GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Turning off your PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/08/04 at 11:08
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Some people I know never turn the whole PS2 off, they just leave it on Standby but other i've seen just turn the whole console off by the back switch.

I just turn mine off by the back switch but does it matter and what do you do?
Mon 30/08/04 at 21:28
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> How very crap.
> I hate waiting for stuff - even when you can't skip the
> company-credits at the start of a game I get annoyed, or if they go
> too slow.

Xbox games aren't like that, just repeatedly tap the A button and you'll be playing the gamre in no time!

Oh and to your other post, I agree, must have been a stupid person who made it. Everytime I go to reach for the back switch I ALWAYS hit my head on the corner on the god damn TV!

I've even got a hole in my head because of the hundreds of times it's happened god damn it!

LOOK!

HOLE. IN. HEAD!!!!!!!!
Mon 30/08/04 at 20:35
"period drama"
How very crap.
I hate waiting for stuff - even when you can't skip the company-credits at the start of a game I get annoyed, or if they go too slow.
Mon 30/08/04 at 20:17
Regular
You can't even reset with the Xbox.
Mon 30/08/04 at 20:16
"period drama"
I always just flick the switch at the back.
Had it about 4 years now, never a problem.

However, whoever designed the console like that in the first place was an idiot. There should be 1 switch for on and off, none of this standby shiz - and it should be on the front.

And the reset switch should take you back to the game's main menu - like the GC one does, like a soft reset in some games - instead start the whole console up again.
Mon 30/08/04 at 15:22
Regular
"Jackpot!"
I always turn mine off at the back and I have had my ps2 since december 2000 and it still works fine. My friend leaves his on stand by all the time and his disk try closes when it wants to, so you have to hold it to put the game in.
Sun 29/08/04 at 12:16
"High polygon count"
I always turn mine off at the back overnight, or when I know it's not going to be used for several hours.

Standby is a lovely function, but most people don't realise that electronic equipment in Standby mode consumes almost as much electricity as when it's fully on and functioning - particularly large TV sets.

When your PS2 is on Standby, it's still drinking hte juice, and the power supply is still generating heat. On hot and humid days like we've had over recent weeks, it's certainly better to switch off at the back. Even if only to remove a (relatively minor) heat source from the room!
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:16
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
nba legend wrote:
> Call me stupid but what does 'Ditto' mean?

Same/duplicate.
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:14
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
You're just a pesky electricity wasting kid.

Rargh!
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:14
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Call me stupid but what does 'Ditto' mean?
Sun 29/08/04 at 00:12
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Lou Role wrote:
> Forest Fan wrote:
> I always turn it off on standby first and then immediately switch it
> off at the back. Is that right?
>
> That's exactly what I do.

Ditto.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.