GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation 2 - Screen Problem"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/06/01 at 21:17
Regular
Help!

I've just got a PS 2, and it looks like the screen is incorrect!

Whenever I turn it on, it looks fine, but as soon as I play a game, the picture in the top-right corner looks like it's been pulled away a bit, for want of a better expression. So instead of a crisp, 4-sided square, I have three straight sides, and one with a distinct bow in it. The bow seems to fether out s the look down the screen, and the bottom-right corner is fine.

I have tried setting the PS 2 to every screen option available and I still get the same problem. I've tried it on two TV's, and both show the same thing.

Any ideas?
Tue 26/06/01 at 15:54
jd99 wrote:
> I have a slightly different problem. Whenever I try to run a PS2
> game in 60Hz mode the display is in black and white. Any
> suggestions or do I need a new TV?

It could be that normal TV's run at around 40-50hz, i had the same problem for a couple of weeks until i got a 100hz tv. Definately not a chep solution but i fear it is the only one. If you've got some cash my Panasonic TX32-PK20 is absolutely blinding for games on ps2 it has a flat screen too, but it will set you back about £1000-£1300.
Tue 26/06/01 at 15:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
You need a 60hz compatiable TV. Thats why they always give you the option on games that support 60 whether you want 60 or 50. As some people dont have a TV that will work with 60, some TVs dont even display 60 but yours seems to display but have no colour. The only solution is use another TV, buy another TV or use 50Hz.
Tue 26/06/01 at 15:49
Hi steveiboy, the PS" is not a multi region player, it will only play region 2 DVD's, you will need to get the adapter that goes in the memory card slot2, about 20 quid from sr!
Tue 26/06/01 at 12:22
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I have a slightly different problem. Whenever I try to run a PS2 game in 60Hz mode the display is in black and white. Any suggestions or do I need a new TV?
Sun 24/06/01 at 15:18
Regular
just take it back
Sun 24/06/01 at 14:25
Mate if i was you id take it back to the place i bought it from. It may only be a minor glitch at the moment but it could get worse.
However the fact that only 1/4 of the screen is affected tends to suggest that there is something wrong with the conection between your ps2 and tv.
You may as well take it back or get it looked at the worst they can do is turn you away.
Mon 18/06/01 at 17:18
I don't think it's a problem with the PS 2, to be honest, as it plays all my other DVD's fine, it's just this one "mutli-region" DVD that's causing me problems.

Maybe this adapter that enables the PS 2 to play these DVD's will solve the problem I'm having.

I'm not going to take it back because this is a minor glitch, and one that's probably caused by me trying to do something I shouldn't be!

But thanks for the advice!
Mon 18/06/01 at 15:55
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Any chance of plugging a different PS2 in to test if it's the console?? It sounds to me like the console is producing too many horizontal lines, and so they get compressed at the top of the screen (This happens on monitors). If you cannot adjust your screen (what tv have you got??), then I'd take your PS2 back.
Mon 18/06/01 at 12:17
I've tried both SCART and composite, even the original lead from my PSOne, and they all did the same. Interestingly, I turned it on yesterday - and the problem was gone. Very odd.

However -I have a region 0 DVD that plays on a brand new TV in black and white, but on my TV it plays in Black and white, but also jumps all over the screen!

This DVD plays fine on the new TV on a dedicated DVD player, so it's not the TV, it must be the PS 2. Any ideas?
Mon 18/06/01 at 11:01
Are you using the composite cables or a SCART cable? It shouldn't make a difference, but if you haven't tried a SCART and have one kicking about, try it out. Other than that, try the various display settings as Resi Fan mentioned.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.