GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thief 3: Deadly Shadows (Minor spoilers)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows'.
Tue 14/09/04 at 07:41
Regular
"8==="
If you like Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, Riddick and/or Morrowind then you owe it to yourself to get this game.

Absolutely STUNNING.

The freedom to do what you want, mixed in with the life of a thief, various ways to approach objectives, with all those favourite bits from Splinter Cell (Hiding in the shadows, great gadgets, nice one-liners). The guard/enemy AI is pretty damn decent, fighting with them is really good fun and they will take you down enough to make it a challenge.

The game gives you a kind of stealth rating for all you Hitman 2 fans out there (How many stealth kills, normal kills, times you were spotted etc). Also there's various difficulty levels where different objectives are added and tougher conditions must be met (The AI gets a boost and you must steal more for example).

It's difficult to explain how brilliantly the stealth in this game is handled, it's SO much more fluid than mucking about in Splinter Cell and so much more satisfying when you take your enemy down. They've got the balance absolutely perfect between stealth and playability.

So far I've stealthily massacred an entire manor, broken into my landlords apartment and stolen my rent back(!), mugged 3 dozen people, taken on the city watch and generally picked a lot of dirty underhand fights with many scoundrels and peace-abiding citizens alike!

Equal to Deus Ex, better than Splinter Cell and Riddick with the styling of Morrowind. Fan-****ing-tastic!

More to follow.
Thu 30/09/04 at 15:28
Regular
"8==="
Thought the original was much worse than the sequel. The sequel contained far fewer cliches and the levels had superior design.
Thu 30/09/04 at 11:07
Regular
"i missed the show!!"
Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed deus ex... it just didn't last
Thu 30/09/04 at 11:03
Regular
The original Deus Ex was fantastic, the sequel was just... crap.
Thu 30/09/04 at 10:59
Regular
"i missed the show!!"
i got really into it for like 2 weeks, then it got repetitive. oh well...
Wed 29/09/04 at 18:04
Regular
"8==="
Deus Ex was class.

Probably depended on how you played it though.
Wed 29/09/04 at 18:03
Regular
"8==="
soul101 wrote:
>
> Gave up that game when i was saving just before fighting whats-her
> name and it crashed... lost like 6 hrs of hard work

Yeah that happened to me. I had 0.5% of the game to go, went back over 3 hours of play to finish it. :)
Wed 29/09/04 at 18:02
Regular
"8==="
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
>
> They maybe clunky in layout depending on how used to it you are, in
> terms of accuracy though the PC nails it.

I don't find the aiming particularly realistic though. It's feels like you run around constantly having your arm out straight when aiming. For some reason it doesn't fee like this with a controller.

I know there's controllers on the PC and I used a n64 controller clone to play quake 2 for a bit, trouble was you could only setup about 2/3rd's of the buttons so it was rendered pretty crap.

Then you have to go into the hassel of actually hooking up the PC to a big tv/buying a ridiculously expensive monitor just to match the TV you'd otherwise be playing on's size.

Then you have people who hack the game letting them see and shoot you through walls (Counter-Strike) or having twice as much health as everyone else and all that crap.
Wed 29/09/04 at 16:07
Regular
"i missed the show!!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I completed both Thief: The Dark Age and Thief: The Metal Age and
> loved Deadly Shadows, not remotely disappointing.
>
> I do feel they could have done more without Xbox development but it
> was by no means disappointing, unlike the guff effort for Deus Ex:
> Invisible War.

I agree. Deus ex was a once off that by the time i got to the statue of liberty i just wanted to finish the damn thing!
Wed 29/09/04 at 14:19
Regular
I completed both Thief: The Dark Age and Thief: The Metal Age and loved Deadly Shadows, not remotely disappointing.

I do feel they could have done more without Xbox development but it was by no means disappointing, unlike the guff effort for Deus Ex: Invisible War.
Wed 29/09/04 at 14:15
Regular
"Braaains"
But if you played Thief 2 or 1, like I did, you'll be hugely disappointed in this game. The levels are small and boxy, because the game was created for the X-Box and PC together. Instead of being created on the PC and then tweaked for the X-Box.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.