GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CPU/motherboard problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/09/04 at 10:07
Regular
Right, I ended up buying an ASUS K8VSE motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3200 cpu.

Installed everything perfectly to the book and turned on the power.

Over the speakers came the sound "System Failed CPU test"

The monitor didn't even come out of standby mode.

Any ideas on what to do?

Cheers.
Mon 13/09/04 at 00:12
Regular
"Fake Plastic Tree"
desperate times call for desperate measures :-)
Sun 12/09/04 at 20:25
Regular
I needed an immediate fix so had to go to PC world at the time.

Normally I'd buy from an online store as they're normally much cheaper.
Sun 12/09/04 at 17:53
Regular
"Fake Plastic Tree"
Power is a big thing. Latest generation of processors and graphics cards draw ALOT more. Infact all the recent nvidia/ati cards have direct connections for Molex on them.

I believe a 450 watt PSU is now considered more or less standard. Did see a good one about somewhere though. think wwww.kustompcs.co.uk or similar.

Avoid PC world like the plague.
Tue 07/09/04 at 21:11
Regular
If my power unit couldn't handle it, I'd be straight back to PC world and their 'experts' (laughable ain't it) would experience the full fury of Psycho Edgy.
Mon 06/09/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
cookie monster wrote:
> Hmm, you should check the rails with a multimeter pronto to see if its
> up to scratch.

Yeah they are up to the job. Helping build a friends PC when his Antec Truepower 430w went bang. Popped over to PC World and got a Jeantec 500w PSU and the rails were better than the Antec. Ok the wattage is different, but the price was less at only £40 while the Antec was over £50.

Another friend has one to replace a crappy 500w PSU and his PC runs fine now as the previous PSU didnt like his 5900 graphics card. He also has about 4 hard disks and 2 CD/DVD drives.
Mon 06/09/04 at 23:19
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hmm, you should check the rails with a multimeter pronto to see if its up to scratch.
Mon 06/09/04 at 23:17
Regular
I should've ordered something off of ebay, but instead went to PC world for a quick fix - got myself a 450w 'Jeantech' (who?) power supply with 'low noise' fan. Makes my computer shine all blue inside with LEDs too.
Mon 06/09/04 at 21:14
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Edgy wrote:
> Until yesterday, I didn't even know it made a difference.

It does indeed, what did you end up using?
Mon 06/09/04 at 20:42
Regular
Until yesterday, I didn't even know it made a difference.
Mon 06/09/04 at 10:24
Regular
"Touched!"
Glad you got it sorted, people overlook PSU's quite a lot these days, if you've got a demanding CPU/Board/GPU make sure you have a decent PSU.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.