GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"outstanding"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/06/01 at 23:09
Regular
The most important factor for a game is the gameplay. It is the first thing developers look at, how will this game be fun to play?

Most well known developers know this and do that. Yet what makes it stand out? Well this is where areas such as Graphics, clever weapons, innovative ideas, music, sound effects, good control system, long length, thrilling cut scenes, involving storylines, good character interaction and realism comes into it!

I'll name one of my favourite games, Body Harvest, an absolute cracker of a game, you can drive fire engines, motorbikes, police cars and walk it was stunning! Yet it didn't sell? Why? Well it had basic weapons, the controls on some of the vehicals were felt a bit odd and more significantly the Graphics were crap!

This games goes into the pile filled with millions of good games so why is it Perfect Dark, Zelda and Conker are in the outstanding game pile? Well Zelda is like many other adventure games but it has graphics to blow you away, the game is huge, it has a good storyline, it has brilliant character interaction, is addictive, has excellent music oh the list goes on...

Conker has probably the best 64 graphics around, addictive gameplay, is very original, great music, funny, good character interaction and a involving story line with huge twists at the end. Perfect Dark's graphics are jaw dropping, the games AI is way ahead of its time, The guns are original, the multiplayer is one of the best in the world and the music is excellent.

It is these factors that has made these games recognisable the world over, meanwhile Body Harvest which is just as fun to play as the above three goes unnoticed.

The future of gaming inolves improving all of the above and more in order to make games stand above all the rest. Keep an eye out for the future games and you'll see that if you strip it down it is the same as all those other games with a similar genre but dress it up in these fancy clothes and you will have one of the best games in the world.

Here's to the future

Dringo
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:30
We all know that the mixture between gameplay, sound and graphics is the most important thing to look out for, and not just any one of those factors.
Thu 28/06/01 at 18:59
Regular
Wow i put Gameplay is important this has nothing to do with the Graphic Vs Gameplay fight it is to do with how other factors make a game stand out!
Thu 28/06/01 at 15:32
Gameplay is much more important than the graphics. But the problem is that developers put so much time into creating outstanding graphics that they forget to put in gripping gameplay. Look at Black and White. State of the art graphics but the gameplay leaves LOTS to be desired. And Yet Civ 2. Rubbish graphics but the gameplay is so addictive that I wont install it on my computer because I just want to play it for ages...

I cant say the same about B&W! It leaves lots to be desired so I vote that if a game plays well its better than if it looks good.

Seeya
Thu 28/06/01 at 09:56
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
First, the PS2 has some great games seeing how old it is. SSX, Timesplitters, DOA2, Tekken Tag, Smugglers Run, Crazy Taxi, MTV/MG2, GT3, Fur fighters, ZOE...

Then there is Tony Hawkes, SSX tricky, Airblade, Herdy Gerdy, Jak and Daxter, Crash, Getaway, SRC, WRC, and MGS2.

All of these have graphics that the PS1 could not have done. what are you all complaining about?
Thu 28/06/01 at 01:42
Regular
i saw an american football game running on the PS2 today. dunno which one it was, but the graphics completly blew me away. We can talk all day about how the gameplay comes first, but the graphics are a major pull factor.
Thu 28/06/01 at 00:25
Regular
How innocently funny that comment sounds!
Thu 28/06/01 at 00:24
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I think the PS2 needs some good games.
Wed 27/06/01 at 23:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I thoroughly agree with all this gameplay over graphics yada yada yada but I spent £300 on my PS2 and I do expect a little visual treat. Also, all my friends are shallow little scroats and always ALWAYS judge games on graphics. D***s.
Wed 27/06/01 at 23:09
Regular
The most important factor for a game is the gameplay. It is the first thing developers look at, how will this game be fun to play?

Most well known developers know this and do that. Yet what makes it stand out? Well this is where areas such as Graphics, clever weapons, innovative ideas, music, sound effects, good control system, long length, thrilling cut scenes, involving storylines, good character interaction and realism comes into it!

I'll name one of my favourite games, Body Harvest, an absolute cracker of a game, you can drive fire engines, motorbikes, police cars and walk it was stunning! Yet it didn't sell? Why? Well it had basic weapons, the controls on some of the vehicals were felt a bit odd and more significantly the Graphics were crap!

This games goes into the pile filled with millions of good games so why is it Perfect Dark, Zelda and Conker are in the outstanding game pile? Well Zelda is like many other adventure games but it has graphics to blow you away, the game is huge, it has a good storyline, it has brilliant character interaction, is addictive, has excellent music oh the list goes on...

Conker has probably the best 64 graphics around, addictive gameplay, is very original, great music, funny, good character interaction and a involving story line with huge twists at the end. Perfect Dark's graphics are jaw dropping, the games AI is way ahead of its time, The guns are original, the multiplayer is one of the best in the world and the music is excellent.

It is these factors that has made these games recognisable the world over, meanwhile Body Harvest which is just as fun to play as the above three goes unnoticed.

The future of gaming inolves improving all of the above and more in order to make games stand above all the rest. Keep an eye out for the future games and you'll see that if you strip it down it is the same as all those other games with a similar genre but dress it up in these fancy clothes and you will have one of the best games in the world.

Here's to the future

Dringo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.