GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tim who?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/06/01 at 20:56
Regular
Ah yes, British tennis is picking up, and as many of you should be watching right now on BBC2 - our very own newfound British superstar has emerged from losing the first two sets convincingly to the world's greatest tennis player of recent times, to being in the final and fifth set, about to lose unfortunately.

Oh he has just lost! BUT HEY!!

Barry Cowan is an absolute hero - he turned the third set round and won the forth, but Sampras won, as we all expected.

So what does this mean?! Well, Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski are both on form - winning their second rounds, but it always looked ominous for a player that I had never heard of before.

Cowan has shown what we brits are good at - and full credit to him, he'll be all over the back pages as this really wasn't expected to happen - determination. WOW!

I have to say this match was one of the greatest I have ever witnessed, with Cowan never giving up, I am sure his 250 + ranking in the world will be dramatically reduced.

Don't you just hate that Sampras sweat drip? Grr that annoys me.

Anyway - well done Mr Cowan.

Your thoughts?

He played with style, stamina and confidence. I had the feeling he wouldn't win, but the hope was always there. Darn good player, with a very, very bright future - look out Henman, this guy's one of the best.

Excellent backhand, superb flair and serve.

Dan2K1
Wed 27/06/01 at 20:56
Ah yes, British tennis is picking up, and as many of you should be watching right now on BBC2 - our very own newfound British superstar has emerged from losing the first two sets convincingly to the world's greatest tennis player of recent times, to being in the final and fifth set, about to lose unfortunately.

Oh he has just lost! BUT HEY!!

Barry Cowan is an absolute hero - he turned the third set round and won the forth, but Sampras won, as we all expected.

So what does this mean?! Well, Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski are both on form - winning their second rounds, but it always looked ominous for a player that I had never heard of before.

Cowan has shown what we brits are good at - and full credit to him, he'll be all over the back pages as this really wasn't expected to happen - determination. WOW!

I have to say this match was one of the greatest I have ever witnessed, with Cowan never giving up, I am sure his 250 + ranking in the world will be dramatically reduced.

Don't you just hate that Sampras sweat drip? Grr that annoys me.

Anyway - well done Mr Cowan.

Your thoughts?

He played with style, stamina and confidence. I had the feeling he wouldn't win, but the hope was always there. Darn good player, with a very, very bright future - look out Henman, this guy's one of the best.

Excellent backhand, superb flair and serve.

Dan2K1
Wed 27/06/01 at 21:48
This has been the best match of the championship so far. I loved every minute of it. Barry really did himself proud. My sister really wanted Sampras to win but the rest of the family wanted Cowan because he played superbly!

Dont you think the BBC interactive service is great?

seeya Ben
Wed 27/06/01 at 21:53
Yes. Well, Sampras was superb. BUT He almost beat him, and well done for replying.

He's talking now in an interview.

Brilliant.
Thu 28/06/01 at 12:05
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Dissapointing effort from Lee Childs though, the supposed superstar of the future. Out in the first round, and he's supposed to be the youngster with the most potential, according to Henman, who said "He's better than I was at that age.".

Still, here's hoping he does better next time round.
Thu 28/06/01 at 13:22
Regular
"not dead"
Yep, Barry Cowan typical British hero.

Why?

He lost!

Why do we so love the loser in this country?

As a nation we cheered on Frank Bruno loose god knows how many attempts at the title, then we ignore Lennox Lewis achievements.

Barry Cowan a hero?

No, to be a hero, he'd have to win the tournament.

Barry Cowan a half decent British tennis player?

Maybe if he gets a little further next year, or gets to play in any other major tournaments!
Thu 28/06/01 at 18:53
VenomByte wrote:
> Dissapointing effort from Lee Childs though, the supposed superstar
> of the future. Out in the first round, and he's supposed

Surely it was the second round?
Thu 28/06/01 at 18:58
Regular
Dan2K1 wrote:

I have to say this match was one
> of the greatest I have ever witnessed, with Cowan never giving up, I
> am sure his 250 + ranking in the world will be dramatically
> reduced.

I hate to disagree with you Dan, :-), but His ranking won't go up as he didn't win. They get points for wins, not for coming back from 2 sets down, unfortunately.

Also, not being funny, but Sampras wasn't playing his best. Yes Cowan did well, but Sampras wasn't on form. If he had, Cowan would never had got that break in the 4th.
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Dan2K1 wrote:
> VenomByte wrote:
> Dissapointing effort from Lee Childs though,
> the supposed superstar
> of the future. Out in the first round,
> and he's supposed

Surely it was the second round?

Men's Singles Round 1
Nicolas Massu - Lee Childs 6:4 / 3:6 / 6:1 / 6:4
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:32
Your Honour wrote:
> Dan2K1 wrote:

I have to say this match was one
> of the
> greatest I have ever witnessed, with Cowan never giving up, I
>
> am sure his 250 + ranking in the world will be dramatically
>
> reduced.

I hate to disagree with you Dan, :-), but His ranking
> won't go up as he didn't win. They get points for wins, not for
> coming back from 2 sets down, unfortunately.

Also, not being
> funny, but Sampras wasn't playing his best. Yes Cowan did well, but
> Sampras wasn't on form. If he had, Cowan would never had got that
> break in the 4th.

Actually Your Honour, In Pete Sampras's interview, after the match, he said "You know, I was playing fine. I didn't feel like I did anything wrong" (Quote from wimbledon.org) That is why Cowan's win is so inspirational and amazing, because Pete was playing so well, and yet Cowan was playing better then that!

Seeya
Thu 28/06/01 at 22:05
Indeed Mr Cool.

Who lost to Henman?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.