GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Command and conquer generals"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Command & Conquer: Generals'.
Sun 01/08/04 at 18:03
Regular
"Smiggers 42"
I have just aqquired the above game but I need the install code as the one on the book dosen't work please help.
Thu 05/08/04 at 11:32
Regular
I found Emporer: Battle for Dune by Westwood Studios today. A brilliant full 3D RTS - EA should've let Westwood carry on instead of dissolving them. Fools.
Thu 05/08/04 at 01:09
Regular
It's a very poorly constructed RTS, incredibly short and the 3 armies are hugely unbalanced.

It is a laugh in multiplayer though.
Wed 04/08/04 at 17:09
Regular
I missed the sequences between stages following a story. Granted it would be hard to do a new story without rehashing the old ones, but to call it a Command & Conquer game and not have anything to do with the original games did spoil it for me a little.

I remember playing for hours just to see the next sequence. The first time I saw Seth get killed by Kane I thought, "Wow!" and when Kane popped up in Red Alert and said, "The Brotherhood is the only way" I thought that Red Alert 2 would continue with that and maybe have Kane return in command of the Soviet empire - as it was set in an alternate reality. But instead they brought in Yuri and turned it into Starcraft. The only downside to Red Alert 2.

Tiberian Sun could've been a lot better if it wasn't so futuristic. The walking units were great, but it should've had updated mammoth tanks...not a four legged one, updated versions of most of the units, but instead had hover vehicles and amphibeous APCs that to me, made it second worse in the series.

As much as I have enjoyed every game in the series so far, I have to say that EA haven't really impressed me with Generals, and that's why it is ranked as the worst C&C game to date by myself.
Wed 04/08/04 at 09:58
Regular
For once I actually agree with Alastair. Generals + Zero hour are much more fun to play the the older ones. The balance of the gameplay just seems right and you can't forget about the updated graphics.
Wed 04/08/04 at 08:30
Regular
To be honest though outside of Red Alert 2 I actually found it to be the most enjoyable in the series. It was a lot shorter than the other ones if you discount Zero Hour but luckily I bought them both as a double pack and played them through back to back which practically doubled the length minus a couple of missions.

Tibetan Sun was probably the least enjoyable in the series if you discount the joke effort that was Renegade but even then I remember playing it through from start to finish with very few breaks. Next to the Resident Evil series the Command and Conquer series remains high up there as the best chain of games I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

The original was one of the first PC games that I ever sat down to play at length and since then I have eagerly anticipated each further release in the series. I was dubious prior to the release of Generals as to whether EA could actually keep up the high standard which Westwood had set with the other games in the series but after a few missions it was clear that the engine was looking and playing even better with just the EA 'bells and chains' style presentation added in for extra measure.

Gutted to see Westwood go but can't wait for someone else (be it EA or someone respectable) to pick up the series and continue it from where it left off.
Tue 03/08/04 at 20:23
Regular
"Damn it !"
C&C Generals, unlike any other game in the series, was made by EA instead of westwood and has lost most originality. They should make a game along the same timeline as RA2 with the freedom & variety of Generals in order to make a really challenging, interesting game.
I am not saying that Generals is not a good game, but EA could do with a couple of lessons in originality from westwood.
Mon 02/08/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Smiggers 42 wrote:
> Gah Dude How stupid are you where in my email does it say I downloaded
> it illegally learn to read first before you criticise people.

Right, if I'd just bought a game and the CD code didn't work, the first thing I'd do would be to return the game or phone the technical support line.
You, however, have sought out strangers on the internet on a forum you've never posted on before in the off chance one of them keeps a stash of C&C CD codes and hope they'll give you one.
If you bought the game legally, where's the sense in that?
Mon 02/08/04 at 10:11
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
The problem is that we regularly get new members to the forum post here that they have somehow not got a CD Key for a variety of reasons, and most of us are cynically minded...

Also if we ourselves genuinelly did not have a valid key we'd be giving the relevant store or technical support line some constructive criticism.

Case in point is the rollercoaster tycoon no cd patch topic.
Mon 02/08/04 at 00:10
Regular
"Smiggers 42"
Gah Dude How stupid are you where in my email does it say I downloaded it illegally learn to read first before you criticise people. This message is fopr Bob the Sherriff. Cheers for the help from the rest of you.
Mon 02/08/04 at 00:02
Regular
The worst in the series, but a good game none the less.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.