GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chris Sawyer's Locomotion..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Transport Tycoon'.
Mon 23/08/04 at 10:09
Regular
I'm not sure if anybodies every played Transport Tycoon before? but it would appear Christopher is re-releasing this game, with a vast amount of upgrades.

Basically, on Transport Tycoon, you are in a pre-created world (there is the option to make your own map) and you create transport. You can't design the vehicals (but when you see the shots, you'll see why this doesn't matter), but you create a track layout and basically do stuff to earn money. For example, you could build a passenger train from one town to another, or you could build a vehical road from the coal mine, to the electricty station and earn money that way. It's a really fun, great game that'll have you hooked for hours.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Locomotion is the same, however judging from these screenshots (I've included them below) I'm pretty sure it's just Transport Tycoon updated.

There is no information about the game yet, however there are 5 screen shots. I for one will be getting this game, as you cannot play the original on Windows XP.

By the way, if you've never played this before, another games created by Chris Sawyer is Rollercoaster Tycoon (All 3 games + add-on packs).

Here are some screenshots from Locomotion:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_005.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_004.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_003.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_002.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_001.jpg
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/locomotion_050304_000.jpg

Also, judging by those screenshots the following changes have been made from Transport Tycoon:

- Much more detail on buildings/objects.
- Ability to create bus stops on streets, rather than a large bus station.
- Trams.
- Realistic airports.
- Graphical passengers at stations.
- Companies are ranked.
Sun 12/09/04 at 22:04
Regular
"A man with a stick"
cipro wrote:
> I've found that chemicals (or that could be oil, I can‘t remember
> which) aren't as profitable as other industries, and oil carriages
> only carry 10 units.

Correction, it was Oil I was reffering too, and after just seeing a competitor make over a grand transporting the stuff, it seems my initial statement of it being un-profitable was a little innacurate.

The only reason I mentioned it was because on small routes I barely made over £150 transporting the stuff. Obviously though, if you've played Transport Tycoon you'll know the longer the route, the more money you'll make.
Sun 12/09/04 at 21:38
Regular
I'm going tomorrow before college to buy it for £12. Go me. Might buy another game too, dunno yet, though.
Sun 12/09/04 at 21:36
Regular
"Excommunicated"
You can only transport Goods/Food when towns have grown quite large. You need to place a Cargo bay in the town and see if it accepts goods.
Sun 12/09/04 at 20:20
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've found that chemicals (or that could be oil, I can‘t remember which) aren't as profitable as other industries, and oil carriages only carry 10 units.
Sun 12/09/04 at 19:36
Regular
I use a train to transport steel. I need to know where to get chemicals from, and how to transport the exports from the chemical & steel factory.
Sun 12/09/04 at 19:27
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
The trucks on Boulder Bay don't hold enough goods to make it profitable to transport steel. Just use a train.
Sun 12/09/04 at 19:20
Regular
On Boulder Bay, where do I get chemicals from?

Once I've taken the iron core and coal to the factory, and then the steel to the steel/chemical factory, where do I deliver the goods to? I'm gunna do the goods by road (instead of having one big train network with two or three trains running on it, doing the various jobs) but I dunno where to send the truck. Heh. :c[
Sun 12/09/04 at 18:07
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Azul wrote:
> Also - what's the difference between the bus stop and terminal? I
> take it the terminal allows more passengers?
>
> Taaaa.

Yep, the terminal is basically loads of bus stops in a row. To put it simply. :-)
Sun 12/09/04 at 18:04
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Right right right.

I've had trains and stuff transporting coal, iron ore and the likes. I've got buses and stuff working away nicely.

It's delivery trucks for mail and food etc for offices that I don't get.

Also - what's the difference between the bus stop and terminal? I take it the terminal allows more passengers?

Taaaa.
Sun 12/09/04 at 16:47
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Ashman wrote:
> On the last game I would use like with like. If your competitior nabs
> one of your network, then go to one of THEIR networks that is doing
> well, and place your station in a position that will catch more
> passangers/materials. An example of this would be a coal mine. Say
> your competitior has a station built next to it, move yours there
> too, but so that your station covers more of the mine with its blue
> catchment area. This should boost the amount of materials being
> dropped on your station.
>
> Hope it helps.

I'll have to wait until she expands, so far she only has two rail networks and both from the business she stole from me. I will try this trick with one of the other three competitoirs though, I don't like all this competition, and certainly don't like being on the recieving end of it.

Still, I looked at her details and she's already in debt from taking out a huge loan, all I need for her is to open up a new transport route and it'll be pay back time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.