GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Total War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Medieval: Total war'.
Tue 27/07/04 at 16:39
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Does anyone have the Medeival/Roman one?

Are they worth buying?
Wed 28/07/04 at 21:25
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Rome it is then
Wed 28/07/04 at 21:25
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Although I might get Medieval since I have 2 months left off Uni and not much else to do.
Thu 29/07/04 at 08:31
Regular
They are indeed excellent games. Medieval is a fair bit tougher though in comparison to Shogun. Depending on how much you are willing to lay out I would grab Shogun and play it through and then grab Medieval with the expansion pack, purely on the basis of the fire arrows you get with the expansion ;)

You can get all 3 for around £20 if you take a gander online and they are probably 3 of the best purchases you will ever make. As an RTS fan myself it doesn't really get any better than Medieval. I know that sounds slightly stupid as I am telling you to get Shogun first; that however is purely from the point of view that you don't jump in right in the thick of it which may put you off a little. Shogun has an excellent learning curve in terms of the map and the position of the enemies/allies however with Medieval unless you pick a really massive empire to control you will find yourself running out of time before you have even started to conquer the map.

It isn't like your bog standard RTS though, it works like the old fashion board game Barbarian. You get so many turns to conquer the map and you will always need to have a son ready to take over the throne or to become a general of one of your many armies just in case the lead general gets killed in battle. If your king dies and you have no one to take his place then it is game over. You also have the number of turns to worry about, especially if you plan on conquering the whole map.

These two features alone put a lot of people off who I have spoken to as you don't have the ability to plan as slowly as you may want to; this in turn forces the game speed to increase as you won't sit back with massive armies waiting for the right time, as soon as you have the menu and resources you will basically go into battle.

An excellent franchise though, truly excellent. Definitely grab all 3 in sequential order though.
Thu 29/07/04 at 10:38
Regular
"eat toast!"
mtw and stw are brilliant. Get them. I want RTW. Mind you, i find it slightly difficult to see what new and fresh ideas will come out of the new one. But i'm sure it'll be brilliant.
Thu 29/07/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Might get them today... can't be bothered going to shops though. Damn smelly buses. Maybe the weekened.
Fri 30/07/04 at 23:41
Regular
spoonbeast wrote:
> Mind you, i find it
> slightly difficult to see what new and fresh ideas will come out of
> the new one.

IT'S ROMANS!!!!

You can't ask for more than that.
Fri 30/07/04 at 23:51
Regular
"A man with a stick"
spoonbeast wrote:
> Mind you, i find it
> slightly difficult to see what new and fresh ideas will come out of
> the new one

Apart from the fact that they've revamped everything from previous Total War games, the 2D Risk type map for example will be in 3D, showing each individual road, hill, canyon, everything that you'll see on the battlefield. You'll be able to set up ambush points for enemy forces or guard towers on specific roads to trap spies.

That's one example, I hope they sort out the diplomacy aspect of the game though, alliances need have more functions other than preventing wars. It'd be good if you could trade in goods or join forces against a common enemy.

Oh, and I learned just this week, a Rome: Total War demo is to be released very soon, you'll get to play as Hannibal, outnumbered by thousands of Roman legionnaires.
Sat 31/07/04 at 01:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Detail looks amazing for Rome

Dunno if my computer will hack it, grap graphics card.
Sat 31/07/04 at 09:24
Regular
"bing bang bong"
cipro wrote:
> That's one example, I hope they sort out the diplomacy aspect of the
> game though, alliances need have more functions other than preventing
> wars. It'd be good if you could trade in goods or join forces against
> a common enemy.
>
> Oh, and I learned just this week, a Rome: Total War demo is to be
> released very soon, you'll get to play as Hannibal, outnumbered by
> thousands of Roman legionnaires.

You can use the diplomacy in the game to establish trade rights, trade map information, barter for an attack on a certain other faction and other such stuff. Also, you may be outnumbered in the demo, but it's still quite easy :O|
Sat 31/07/04 at 12:41
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Miserableman wrote:
> You can use the diplomacy in the game to establish trade rights,
> trade map information, barter for an attack on a certain other
> faction and other such stuff.

Sorted. The only problem I had with the previous Total War gamnes was that you could form alliences, but you couldn't so much with them. Nice to see they'll play a bigger role in Rome.

> Also, you may be outnumbered in the
> demo, but it's still quite easy :O|

Dang, although if I remember correctly, the demo for Medieval Total War was quite hard, it threw you straight into a huge attack which also had you outnumbered.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.