GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC gamer or PC zone mags"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/07/04 at 18:22
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
I get both these mags as I cant wait a full month before wanting to slouch on my sofa reading all the latest review etc. Lately I've been wondering if I should cut down to just getting one or the other but I cant choose. Which one is your favourite and why or do you get both like me?
Sat 31/07/04 at 16:59
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Indeed, fair point but I find console magazines aren't very trustworthy, and fairly amateurishly written. The Shellshock Vietnam review in PSW was nothing more than paragraph after paragraph of movie references with hardly a mention given to the apparent brutal game play that's supposed to set it apart from other war games.

PCGamer has a review of Doom3 in the latest issue and is the third review I've seen to give it 9/10 (90% to be precise, 2% less than Far Cry which was in no way overrated) so I'll go out on a limb here and say Doom 3 just actually might be quite good. It certainly doesn't look like the standard graphical update Return to Castle Wolfenstein was.
Sat 31/07/04 at 10:13
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
9/10? What does that even mean anymore for most magazines? I'll probably trust Edge's review of it but I've seen too many games getting 9/10 before they are even released only for them to be worth nothing like that...case in point is Driv3r. Only TWO magazines reviewed it before release, both gave it 9/10, blatant bribery had gone on - when others reviewed it scores ranged from 3-6.
Fri 30/07/04 at 22:40
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I used to subscribe to PC Gamer, so I'd choose that as being the best of the two.

Infact I'm starting to miss it.
I think I might buy myself the odd copy of it.
Thu 29/07/04 at 23:45
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm too impatient to wait in line for Fileplanet, so never really give it a try. I still do download plenty of demo's, mods and movies, they just have to the ones that I'm looking for to warrant waiting in line to download, those other files I'm not too sure about I'll leave until they are on the disc.

And doom 3, according to some more recent reviews, is the game Half Life 2 will have to work hard at beating. So far the general consensus seems to be 'Brilliant' with most rating it in the 9/10 region.
Wed 28/07/04 at 21:05
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Didn't know about Doom 3, but then again I'm not bothered about the game itself really. If you use fileplanet then the download is never, in my experience, corrupted. Anyone else get the feeling Doom 3 has become the game that will only be played until Half Life 2 makes it?
Wed 28/07/04 at 19:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
It should be worth mentioning that the US PCGamer was the first magazine to review Doom 3, which has yet to be reviewed by either Gamespot or IGN. Getting news fast is the only main draw for me to these sites. I hate trawling through web pages looking for specific news, the writing style I find is also inferior to mags like PCGamer, and it's rare I go looking for reviews online.

Of course this is my personal preference, I find it more comfortable reading from a magazine in the living room than I do scrawling through web pages up stairs. I also enjoy getting demos, mods and movies from a disc as it saves me the agony of downloading huge files for hours only to find that when they are finished they are corrupted. Not a frequent problem, but it's happened to me enough times in the past.
Wed 28/07/04 at 16:18
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Sure, a mag is entertainment away from the PC, but I can't see the point in reading old news and playing old demos. Suppose it's what you prefer.
Tue 27/07/04 at 23:47
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I still can't get over how they failed to mention the great AI in Vietcong, yet completely prised the AI in Black Hawk Down saying it only rarely faulted. Rarely! as far as I could tell it didn't even exist.
Tue 27/07/04 at 23:13
Regular
PC Gamer's greatest crime is rating Neverwinter Nights higher than BG II.
Tue 27/07/04 at 23:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I like the new PCGamer design, didn't at first but it's slowly grown on me, I also love the new double sided DVD which is crammed with demos, movies and mods galore, perfect for me since I'm often too lazy to download them.

I have to agree though that the content just isn't quite what it once was. Reviews seem to be a little off, good games getting average marks (Vietcong) and bad games getting quite good scores (True Crime). But, I still find the reviews better than most that can be found online, even if I do find myself disagreeing all too often.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.