the others simply havent managed to make me play them. I spend an enormous amount of time playing Tactical Ops online and working on Frag-Ops (*cough* [URL]http://www.frag-ops.com[/URL] *cough* Subtle plug..) yet I cant seem to find a game that will stop me doing this. MGS2 did it temporarily, but I completed that a few months ago now.

So, I have two questions to ask really. Firstly, which of these games would you recommend I spend some more time with, and actually play past the first few levels/missions/whatever, and secondly, what game should I buy now? A few weeks ago I thought of buying Manhunt, but changed my mind in the shop and bought SOF2 for about £10, but I want a new game, and the following have my eye:

Red Dead Revolver
Ninja Gaiden

Theres no doubt plenty of topics about both games lying around... least I know there are several for Ninja Gaiden, but has anyone played both and would like to recommend one over the other? I'm open to suggestions though, so if anyone wants to suggest something, I'm all ears.

Cheers.
Tue 13/07/04 at 18:42
Regular
"8==="
I was talking about the RPG games with books etc.
Tue 13/07/04 at 18:25
Regular
Best sanity effect in Eternal Darkness was the fly on the TV screen, first time it happened I got up and smacked my TV with a newspaper thinking it was real.
Tue 13/07/04 at 18:20
Regular
I've got Eternal Darkness :P But erm... its a Gamecube game? I wanted Xbox recommendations :D

Anyway, in the end I ignored the enthusiastic advice about Ninja Gaiden and settled on buying PGR2. Paid way too much for it, but thankfully I'm finding it a very good game. Best graphics I've seen in a racing game since GT3, loads of cars, great sense of speed, decent music (plus playing Ash's new album at the same time is a nice feeling :D ), plenty of stuff to do... perfect!

Ta for the advice guys, will probably make Ninja Gaiden my next purchase.
Mon 12/07/04 at 13:56
Regular
I several doubt an age old PC game had the save game errors, critical system problems and all the other crazy effects like walking through the ground when your meter gets low.
Mon 12/07/04 at 13:35
Regular
"8==="
They did rip the entire concept from the Call of Cthulu RPG game though.

Not exactly original.
Mon 12/07/04 at 13:33
Regular
Eternal Darkness is to Survival Horror what Mario 64 was to the platform genre.

It went down the brave route of actually telling a story, a story with twists, a story with a decent plot and a story which actually had you wanting to play on in order to find out exactly what started it all off.

You basically play through the Chapters of the book of Eternal Darkness which you read through as the daughter of a murdered grand father who died in a brutal way with his head decapitated and only a ring left on his finger has evidence. You come back to the mansion later that day where you set out to uncover what force had actually caused your grand father to die in such a horrific manner.

You play through the game in the present day with the main character but when you unveil the book of Eternal Darkness you then dive into the chapters of the book to play through 12 different characters which tell the story of Eternal Darkness which sees you going back as far as Gladiator times in order to solve your grand father’s death.

You will encounter something called the sanity effect which you will come across as your sanity drains away when you don’t kill the zombies or other in game creatures for a set period of time. One of them happens when you go to save your game and suddenly the save game will disappear, a few seconds later it returns. Another one will come up with a black screen saying “System error please reboot”. They are all highly believable and some are bloody freaky but highly original.

The whole package with Eternal Darkness is just superb; it smacks of originality and imagination and the actual speed at which the story unfolds stays in tune with each of the chapters of the book. At the end of each chapter you will return to the mansion where you will continue the story in the present day but you will have acquired new items from the book which will carry forward in time for you to use hundreds of years later where the main section of the game takes place.

I am sure a few others will vouch for me when I say it is not only one of the most original games ever but also one of the best. Full Spectrum Warrior really isn’t in the same league.
Mon 12/07/04 at 12:40
Regular
"diablo"
Yo dude a great game is CRIMSON SKIES... although its a flying game, secretly its a shoot-em-up. its great fun and have just finished it myself. there is online extras to download and also has online play it is a really great buy. Aint too expensive anymore either as it is fairly old so shouldn't cost a fortune.
Mon 12/07/04 at 10:47
Regular
"8==="
Yeah SOF2 has some 'back to basics' appeal to it, and some of the level design is actually damn good.

All it needs is a stats system. :S
Mon 12/07/04 at 10:45
Regular
Soldier of Fortune 2 single player is the gaming equivalent of having a red hot poker shoved up your ass, it really is awful. Online though it's one of my favourite Live games even though it's technically pretty damn rubbish.

I'd go for Ninja Gaiden or Manhunt if I was you.
Mon 12/07/04 at 10:36
Regular
Out of those two, get Ninja Gaiden, it's an amazing game. Although I'd recommend Project Gotham Racing 2 over that, so far it's the best XBox game I've played, and easily one of the best racing titles of all time, if not the best.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.