GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Nintendo trying to change their image?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/06/01 at 19:43
Regular
As we all know, most ignorant gamers think of Nintendo as a 'kiddies' company who make games only for very young children. There have been adverts for Pokémon featuring 8/9 year olds and their huge range of 'cute' games and characters doesn't help.

the more intelligent gamer will realise that Nintendo make games for all ages. They may look cute and cartoony, however they are challenging and may be quite hard for young children to play.

So are Nintendo trying to change this image?

I think they are!

GameCube games like Super Smash Bros Melée and Zelda have a more adult look to them. Although Super Smash Bros Melée is still brightly coloured and has all the mario gang in it, the fighting is more intense and probably more competetive. The battle between Gannon and Link shown at E3 and Spaceworld is certainly more 'grown up' than the previous games. Both characters look more realistic and less cute, and the background is so detailed that it really brings you closer into their battle.

The Game Boy Advance is also changing Nintendo's image. So far not a single Pokémon game has been created for the Game Boy Advance. This is a good thing because, although 'Pokémon World' has been announced, gamers aren't going to be put off so easily from buying their Game Boy Advances. Games like Castlevania and Sonic are coming to the Game Boy Advance, as are F-Zero and Tony Hawkes Pro Skater 2. These games are moreso for the older generation of gamers. The advertisements by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance are different to their previous adverts too! One is based in a shooting range, and somehow they used that to advertise Super Mario Advance!
The two Game Boy Advance console adverts have main characters who are all older teens/young adults. One of them shows a young man playing F-Zero Maximum Velocity whilst holding up a queue at an Airport. And the other shows a young man relieving himself in public toilets whilst playing Super Mario Advance and not taking his hands off the console.

This is certainly different to Nintendo's younger image and I hope Nintendo keep on trying to change their image!
Tue 19/06/01 at 07:56
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
In the past Nintendo bought out consoles (NES SNES) and it had a couple of games for the older generation. And games like Mario, Luigi, Zelda etc. were immediatley recognizeds as kids games. This is basically what made getting a console for kids.

Then the N64 came out again not many older games but there were the handful like Killer Instinct gold (15) etc. But still all were mainly kids games.

But in the past year, they have made more games that are for 15+ like CBFD etc.

But games that don't have something like a 15 rating that can be played by all are being made to LOOK and PLAY more brown-up in an attempt to persuade more grown-ups to the console, like Ayden Chronicles, it looks grown-up, not as colourful and when I look at it I think yeah that game looks good enough. But when a 7-9 year old looks at it he'd think BORIN.

So yes Nintendo are trying to pull in the older generation as well as keeping the younger bunch.

As well as with the GAMECUBE. It has been advertised as the ultimate console for all generations. They have showed off games such as Pokemon (any age), Luigi's Mansion (9+), pikmin, wave race (any), for the younger bunch and for the older geeration they have showed off, Metroid Prime, Zelda (now with more of a dull and dismal older effect), etc. (name any more if you want).

So now nintendo are trying to keep the younger generation that they already have taken hold of and trying to capture more of the grown ups in the grasp.

ZP
Tue 19/06/01 at 00:03
The fact is, that Nintendo, through the NES, SNES, and N64 days developed games for children. People from 9 to 17 were their target market and because of it they suffered. Also because of their pig-headedness and spotlight selfishness 3rd parties didn't want to know, especially i the 96-2000 N64 era!

Thank God things have changed, and for the better too! I don't really prefer any company... wierd I know but hey... Sega are great, Nintendo are the masters of Innovation, Sony/Playstation are the Gateway to a world of games, Microsoft are pretty much the same as Sony, and anyone who counts them out is just plain stupid!

But as for Nintendo's Image, I don't think they're trying to change it, but rather expand it... We can see with the likes of Luigi's Mansion and PIKMIN that the 'Kiddie' side of Nintendo is still in force through Shigeru Miyamoto, although with Starfox and Rogue Leader, Metroid and Eternal Darkness, Nintendo are encouraging 3rd parties to take that step into 'Bog-Boy' land to reach their target market.
Mon 18/06/01 at 22:57
"I love yo... lamp."
I do not buy nike trainers. You look at how much you spent on yours, I did not spend quite so much on my nikes but they wore out in a few months. And they went all funny at the toes. I only buy Reeboks now. I would maybe buy Adidas or any other make. But I would not normally pay that much for a pair of trainers. I would rather get a cheaper pair, perhaps 40 pound and get a couple of new games for my N64 or the PC etc. However if you have the money for it I do not see why not.
Biggles
Mon 18/06/01 at 20:34
Regular
Oh and i've still got more than enough money to be able to afford a gamecube,PS2 and even a bloody x-box.
Mon 18/06/01 at 20:33
Regular
totally mad and thick? well what do u spend your money on? if you got the money you might as well spend it. I mkae my trainers last. my current Nike air max triax have lasted me 3 years and still look good. Why do i need two pairs of trainers? why do u need more than one game on your console? u need variety in life and i like to seek that in most aspects.
Mon 18/06/01 at 19:57
Regular
anyway why do you need to pairs of trainers?
Mon 18/06/01 at 19:57
Regular
lol you can buy a GameCube for that!

you must be totally mad and thick to pay £150 for something you wear on your feet!

I would rather wear some cheap trainers than waste my money on a brand name!
Mon 18/06/01 at 19:49
Regular
you'd rather wear £20 cheap trainers than Nike?! i dont buy anything else apart from Nike. i got two pairs of Air MAX at the moment. Together they cost me £150.
Mon 18/06/01 at 19:01
Regular
Nintendo have made most of their games on their consoles....

Anyway what I was trying to say is, it's great that Nintendo's games appeal to all ages, however the older gamers who started with a Playstation, don't know what quality gaming is. Nintendo are trying to get those gamers to try the GameCube and Game Boy Advance so that they can decide for themselves. Most people are brainwashed to think Playstation 2 is the best. Now in some people's point of view it might be. However a lot of people say it because it's considered a "cool" console.

The same thing happened with Nike trainers a few years ago. If you weren't wearing Nike trainers you were wearing crap on your feet! Nike trainers can cost over £100 (They were in the Nike shop in Cardiff) and I'd rather wear £20 ones from a cheaper place!
Sun 17/06/01 at 23:48
Regular
Well Nintendos main games on the 64 were Zelda, mario, Lylatwars. I cant really think of others that were made by nintendo themselves. Mario tennis was made by camelot and smash brothers by HAL.

The main games that people seem to think are cute and childish are the rare platformers. your Banjo and DK games. It would be foolish to try and lose this image becasue its what nintendo is all about.

All they have to do is expand thier audience with more adult games while keeping the banjo's and DK's. Games like Eternal darkness, Resi zero and PD Zero seem to be giving me that effect.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.