GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The end of hardcore gamers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 18:46
Regular
What constitutes a hardcore gamer? Is it someone who buys all the latest, greatest games before they come out in Europe? Probably not- I never have enough money for games these days, but would certainly class myself as one of the elitists.

Instead, I think a hardcore gamer is someone who has an open mind to gaming, and isn't afraid to speak the truth about them (none of that "PSX rules, DC sucks").

However, with games now becoming more and more monotonous and less original (you KNOW it's true! Remember the 8bit day? Almost every game was original!), do you not think that people will become complacent?

To offer an example, Gran Turismo 3 is nothing more than GT2 with better graphics. Yet no one complains. Nor do people complain about the endless list of Fifa games- each a copy of the last, but with "less" bugs.

If this stream of bad games continues, do you think that people may forget what origainlity is? Occassionally we will get a new Zelda game... but appart from such rare occurances, when are the bounds of gaming pushed? And even more worryingly, how long will it take till games are totally film orientated?

Sonic
Tue 26/06/01 at 19:01
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Originals this year:

Conker's Bad Fur Day N64
A new slant on the cutesy platformer genre, a game with attitude.

Skies of Arcadia DC
A new slant on fantasy adventure role play, and totally original gaming environment to boot.

Phantasy Star Online DC
A new slant to online gameplay, new tactics emerging amongst players, and a revamped game engine making it nearly impossible to distinguish between online and offline gameplay.

Black and White PC
New levels of addictiveness and AI in the God Sim genre.

All of the above games contain elements of gaming not seen before. And more triple-A titles are coming out all the time.

So I disagree, the hardcore gaming community are always going to find games to play, both now and in the future, gaming won't grow stale because it only takes a slight tweak of an old genre to change it into something completely different.

Examples could be:

Metal Gear Solid with swearing.
TOCA with drivers actually getting injured instead of just the cars.
New levels of difficulty, with games not having save game features in the future.
Sonic with bloodshed graphics.
WWF games with 'intelligent' wrestlers.
Barbie Race and Ride with nudity.
A combination of Driver/GTA/Unreal Tournament. (Drive to a location at high speed, answer a telephone, then go FPS mode and enter a building and take out the baddies.)

So there's loads more to come.
Tue 26/06/01 at 19:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Originals this year:

Conker's Bad Fur Day N64

A new slant on the cutesy platformer genre, a game with attitude.

Skies of Arcadia DC

A new slant on fantasy adventure role play, and totally original gaming environment to boot.

Phantasy Star Online DC

A new slant to online gameplay, new tactics emerging amongst players, and a revamped game engine making it nearly impossible to distinguish between online and offline gameplay.

Black and White PC

New levels of addictiveness and AI in the God Sim genre.

All of the above games contain elements of gaming not seen before. And more triple-A titles are coming out all the time.

So I disagree, the har
Tue 26/06/01 at 18:46
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
What constitutes a hardcore gamer? Is it someone who buys all the latest, greatest games before they come out in Europe? Probably not- I never have enough money for games these days, but would certainly class myself as one of the elitists.

Instead, I think a hardcore gamer is someone who has an open mind to gaming, and isn't afraid to speak the truth about them (none of that "PSX rules, DC sucks").

However, with games now becoming more and more monotonous and less original (you KNOW it's true! Remember the 8bit day? Almost every game was original!), do you not think that people will become complacent?

To offer an example, Gran Turismo 3 is nothing more than GT2 with better graphics. Yet no one complains. Nor do people complain about the endless list of Fifa games- each a copy of the last, but with "less" bugs.

If this stream of bad games continues, do you think that people may forget what origainlity is? Occassionally we will get a new Zelda game... but appart from such rare occurances, when are the bounds of gaming pushed? And even more worryingly, how long will it take till games are totally film orientated?

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.