GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mainstream gaming © 1995 Sony inc."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/06/01 at 19:37
Regular
You may scorn but you know all know it’s true, so don’t deny it. The fact of the matter is Sony brought gaming to the masses and quite frankly we should worship them for it.

As you all know in 1995 Sony brought out a console that equalled the power of the arcades. Audiences were mesmerised at the concept of being able to play Ridge Racer in their own homes. But even this outstanding achievement wasn’t the secret of Sony’s success, as we all know the PlayStation was Nintendo’s brainchild. No, there was one game, one killer app that would open the nation’s eyes to the fantastic world of PlayStation culture.

And that was WipE’out”.

And what was it about WipE’out”? Was it the Stunning gameplay? Fantastic graphics? Cool weapons? Adrenaline rush? No, none of these. It was the music. Yes, the music. WipE’out” was possibly the first game ever to feature really good music by well known artists. Consequently, millions of clubbers bought it and the PlayStation became a fashion accessory overnight, making consoles the ultimate after-the-pub entertainment. Coupled with an excellent marketing campaign, the PlayStation brought mainstream gaming to the world.

In this instance I can really say “PlayStation: It’s the Daddy.”
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You may scorn but you know all know it’s true, so don’t deny it. The fact of the matter is Sony brought gaming to the masses and quite frankly we should worship them for it.

As you all know in 1995 Sony brought out a console that equalled the power of the arcades. Audiences were mesmerised at the concept of being able to play Ridge Racer in their own homes. But even this outstanding achievement wasn’t the secret of Sony’s success, as we all know the PlayStation was Nintendo’s brainchild. No, there was one game, one killer app that would open the nation’s eyes to the fantastic world of PlayStation culture.

And that was WipE’out”.

And what was it about WipE’out”? Was it the Stunning gameplay? Fantastic graphics? Cool weapons? Adrenaline rush? No, none of these. It was the music. Yes, the music. WipE’out” was possibly the first game ever to feature really good music by well known artists. Consequently, millions of clubbers bought it and the PlayStation became a fashion accessory overnight, making consoles the ultimate after-the-pub entertainment. Coupled with an excellent marketing campaign, the PlayStation brought mainstream gaming to the world.

In this instance I can really say “PlayStation: It’s the Daddy.”
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:40
Regular
"You've upset me"
And you tell us to stop being biased! This really should be in the Sony forum!
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, because it's about mainstream gaming.
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
No it's not, it's pure Sony bias. It's basically a console wars post...
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:50
"possibly impossible"
Yep. We should worship Sony, because they made console gaming mainstream. Just think, if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have the games shops full of late teens saying how good a game is just on the strength of its graphics, we wouldn't have games that relied on music to sell or simply on a licence from a popular tv series, despite the non-existent gameplay.

The 'masses' are all those people that wouldn't have played games before Sony came along. Would you have bought a console if Sony hadn't made them 'cool'? I'm sure many of you would. Yes, Sony brought a certain advertising expertise to the games market, but did this help gaming? There are many pros and cons for this change in marketing, I'm sure you can think of many more yourself.

I'm not anti-sony, as many of you know well, they made a great console for it's time and I bought one when they cost a bomb, but they didn't single-handedly save gaming like some people imagine, and they certainly haven't shown good taste in all their mass-marketing decisions either.
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:52
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Let's see how brief I can make my views on this topic this time around:

Right time, right place.
They only sped up the inevitable, if they even did that.

Fin
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well I'm still thankful to Sony because it really is true that they made gaming cool. Now, my first console was a Master System but then gaming was seen as "geeky". Now it's not, which can only be a good thing as it makes me feel better that I am a hardcore gamer. Also, since there is a much huger market so developers try harder with their games.

Now I know you are all Ninty-loving Sony-hating small minded biased prejudgemental planktons but the fact is IT'S TRUE!
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:59
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
You can't say that without the playsation then nobody would like games.

If the playstation was never released then when the N64 was released, it would have demolished the Saturn and everybody would have bought the N64. Then Nintendo would be the only company with a decent console out. Everyone would love it (because it would have by far the best games they had ever played on a console) and people would continue buying Nintendo machines in the future because they were so disappointed with the Sega Saturn. Sega would then die out and make their wise move to just software development and Nintendo would conquer the market.

Gamesplayers would then get the best of both companies because Sega would have to publish all of their games on a Nintendo console because there would be no other consoles out to publish them on. This would be much better for gamesplayers because most of the games on the playstation would have been released on a Nintendo console. Everyone would have the same console and get to play all the games they wanted.

Another thing, if Sony had never made the playstation, then would Microsoft really be making the X-Box. If not, then we would be free of two demon consoles. In fact, all this negative talk about the X-Box has gotten to my head. I have nothing against the X-Box. I think it looks quite good but everyone (well most people anyway) on here think it looks poor and they are filling my head with it. STOP IT!!!
Thu 28/06/01 at 20:02
"possibly impossible"
turbonutter wrote:
> Also, since there is a much huger market so developers try
> harder with their games.

Yep, like Simpsons Wrestling, Muppets Racer and many others. Look, it doesn't make too much difference to the games, othe than there may be more money spent on larger publisher's titles and less small games firms doing well.

I'm not saying its a bad thing that Sony decided to market to a different audience (not making games 'cool', just acceptable to more people) but I don't think it made that much difference to the games world.

If Nintendo or Sega had done the same thing then it would have been exactly the same, if Sony had only advertised to the same markets as these two then they still would have done well, but they knew how to use the media and it's all to do with how to sell something. Sony have had enough experience of Hi-fis and TVs to know exactly how to sell their stock and the Playstation was just the same.
Thu 28/06/01 at 20:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I didn't say nobody would like games.

Sure, the N64 would have come out but it was still fairly child-like and if it hadn't been for Sony appealing to maturer gamers and post-pub tourneys, the N64 would never have changed its image.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.