GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turning off your PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/08/04 at 11:08
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Some people I know never turn the whole PS2 off, they just leave it on Standby but other i've seen just turn the whole console off by the back switch.

I just turn mine off by the back switch but does it matter and what do you do?
Mon 23/08/04 at 11:08
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Some people I know never turn the whole PS2 off, they just leave it on Standby but other i've seen just turn the whole console off by the back switch.

I just turn mine off by the back switch but does it matter and what do you do?
Mon 23/08/04 at 11:17
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
I thought standby took up more power than turning it off at the back. I always turn it off at the back when I finish.
Mon 23/08/04 at 11:26
Regular
"~DPG~"
witch-king wrote:
> I thought standby took up more power than turning it off at the back.
> I always turn it off at the back when I finish.

Thats exactly what you should do or the PS2 will over heat and components will melt. Meaning your console will break.
Mon 23/08/04 at 11:46
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
I always turn it off on standby first and then immediately switch it off at the back. Is that right?
Mon 23/08/04 at 11:49
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
If you're turning it off at the back, then it should be in standby mode first. So Forest Fan, you're OK.

edit - but it won't overheat by leaving it in standby. My 3 or 4 year old PS2 has always been left in standby and has seemingly lasted longer than those of most people on this forum...
Mon 23/08/04 at 11:57
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
I'm getting a silver PS2 on Thursday, I just hope they dont go out of stock!

The PS2 I have now is the oldest model and it's really noisy, I turn it off by the mains because i'm sure if I put it on Standby it's explode.
Mon 23/08/04 at 12:04
Regular
I have always left mine on Standby - and it still hasn't broke.
Mon 23/08/04 at 19:21
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Sony advise that the best way to do it is to put it onto standby first, then leave it off having done that via turning it off at the back.

That's what I do.

However, I can't see why you can't leave it on standby, because apart from the little red light, it can only power up the consoles battery, which is a good thing.

Although, personally I want to maximise it's life, so I play it safe.
Mon 23/08/04 at 21:09
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I always switch it off by the back. Next day, nothing wrong with it.

Do what you wanna do.
Mon 23/08/04 at 21:12
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Didn't even know it had a standby mode but I always switch mine off at the back when I'm through playing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.