GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Impressions: Mario vs. Donkey Kong"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis'.
Tue 03/08/04 at 14:16
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Just got this on import today and have been playing it quite a bit this morning. Booting it up for the first time will present you with a rather poorly made little movie that doesn’t actually match some of the nice visuals (by GBA standards) that are in the game.

The first world (there seem to be a basic six, though there may well be unlockables) is pretty much just letting you get to grips with the new and well-designed techniques Mario can perform. He can now handstand to protect himself from items falling from the heavens, pick up just about anything around him, and throw the traditional hammer in mid-air whilst in a level.

Most levels either require you to find a key and deposit it into its lock, or find a Baby Mario that DK has stolen. After you have got all the Baby Mario’s, and unlocked all doors, a Baby Mario level and boss level beckon, requiring new and very different strategies for completion. Also dotted around areas are presents that Donkey Kong has inadvertently dropped, and collecting these will boost your score.

There doesn’t appear to be a great deal of side games or extras on offer, though there is space for three save spots. One nice feature is the ability to, at any time, go back and replay a level, in order to try and smash a high score. This could well be a big redeeming feature in lifespan terms.

Whilst it’s all very accessible, and all very enjoyable, this platform puzzler seems to be on the short side. The first world only stretches bare minutes past the half an hour mark, and whilst the second one is longer, it still seems on the short side. Unless there is a nice stash of unlockables, or the high score option turns out to be really enjoyable, I can see this falling on the short side.

So far it’s a refreshing change from your average game, though.
Wed 04/08/04 at 14:45
Regular
No, it's not what you think.

What makes you think a game called Mario Vs. Donkey Kong won't sell?

Bloody hell that's a title of a game that would shift systems.
Wed 04/08/04 at 14:42
Regular
"Long time no see!"
So, is this game basically an "updated" version of the very original Donkey Kong game, then?
Wed 04/08/04 at 11:19
Regular
If you can find the old Game Boy version of Donkey Kong, you'll love it!

Granted, the graphics are dated now, but the gameplay was awesome. One of the best Game Boy titles I have ever had the pleasure of playing.
Wed 04/08/04 at 11:06
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
*scratches head*

I've briefly encountered the partly colour "Jumpman" type game where the first level is basically just a row of red platforms. Needless to say, no, I haven't had a great deal of following behind these particular games.

Yet I have to say, the more I play this one the more I love it. Seriously good fun that, unfortunately, probably won't sell very well at all. I'm entering the fifth world now.
Tue 03/08/04 at 23:35
Regular
Ashman, you definately haven't played Donkey Kong on Game Boy have you?

Mario Vs Donkey Kong is clearly based upon it, and from your description the only new part is the inclusion of Baby Mario.

There were even clips between each of the many 'worlds' after defeating DK each time, and a nice introduction to Super Mario Bros at the very end.

I spent hours on that game. No doubt I'll be the same on this one.
Tue 03/08/04 at 21:28
Regular
"Oh no! Starwolf!"
From what i've seen on movies/screenshots, it looks promising, and I think there are unlockable worlds. However, until I actually play it myself, it shall still be judged against the classic, which i still have somewhere..i..think
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:39
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Playing it a bit more, its getting better and better. Also expect Mario Golf: Advance Tour impressions later.
Tue 03/08/04 at 15:30
Regular
I've heard many good things about this title.

The GBA and Gamecube are starting to, after a year of worrying, seem like worthy systems to the Nintendo name.
Tue 03/08/04 at 14:16
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Just got this on import today and have been playing it quite a bit this morning. Booting it up for the first time will present you with a rather poorly made little movie that doesn’t actually match some of the nice visuals (by GBA standards) that are in the game.

The first world (there seem to be a basic six, though there may well be unlockables) is pretty much just letting you get to grips with the new and well-designed techniques Mario can perform. He can now handstand to protect himself from items falling from the heavens, pick up just about anything around him, and throw the traditional hammer in mid-air whilst in a level.

Most levels either require you to find a key and deposit it into its lock, or find a Baby Mario that DK has stolen. After you have got all the Baby Mario’s, and unlocked all doors, a Baby Mario level and boss level beckon, requiring new and very different strategies for completion. Also dotted around areas are presents that Donkey Kong has inadvertently dropped, and collecting these will boost your score.

There doesn’t appear to be a great deal of side games or extras on offer, though there is space for three save spots. One nice feature is the ability to, at any time, go back and replay a level, in order to try and smash a high score. This could well be a big redeeming feature in lifespan terms.

Whilst it’s all very accessible, and all very enjoyable, this platform puzzler seems to be on the short side. The first world only stretches bare minutes past the half an hour mark, and whilst the second one is longer, it still seems on the short side. Unless there is a nice stash of unlockables, or the high score option turns out to be really enjoyable, I can see this falling on the short side.

So far it’s a refreshing change from your average game, though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.