GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hard Drive Speed - 5400RPM or 7200RPM?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/06/01 at 21:42
Regular
Hi there,

I have a 6GB HDD thats been overflowing for some time now so its time to splash out on that hard earned cash and get a new HDD. I've got my eye on SR's 40GB HDDs for £99. The only thing is that they are 5400RPM. Is this easily fast enough for games, mp3s and programs? Would a faster HDD improve game speed? I've thought about the more expensive 7200RPM HDDs but I hear these, although faster, create more noise and heat up a lot quicker thus reducing life time of the HDD.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tue 19/06/01 at 21:56
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ok =)

The only advantage of a higher RPM is faster seek time - if you have fragmented files, or lots of small ones to copy, then you will notice a difference. As most files on your PC do fragment during use, it would be a useful upgrade if you could afford it, and you should notice a difference - having said that, I've used both (only a 5400 in here) without noticing a huge difference, but it would probably be more evident with prolonged use.

I've seen 7200rpm 40gb drives for £110 or so, have a look around (sorry SR, I get hardware from elsewhere, I wont advertise anywhere here..)
Tue 19/06/01 at 21:49
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I'll reply properly when I finish this ice-cream and have 2 hands to type..
Tue 19/06/01 at 21:42
Hi there,

I have a 6GB HDD thats been overflowing for some time now so its time to splash out on that hard earned cash and get a new HDD. I've got my eye on SR's 40GB HDDs for £99. The only thing is that they are 5400RPM. Is this easily fast enough for games, mp3s and programs? Would a faster HDD improve game speed? I've thought about the more expensive 7200RPM HDDs but I hear these, although faster, create more noise and heat up a lot quicker thus reducing life time of the HDD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.