GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It may annoy people but what the hay!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 22:15
Regular
The last two years have seen the inlux of tweenager listening to rock/alternative music. I'm not critercising the music as I listen to alot of it but it seenms as though it is now more of a fashion statement than anything else. Camden Town must be booming with the money they're making of Limp Biskit hoodies.

I'm glad that more rock bands are going to release more singles but it seems as though the 'fans' see that you have to dress in baggie trousers and a limp biskit hoodie to be a part of everyone else. They have to comform to everyone, it seems so trendy. They also wear the gloomy expressions on their face.

this is not suppose to be offensive I just want people, if there are any, to prove me wrong.
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:15
The last two years have seen the inlux of tweenager listening to rock/alternative music. I'm not critercising the music as I listen to alot of it but it seenms as though it is now more of a fashion statement than anything else. Camden Town must be booming with the money they're making of Limp Biskit hoodies.

I'm glad that more rock bands are going to release more singles but it seems as though the 'fans' see that you have to dress in baggie trousers and a limp biskit hoodie to be a part of everyone else. They have to comform to everyone, it seems so trendy. They also wear the gloomy expressions on their face.

this is not suppose to be offensive I just want people, if there are any, to prove me wrong.
Wed 27/06/01 at 11:53
It would be interesting to ask the bandwagon following fans about music pre Korn, to see what they know about grunge, thrash, hardcore, glam metal, classic punk, 70s rock, back to the blues. I get the impression that there's no interest in looking back and discovering great music from the past.
Wed 27/06/01 at 14:01
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I think that you have a valid point to some extent Borgdrone, the music that you mention is very much part of the MTV type scene ant the moment and is guilty by association of being more of a fashion statement than anything else.

Music does tend to breed this however, though looking at earlier music and the fashion that went with it you could probably make a case for it being the other way around. The ethos that is/was Punk, Mod, Rocker, Goth, Hip Hop etceteras was in place and evolved with the music rather than as an afterthought of the types of person that would identify with it.

It comes down to whether or not you buy into the music the whole hog, you buy the T-shirt and wear the trainers and the key chain. Not everybody will do this, you can’t look at the way I dress and guess the type of music that I listen to. But considering the importance of music on youth culture it isn’t really surprising that a lot of younger people do.

I’m sure that some of these people will be interested in bands that set the stage for this type of music and after a while they probably will get to know about these bands and appreciate where their current favourite’s were spawned from.

On the whole it can only be a good thing for this genre of music. The alternative is of course that your younger brother/sister listens to and wastes their money on serious bile, that they don’t even realise are shipping 60’s covers out to them half of the time.
Wed 27/06/01 at 14:02
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Sorry, valid point Godfather, had a brainfart but it has passed.
Wed 27/06/01 at 14:23
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
devo wrote:
> It would be interesting to ask the bandwagon following fans about
> music pre Korn, to see what they know about grunge, thrash,
> hardcore, glam metal, classic punk, 70s rock, back to the blues. I
> get the impression that there's no interest in looking back and
> discovering great music from the past.

I got into Metal back in 94' when I was still at school, But I kinda went back and discovered bands like Led Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rush etc. All bands that influenced the current crop of today's music

However, like every other trend that has preceded before this, Metal has become a fad for these sort of fans. I wouldn't worry, bands like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach to name but a few, will eventually fall into obscurity, nobody will give a monkey's uncle about them sooner or later.

The thing that annoys me most is that the bands who do deserve the recognition won't ever recieve it, especially when you've got a band like Papa 'Let's steal another Iron Maiden riff' Roach on the scene. The music biz is a shallow world!

As the late Bill Hicks once said in a roundabout way 'Corporate Rock Sucks!'

./Steve
Thu 28/06/01 at 15:57
Do you really expect the so called "tweenagers" (children about 8 to 12) to listen to bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin or even the Beatles? Come on what is the main reason for children liking bands or acts such as Likin Park, Limp Biskit or even Eminem? Image and swearing, they are the two simple reasons why children listen to such bands as those mentioned. Children at that age can not appreciate music the same way adults or teenagers can, for your average 9 year old kid they listen to Rap, nu Metal etc because there older brothers do, their friends do and that is why they want to dress like them to, they want to be cool and they want to fit in and what is more "cooler" to a young boy than a singer or band with bad attitude and bad language?
My only hope is that once these children grow out of their childish ways, they will learn to appreciate music for the music and not for it's image. When I was young I admit I listened to Pop music but Rap and Rave was really big then because of the drugs and the image again. As my grew into my teenage years I started to enjoy music and the culture but this time it was Grunge Suede, Nirvana, Radiohead but as I continued to progress in both age and understanding of music I grew out of the culture and image of music but that was the begging not the end.
As I hope for the generation now I discovered a rich heritage of music that I previously referred to as "Old Fogy Music" Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Blondie, merilion and many many more Don't get me wrong I still like modern music currently enjoying bands as diverse as The manic Street Preachers, Travis, Radio, Linkin Park, Brittany Spears Shaggy and even some Robbie Williams. But as I have gone on long enough Ill leave you with this thought, What was you visioning to when you was a "tweenager" and Why?
Thu 28/06/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mewtwo wrote:
> Do you really expect the so called "tweenagers" (children
> about 8 to 12) to listen to bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin or
> even the Beatles?

No I don't, and that's sad.

I grew up with my parents playing The Beatles, The Doors, Captain Beefheart, Dr John, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, all of the classics.
And I discovered that I loved them.
Then I found rap at school, being into stuff like NWA, Eric B and Rakim, Ice T, Stetsasonic...not because of swearing and image but because I liked the music.

I never had an interest in chart music, as a kid, a tweenager or now.
I agree with the post about Limp Bizkit and other "nu-metal" bands being a fad.

Rock music (as any other) is cyclical, the drek comes and is liked, then goes away again.

And, like the previous post, the true bands are never really appreciated.
Clutch, Tool, NIN, 60 Watt Shamen, Kyuss, Tom Waits, these guys dont get the press because they're not about the image, they are about the music.

I cant say I've ever heard a Papa Roach album. I've seen the videos and all that suburban teen angst crap makes me laugh
Thu 28/06/01 at 16:19
I have to admit I read it as 'teenager' not 'tweenager'. All the same, there are a lot of teenagers listening to Limp Bizkit etc. I wouldn't necessarily expect 8 to 12 year olds to listen to older bands, but even in the teenager bracket, there doesn't seem to be much interest. When I referred to older music, I meant bands that had an influence on the current generation of bands. Even just going back 10 years to bands like Faith No More. A lot of the mainstream metal today isn't going to stand the test of time. And that's not me being an 'old git' and saying everything was better in the past. There's plenty of good metal today. But if it doesn't fit in with the current nu metal credentials, it quite often gets little exposure.
Thu 28/06/01 at 16:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Agree 100%

Limp Bizkit play Wembley, Clutch play Underworld in Camden.

No justice.

And check out "Careful with that Mic wheezy" from Clutch's new one for an amusing attack on Fred Durst.
Thu 28/06/01 at 17:16
Goatboy wrote:
> Agree 100%

Limp Bizkit play Wembley, Clutch play Underworld in
> Camden.

No justice.

And check out "Careful with that Mic
> wheezy" from Clutch's new one for an amusing attack on Fred
> Durst.

I take it undworld is a small venue?
I would die to watch some bands play as small venue, The clostest I got was seeing Radiohead at the Dome in Doncaster (about 4000 max) but I was in a private box and missed all the fun, Damm.
In such large venues as MEN arena or Wembley, it's Ok but nothing could beat being there near the band.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.