GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Impressions: Mario vs. Donkey Kong"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis'.
Tue 03/08/04 at 14:16
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Just got this on import today and have been playing it quite a bit this morning. Booting it up for the first time will present you with a rather poorly made little movie that doesn’t actually match some of the nice visuals (by GBA standards) that are in the game.

The first world (there seem to be a basic six, though there may well be unlockables) is pretty much just letting you get to grips with the new and well-designed techniques Mario can perform. He can now handstand to protect himself from items falling from the heavens, pick up just about anything around him, and throw the traditional hammer in mid-air whilst in a level.

Most levels either require you to find a key and deposit it into its lock, or find a Baby Mario that DK has stolen. After you have got all the Baby Mario’s, and unlocked all doors, a Baby Mario level and boss level beckon, requiring new and very different strategies for completion. Also dotted around areas are presents that Donkey Kong has inadvertently dropped, and collecting these will boost your score.

There doesn’t appear to be a great deal of side games or extras on offer, though there is space for three save spots. One nice feature is the ability to, at any time, go back and replay a level, in order to try and smash a high score. This could well be a big redeeming feature in lifespan terms.

Whilst it’s all very accessible, and all very enjoyable, this platform puzzler seems to be on the short side. The first world only stretches bare minutes past the half an hour mark, and whilst the second one is longer, it still seems on the short side. Unless there is a nice stash of unlockables, or the high score option turns out to be really enjoyable, I can see this falling on the short side.

So far it’s a refreshing change from your average game, though.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:36
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
We can but hope. Even after just two days of playing it I'd buy a 'Cube version if it came along. I love it.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:31
Regular
Ashman wrote:
> I grant you Wario Ware, I just have this gut feeling that people are
> going to pass it up for a more action based alternative.

I guess we'll see. It'll get itself a cult following at least.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:23
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I grant you Wario Ware, I just have this gut feeling that people are going to pass it up for a more action based alternative.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:21
Regular
Oh yes true Pokemon, Sonic and the Mario Advance series will really sell the console.

But remember how well Wario Ware has done, a game that has been so successful Nintendo currently have 3 sequels to it in the works.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:14
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Dringo wrote:
> What makes you think a game called Mario Vs. Donkey Kong won't sell?
>
> Bloody hell that's a title of a game that would shift systems.

For you, perhaps.

The truth is that generally the younger audience that want to buy an SP are going to check out what games are going to suit them. Are puzzle games in which you strategically navigate your way around levels that appear samey going to attract these people? Probably not. They are more likely to go for one of the adventure Mario games, a Sonic title, or racing game.
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:07
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> What makes you think a game called Mario Vs. Donkey Kong won't sell?
>
> Bloody hell that's a title of a game that would shift systems.

*sniggers*
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:05
Regular
I'm looking forward to it as well.
Wed 04/08/04 at 14:56
Regular
The original I'm on about has ladybirds, keys, switches which create platforms that disappear when time runs out, and excellent boss stages against Donkey Kong.

Again, that's what Mario Vs Donkey Kong looks like - the same game engine updated - sure to be one of my most played GBA games
Wed 04/08/04 at 14:55
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> So, is this game basically an "updated" version of the very
> original Donkey Kong game, then?

Of the original Game Boy Donkey Kong - but not the original Donkey Kong.

Wed 04/08/04 at 14:51
Regular
"Teal'c"
If by the original where you had to jump over the barrels, no.

Basically the level structure is thus.

You have your 2-D side-on view of the level, but basically you've got to find a way to get to baby Mario, like Ash said.

Donkey Kong doesn't really make an appearance until the end of each world where you fight him, which is the only part which is really like the original.

During the levels there are different techniques to use to access places, baddies to avoid, etc. It's like a puzzle game, but without having to think huge amounts to complete levels.

It's good though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.