GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/01 at 19:25
Regular
I have a worrying suspicion that the XBox will go the same way as the DC. Why is this?

Well, many people on here have said that they won't be buying one. If you scale that up to cover the entire console buying population, you get quite a few people who won't be buying Microsoft's box of tricks.

So what if they haven't released a console before? As has been mentioned many times before, the same was said of Sony before they launched the PSX and we all know how well that sold. MS have got all the ingredients of a great console in the making.

Firstly, the hardware, as this seems to be what most people quote when they talk about consoles. I'm not going to bore you with figures of polygons per second etc. What i will point out is that MS are using tried and trusted companies to make the components. The nVidia graphics chip should have no problems working with the processor, which was originally going to be an AMD chip but has now been changed to Intel. Along with it's RAM, which is the most a console has ever had the XBox hardware is spectacular.

As the hardware is so similar to a PC, developers should have no worries getting to grips with it. The "warming up" period, the time the developer have to spend getting the most out of the hardware, should be minimal. The likeness with a PC should mean that ports are going to be easy, and with the quality of PC games at the moment, B&W , Operation Flashpoint, Deus Ex etc, that can only be a good thing.

The XBox looks like it may have a strong launch as well. With Halo, Project Gotham (essentially M: SR with an extra city, tarted up graphics and AI and also destructible cars!) and another Abe's Odyssey game supposedly available at launch, along with a number of games that Sega have in development as well, the XBox will have a good line up.

But i still feel that the XBox will not do as well as it deserves, as did the DC. By the time it is released the PS2 will have established a large user base, and the 'Cube will have been out for a little while as well. I feel that a lack of established games like a Mario or a Sonic will also discourage people to buy the console. Although games like Halo and Project Gotham could well be classics, as not many people have heard of them, it may put them off slightly. Sony doesn't really have a mascot character, but they have the MGS and GT series which people recognize.

The DC didn't take off because of people remembered the Saturn and that put them off. Sony had also announced the PS2 and a large number of games were still being released for the PSX. The same sorts of things may put people off an XBox. Some people still relate Microsoft only with Windows and the problems they have experienced with that. The PS2 will probably be at it's peak of games releases and as i've mentioned before, the 'Cube will have only just been out.

I'm hoping people think of Microsoft as the company that made the first force feedback joystick and now the whole range of quality peripherals. The company that released classic games such as the Age Of Empires series.

But only time will tell whether Microsoft and the XBox can become a success.
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
er-no wrote:

No, because I am interested in seeing it
> fail...

Lol
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:41
Regular
"everyone says it"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> That's becuase no one (apart from FM) is interested in it!

No, because I am interested in seeing it fail...
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:38
Regular
"You've upset me"
That's becuase no one (apart from FM) is interested in it!
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:31
Regular
"Back For Good"
why do you think the xbox column is always at the bottom and gets about 2 topics every 4 or 5 days.
Sat 16/06/01 at 12:21
Regular
True, end of the day its all about money. If they can make more money by releasing it other consoles why should they keep it a exclusive.
Sat 16/06/01 at 12:15
Regular
"everyone says it"
turbonutter wrote:
> "losing support", what the bloody hell are you talking
> about?

Companies which devoted three quarters of last years work to the PS2 have failed to make any profit what so ever, in some cases companies which launched a game at the release of the PS2 failed to even make there money back, this is happening for many releases for the PS2. Sony are doing nothing about it, they don't help developers,as they see it that if the companies want to release a game they can.... and its not their fault the game doesn't sell.

You want an example... Capcom or Konami, yeap either of those companies. Two years ago they had there eyes on a large profit when delevoping for the PS2, they saw it as a new gold mine, but now they have become aware of many problems. If we take the case of the Japanese sales figures we can see what they are conernced about.

Millions of PS2's have been sold in Japan, and Sony are dancing around their maple tree with joy, but although the console may be selling well in Japan, the same can't be said for the games. Statistics show that only one in three buyers of a PS2 have brought an official PS2 game, most customers are happy to play there old PS games and enjoy them while watching DVD's.

Companies are losing money, so they are focusing a lot more on other consoles now, many games which were PS2 exclusive titles are moving to the opposition and in some cases abandoning the PS2 all together.

Turbonutter, if you were a company, say 'Turbonut'. Would you continue to develop for a console that was making you no real profit, your game may be good, but when twenty games a week are being released it just doesn't stand out from the crowd. Your company has invested £10,000 into the promotion, only to be swamped by the oppostions $1,000,000 for MGS2 in America. Would you get out while you had the chance? I think so.

Sony are loving it at the moment, things are looking rosier than ever for them, but don't you like the word 'them', for they are not offering any support to the companies and developers around them, which are losing money because of Sony.

Customers are enjoying the games they are buying, thats fine by them as they wait for the same game they have been waiting for, for over two years. (worrying).

Here comes a large prediction. I reckon MGS2 will become a game that will be released on more than one console (shock horror). Konami have no actual agreement for who they release the game and as Konami are preferring to develop new games for the other consoles why shouldn't they make more money by releasing it on others!

Do You See?

er-no
Sat 16/06/01 at 12:03
Regular
The x-box is more of a threat to the sony console than the GC. The x-box is more in the PS2 league.
Sat 16/06/01 at 12:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, the X-box is dead before it's even started. Not a threat to Nintendo or Sony.
Sat 16/06/01 at 12:00
Regular
Psone fail against the N64? the psone came out a year before the 64 and sure yeah it did get more sales than the 64. But the Gc is coming out at the same time as this new microsoft console.
Sat 16/06/01 at 11:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
er-no wrote:
> turbonutter wrote:
> As does the PS2

No, the PS2 has the
> potential, it has too many games, and its losing a lot of support.

I think that one of the main reasons for so many games on the PS2 was that developers had put in so much money that they couldn't get out,,,

Now tht they have broken even they can, and are to an extent

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.