GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mainstream gaming © 1995 Sony inc."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/06/01 at 19:37
Regular
You may scorn but you know all know it’s true, so don’t deny it. The fact of the matter is Sony brought gaming to the masses and quite frankly we should worship them for it.

As you all know in 1995 Sony brought out a console that equalled the power of the arcades. Audiences were mesmerised at the concept of being able to play Ridge Racer in their own homes. But even this outstanding achievement wasn’t the secret of Sony’s success, as we all know the PlayStation was Nintendo’s brainchild. No, there was one game, one killer app that would open the nation’s eyes to the fantastic world of PlayStation culture.

And that was WipE’out”.

And what was it about WipE’out”? Was it the Stunning gameplay? Fantastic graphics? Cool weapons? Adrenaline rush? No, none of these. It was the music. Yes, the music. WipE’out” was possibly the first game ever to feature really good music by well known artists. Consequently, millions of clubbers bought it and the PlayStation became a fashion accessory overnight, making consoles the ultimate after-the-pub entertainment. Coupled with an excellent marketing campaign, the PlayStation brought mainstream gaming to the world.

In this instance I can really say “PlayStation: It’s the Daddy.”
Thu 28/06/01 at 23:05
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Going back to Turbonutter's original post, there are a few points that need debating here. 'Bringing gaming to the masses' could be argue till kingdom come:

you have the ZX Spectrum, the first mass produced gaming machine (ignoring Atari for a second which only played one game compared to the Spectrum's infinite variations).

you have the first true dedicated games consoles in the NES and the Master System, both sold in their millions.

you have games like Wolfenstein and Dune 2 which were the precursors of most of the games that we play today (Dune 2 could be said to be the father of all future RTS type games like Command and Conquer). These were originally released on the IBM PC, so that too would be a candidate for bringing gaming to the masses.

As for the first console to produce 'arcade quality' graphics, back in the late 80s, arcade graphics weren't all that great, and 'perfect ports' were available on the lowly 16-bit Sega Megadrive. The arcades were where you went back in those days to view the latest games, not necessarily the latest graphics.

You could also argue that it wasn't a console that brought gaming to the masses, but the games themselves. Games like Star Wars, Pac-Man, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Gauntlet and so on, many of who's design principles are used in our modern games today, first appeared in the arcades, so you could give them credit.

As for Sony removing the geeky image from gamers, that I concede is a valid point. But hardcore gamers are only a couple of rungs above the trainspotting fraternity in most people's view. Gaming shouldn't be about what image you want to present of yourself, it should be about enjoying games. Sony helped with image presentation, but I think the games themselves made the mass appeal in the first instance, not the consoles.
Thu 28/06/01 at 22:41
Regular
Or simply play Excitebike 64.
Thu 28/06/01 at 22:39
Regular
turbonutter wrote:

Another reason was that I looked at the
> Ninty games and I realised that most of them probably wouldn't be my
> thing and there wasn't THAT many racers I liked the sound of.

A lot of the best PS racers made it to the N64. Wipeout and Ridge Racer for starters.

The only thing we missed were 100 generic F1's, 100 generic Rally games and Gran Tourismo. And I don't miss them.

Both systems had the most realistic racer around though:

Micro Machines.

None of this silly "Hit the side at 100 MPH and gently bumb off with out a scratch" or "Drive through mud without get car muddy".

It realistically simulates remote control racing whether with a bunch of kids. They make their own tracks in the kitchen, the Garden, in school labs, even the pond.

It's just like remote control racing in your own home.

Similar controls and everything and absolutely realistic courses whether it be around the breakfast table or accross rulers on school desks.

Now THAT is a realistic racing game.
Thu 28/06/01 at 22:35
Regular
Didn't sell?? YOu mean it sold the game?
Thu 28/06/01 at 22:32
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
> Let's see how brief I can make my views on this topic this time
> around:

Right time, right place.
They only sped up the
> inevitable, if they even did that.

I'll expand this for VenomByte.

Nintendo brought consoles to the masses with the Nes. It started to take the geeky image out of gaming by being easy to use without having to know how to program to enjoy it.
Little loading times and fun games.

Sega took this even further with the Mega Drive and added the cool aspect of things with more violent and fast games. The Snes also contributed cool games like F-Zero.

Playstation was simply the next step up from that. Wipeout didn't sell because of it's music. That was one of it's features but it didn't make gaming mainstream.

Gaming was becoming more and more mainstream with each generation. I'm not sure whether it has reached it's peak or it's still going. Either way, Sony might have used marketing to make it a bit more mainstream than it might otherwise have been but it would've become mainstream anyway.

Do you see?
Thu 28/06/01 at 22:10
Regular
"You've upset me"
Wipeout on the N64 was rather good :-D
Thu 28/06/01 at 21:32
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Wipeout Rocks indeed turbonutter!

I played the demo of 2097 more than I played the full games I had. I then got a lend of wipeout 1 and I loved it just as much.

Prase Wipeout!
Thu 28/06/01 at 21:28
Regular
"Back For Good"
Playstation is the most succesfull console of all time!!
Thu 28/06/01 at 21:19
Regular
"You've upset me"
Basically Robin, that post is a pile of warm bull. It's absolute rubbish.
Thu 28/06/01 at 21:08
Regular
turbonutter wrote:
> You may scorn but you know all know it’s true, so don’t deny it. The
> fact of the matter is Sony brought gaming to the masses

(So the SNES didn't when Super Mario World became one of the biggest selling games of all time?)

and quite
> frankly we should worship them for it.

Ok then, you and a bunch of others who want to 'worship' Sony, go to the Bridgend factory in Wales. I'll get my Uncle to film it so I can see you worshipping it!

As you all know in 1995
> Sony brought out a console that equalled the power of the arcades.

Before then was a similar console called the Sega Saturn.

> Audiences were mesmerised at the concept of being able to play Ridge
> Racer in their own homes. But even this outstanding achievement
> wasn’t the secret of Sony’s success, as we all know the PlayStation
> was Nintendo’s brainchild. No, there was one game, one killer app
> that would open the nation’s eyes to the fantastic world of
> PlayStation culture.

And that was WipE’out”.

And what was it
> about WipE’out”? Was it the Stunning gameplay? Fantastic graphics?
> Cool weapons? Adrenaline rush? No, none of these. It was the music.
> Yes, the music. WipE’out” was possibly the first game ever to
> feature really good music by well known artists. Consequently,
> millions of clubbers bought it and the PlayStation became a fashion
> accessory overnight, making consoles the ultimate after-the-pub
> entertainment. Coupled with an excellent marketing campaign, the
> PlayStation brought mainstream gaming to the world.

In this
> instance I can really say “PlayStation: It’s the Daddy.”

Right.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.