GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Underated - Why? (Phwoar)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'prince of persia'.
Wed 28/07/04 at 10:39
Regular
"Bicycle"
Prince of Persia. Picked up a copy yesterday, brilliant game. But no, it's not popular? Why?!?

I loved the original, and from what I've played (15%) I love this too. Why no big thing about it? It's brilliant.
Wed 28/07/04 at 16:11
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Why UBI Soft's Prince of Persia, BGE and XIII failed to sell;

1) Each only really had one original idea for it's genre - XIII really is just another FPS once you remove the cel shading, with crap controls to boot - Prince Of Persia has it's time thing, but otherwise it's the standard 3d platformer - BGE - dull story, tried to steal Windwaker's look even going so far as to use the widescreen look, ultimately I cannot have been the only one who wondered how this got the scores it did. Plentiful freebies from UBI were almost certainly involved...

2) Christmas. Amongst a barrage of great, promoted, games, they stood no chance - where were the demos before release? Nowhere.

3) Price. A small number bought them at full price, after that many stores quickly reduced them to half that, and sometimes less. I don't know about you but when I see a new game being reduced that fast it screams "crap" to me. Take for example the recent price cutting of Van Helsing, Hitman Contracts etc The knock on effect of this is that UBI reduced the number of people who will even buy such games on release to an even smaller number - who wants to pay full price for Prince Of Persia 2? Not me, I'll be waiting for the price cut two weeks after release. Happened before, it'll happen again.

4) Formats. The best of the bunch, Prince Of Persia, was PS2 exclusive. Pointless. Insanity to restrict the best game to one format, at the same time the Gamecube didn't even get XIII at Christmas, or BGE, when both had little competition on that format. On Xbox no one in their right mind was going to choose XIII over the other Xbox Live games or better FPS games.
Wed 28/07/04 at 13:12
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yep. See, told ya it was underrated...

Is BGE any good? At all? I bought it a while back, haven't touched it.

It's got this wierd logo, says "UbiSoft" on it...

:P

I feel asleep during the Bourne Identity, but guess it had a happy ending where whatshername and the main guy fall in love or what have you.

XIII has decent controls, if you invert the aim etc. and the AI isn't that bad, at least the guards react differently. True, it's very linear, but sometimes that's good, attributes to a strong, involving plot.

And it has a grappling hook. Can't go wrong with grapling hooks. Or Batarangs. Mmmm... Batarangs. Except in Batman games, then they suck. But they would be really cool in a good game. I'd imagine. Mmmmmmmmmmm....
Wed 28/07/04 at 12:43
Regular
XIII really wasn't that good. Nice story if a little Bourne Identity, but the actual game play and controls were a little on the cack side.

The AI was virtually non-existent, if you went through the game for a second time you'd find all the enemies in the exact same positions as your first time through. The levels were linear to the point of stupidity and controls felt clunky and sluggish.

Stylish? yes. Good to play? not really.

Without the storyline I doubt there'd really be much motive to play through the whole game.

Oh and Prince of Persia wasn't popular. It sold better than XIII and Project : BGE, but still really underachieved when you consider the high scores it got from practically every magazine who's opinion actually matters.
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:40
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I agree. It's quite hard.
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:40
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I agree. It's quite hard.
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:28
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yeah... Some bits are just so fustrating...
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:18
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Same with me. I'm in the second level. The one with a library. Gotta get back into it sometime.
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:09
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yeah... Got lost in the plot. Played it, got stuck then played loads of other games.

Something about him not being Steve R. ?
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:08
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I love X111.
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:02
Regular
"Bicycle"
ßulle†† wrote:
> It's a brilliant game - just that the majority of 'gamers' took
> preference to FIFA 04 - Monthly Edition and numerous other crap to
> allow this any real spotlight.
>
> The same reason why the godly XIII will never see a sequel.

Hehehhehehehehhehe...

XIV. :D.

Meh, XIII is too annoying. Don't want to use GameFAQs, but I can't get into the sub...

I'll get back to my whimpering now...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.