GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"psi-ops : Impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/09/04 at 13:46
Regular
I bought this at the same time I got Riddick yet it has sat un-played for the whole time, purely because I have been busy with other stuff. A few days a go I sat down and played it... played it and played it some more.

To cut a long story short I was extremely impressed with what plays, looks and is a 'physically' outstanding game. The game handles very similar between a cross between Everything or Nothing and Manhunt with some refined character movement and a closer camera.

The game basically throws you in at the deep end, your memory is wiped, you powers taken away and then a huge cut scene opens with a battle on open lands where you are taken hostage and thrown into prison.

Your cell is opened by a mysterious woman who gives you a weapon and basically tells you to get the hell out of there. As the story unfolds you regain your memory and powers and everything is not all quite what it seems. The story is engrossing despite the game being a classic 3rd person 'shoot the f'kers' type of game with some extremely clever physics and abilities that make it stand out.

The Havoc physics are top notch and as you may be aware, they play a huge part in the game. The TK power is fantastic, picking up enemies, throwing them into barrels, into moving fans, into other enemies. It sounds really simple and in practice it is; it does however add an amazing amount of depth, ‘replayability’ and fun to what would be an otherwise good but not superb 3rd person shooter.

So far, top stuff!
Wed 22/09/04 at 13:46
Regular
I bought this at the same time I got Riddick yet it has sat un-played for the whole time, purely because I have been busy with other stuff. A few days a go I sat down and played it... played it and played it some more.

To cut a long story short I was extremely impressed with what plays, looks and is a 'physically' outstanding game. The game handles very similar between a cross between Everything or Nothing and Manhunt with some refined character movement and a closer camera.

The game basically throws you in at the deep end, your memory is wiped, you powers taken away and then a huge cut scene opens with a battle on open lands where you are taken hostage and thrown into prison.

Your cell is opened by a mysterious woman who gives you a weapon and basically tells you to get the hell out of there. As the story unfolds you regain your memory and powers and everything is not all quite what it seems. The story is engrossing despite the game being a classic 3rd person 'shoot the f'kers' type of game with some extremely clever physics and abilities that make it stand out.

The Havoc physics are top notch and as you may be aware, they play a huge part in the game. The TK power is fantastic, picking up enemies, throwing them into barrels, into moving fans, into other enemies. It sounds really simple and in practice it is; it does however add an amazing amount of depth, ‘replayability’ and fun to what would be an otherwise good but not superb 3rd person shooter.

So far, top stuff!
Wed 22/09/04 at 13:48
Regular
Sounds like Second Sight.
Wed 22/09/04 at 13:57
Regular
Two totally different games. I can use a hell of a lot of stealth in Second Sight but it is more difficult in psi-ops. They do appear to be similar if you haven't played them but they are completely different games.

For me psi-ops is more polished and more fun to play, purely for the run and gun style play.
Wed 22/09/04 at 16:13
Regular
Yeah, despite similar concepts I've heard the two games aren't anything alike. I've been wanting to get it for a while now but probably won't due to the tidal wave of titles come out in the coming months, as well as (perhaps) Live.
Wed 22/09/04 at 19:59
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> The game handles very
> similar between a cross between Everything or Nothing and Manhunt

It's a cross between two rubbish games?

Interesting.
Wed 22/09/04 at 22:49
Regular
Played some more tonight and it really has shaped into a superb game, great fun to play.

Managed to throw one guy into a barrel full of petrol causing him to set on hire. Using TK I picked up his dead flaming body and through him into another buy causing him to set on hire and fall over a bridge flopping into a water reservoir below.

The physics are outstanding.
Thu 23/09/04 at 10:15
Regular
Psi-ops better than Second Sight???

Please we're British and proud.
Thu 23/09/04 at 10:19
Regular
Just picked up Second Sight.

I'm glad it's different to Psi-Ops - that's what's been stopping me from buying it. I didn't want a game I, in essence, already have.
Fri 24/09/04 at 06:32
Regular
Second Sight is fantastic. Even better than Psi-Ops in my opinion. Managed to get up to the asylum where that woman is couped up - just on the verge of rescuing her.

The controls are very fluid and easy to use, the graphics and camera angles are a little reminiscent of MGS2 with the trademark Timesplitters-style character design (large hands, strong facial expressions etc.), the soundtrack is mint, as is the sound effects.

I can't believe this game is as good as it is. Free Radical have done a grand job on this. I'm looking forward to Timesplitters: Future Perfect even more now!
Fri 24/09/04 at 08:34
Regular
It offers no challenge though, Second Sight is just too easy. A bit more difficult and it would have been a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

psi-ops on the other hand is absolutely bloody nails on the hardest setting as to work around in stealth you have to be a bloody good player. The boss battles in psi-ops require a lot of thought to succeed through them and although it looks like a run and gun game, on the hardest setting it offers so much more.

I am shocked that Midway had this one in them, I buried Midway along with Deadly Alliance. I will definitley be grabbing Deception after this though. Anyone with IGN Insider check out the Deception preview, looks quite excellent so far.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.