GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Surround Sound Question."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/08/04 at 14:42
Regular
Xbox only has an optical out, so I need to buy a surround sound kit with built in Dolby decoder, correct?

[URL]http://www.netelectrics.biz/product.asp?ProdID=3641[/URL] something like this?
Wed 01/09/04 at 13:47
Regular
one other thing...

do i need Built in Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital AC3 and DTS decoders or just Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder for use with games and dvds on xbox?

thanks
Wed 01/09/04 at 13:59
Regular
I think you just need 5.1, as that's all the Xbox puts out. But I could be wrong...
Wed 01/09/04 at 14:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
If it only puts out 5:1, then you should only use a 5:1 decoder. It's all about channel assignment, y'see - can't have more channels than are already there. Gyaaaar.
Wed 01/09/04 at 14:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Your Honour wrote:
> Cheers for the info Adrian.
>
> I think I'm going to get them as I can't afford to spend 200+ on a
> decent set. I think this will be good enough for me.

Yeah I think they will do fine especially for the money. They are plenty loud enough for a bedroom/living room, as I have said only had them on about half way and that was when I was in the house alone. Sound quality is great, enough bass to annoy people with. More expensive sets usually just increase the volume level and maybe a few other things you cant even notice. The only thing I wish it did is decode DTS as DVDs sometimes come with DTS.
Wed 01/09/04 at 14:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
stu147 wrote:
> one other thing...
>
> do i need Built in Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital AC3 and DTS
> decoders or just Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder for use with games and
> dvds on xbox?

Well most decoders do Pro Logic and 5.1 with some doing DTS. DVDs usually have 5.1 with some having 5.1 and DTS. For the XBox I think its only 5.1 that is used, but you would be able to have sound in Pro Logic.

Never heard of Dolby Digital AC3, AC3 is a sound format on a PC and is used in Xvids/DivX to give 5.1.
Wed 01/09/04 at 15:23
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Your Honour wrote:
> Xbox only has an optical out, so I need to buy a surround sound kit
> with built in Dolby decoder, correct?

When you get the system, set it up and plug it in, make sure you aren't a div like me and spend 20 minutes cursing and pressing every button on every remote control within reach, because there is no sound coming from the speakers.

You have to turn the 5.1 (and DTS) output from the Xbox to ON.

I worked it out all by myself.
Fri 10/09/04 at 22:38
Regular
hey all,

after seeing this original post, and 1 week of deciding, I went and purchased the DS533 sound system. Arrived today. Looked well decent. Set up within 30 mins. And then..... hmmmmmm. I've got a rather loud constant humming sound, even when in stand by mode. Anyone else with this system experiencing this problem or not experiencing this problem? If so any suggestions on a solution?

your help is much appreciated
Sun 12/09/04 at 20:37
Regular
I don't know mate, I have bought the system yet. Is it a constant humming? How loud is it?
Mon 13/09/04 at 09:35
Regular
"All about the Beats"
There maybe a loose connection somewhere.

Sounds like electric humming.
Mon 13/09/04 at 10:33
Regular
yeah its constant and pretty loud. noticable during a film. it's even on when the speakers are on standby. moved the sub to a different room and tried it with just one speaker but its still there. might be a knackered sub. emailed acoustic solutions and the shop and waiting to hear back from them

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.