GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gameboy Advance - is it just gaming or what?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/06/01 at 12:25
Regular
This hype around the "new kid on the block" - why? It basically seems like its an updated version of the Sega GameGear. Its hardly a major step in mobile gaming is it? I mean, there was this hype around the Sega Dreamcast's launch, promising up to a million players on the Internet. Whatever happened to that. It was basically a load of crap. It was unreliable and slow. Then when I first heard about this 'fantastic' new Gameboy, I wondered if it would have the capability of connecting to the internet via mobile phones (everyone has them now) and then being able to play some of the major titles on dedicated servers, allowing fast reliable and fun multiplay. But no. All I hear is that it has a fancy screen and that you can play existing Gameboy titles on it. What a waste of potential. I just felt that it would now be possible to be able to successfully implement this new generation of multiplayer gaming. Nintento seems to have wasted an opportunity here, and I don't think I'm going to waste my hard-earned money on something which is not refreshingly new or radical. Well, it seems like Nintendo's downfall and ultimately demise continues. RIP.
Tue 19/06/01 at 12:25
This hype around the "new kid on the block" - why? It basically seems like its an updated version of the Sega GameGear. Its hardly a major step in mobile gaming is it? I mean, there was this hype around the Sega Dreamcast's launch, promising up to a million players on the Internet. Whatever happened to that. It was basically a load of crap. It was unreliable and slow. Then when I first heard about this 'fantastic' new Gameboy, I wondered if it would have the capability of connecting to the internet via mobile phones (everyone has them now) and then being able to play some of the major titles on dedicated servers, allowing fast reliable and fun multiplay. But no. All I hear is that it has a fancy screen and that you can play existing Gameboy titles on it. What a waste of potential. I just felt that it would now be possible to be able to successfully implement this new generation of multiplayer gaming. Nintento seems to have wasted an opportunity here, and I don't think I'm going to waste my hard-earned money on something which is not refreshingly new or radical. Well, it seems like Nintendo's downfall and ultimately demise continues. RIP.
Tue 19/06/01 at 13:05
What the hell do you mean???

It's the ultimate portable gaming experence. i mean imagane carring your super nintendo aroud with you, infact it's better than a super nintendo. It has the power of the ps1 but it just can't create 3d images. It more like rip Sony.
Tue 19/06/01 at 14:17
Regular
"Back For Good"
I hear there's res evil,super mario all stars and some other top games but even so this is hardly revolutionary.

It only has a d-pad and isn't as good as i though it would be although it's big step up from the 8 bit game boy colour but it's only a matter of time before they flood it with pokemon.

I think I'll pass unless some really decent titles come out and the price comes way way down.
Tue 19/06/01 at 14:20
Regular
cant really diss it though. In the USA it has become the fastest selling console beating the PS2 launch. The GBA has sold 500,000 units in its first week. it has already sold out in america. nintendo have predicted 23 million sales of the GBA by march 2002. Demise of nintendo? i dont think so.
Tue 19/06/01 at 14:23
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I bet it will be great to take on holiday.
Wed 20/06/01 at 07:41
Regular
The GBA only has a D-pad because:

The Neo Geo had a control stick, people put their Neo Geo in their pockets, the stick snapped.

Anyway, Why would you want internet play when you can play for FREE with up to 3 other people?

The GBA is going to be used to download parts of Gamecube Games to play on GBA (according to the official Gameboy.com)

It will also be used as an extra controller for the GameCube where you can see things in games that your opponent can't in multiplayer.

Anyway, I buy games and consoles to have some fun playing games, not to access the internet or to use a mobile phone!
Regular
The GBA only has a D-pad because:

The Neo Geo had a control stick, people put their Neo Geo in their pockets, the stick snapped.

Anyway, Why would you want internet play when you can play for FREE with up to 3 other people?

The GBA is going to be used to download parts of Gamecube Games to play on GBA (according to the official Gameboy.com)

It will also be used as an extra controller for the GameCube where you can see things in games that your opponent can't in multiplayer.

Anyway, I buy games and consoles to have some fun playing games, not to access the internet or to use a mobile phone!
Regular
Doh! Double post....
Wed 20/06/01 at 12:53
Regular
i just saw F-zero x in motion today for the first time. I have to say the graphics surprised me. It does look quite stunning and it runs at quite a fast speed. If u have doubts about buying a GBA just check out the graphics.
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I saw Tony Hawks 2 and that was stunnng, the GBA is like a little portable PS1. There are some great games coming out for it. The only down fall I can see is that the games are £30-£33 which is the same price as a DC game or for a few quid more a PS2 game. If would like the games to be around £20. The GBA will be as big or even bigger than the Game Boy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.