GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 - Dawn of a new era"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/04 at 15:48
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Out with the old, in with the new, as the saying goes. Gamers first witnessed this phrase in action at the end of the SNES/Sega 16-Bit console generation, as technology had evolved to produce the 32-Bit consoles, N64 and Playstation most notably. It was a glorious, and sad day for all, leaving behind the 2D platform games, such as the legendary Super Mario seris, and embracing 3D games for the first time, such as Tekken.

Although a time has not been specified, the PS3 will hit the shelves at some point in the near future, leaving us too pass on are PS2's to little brothers, the skip or as a birthday present to a dear friend :)
Although it will be a sad day, leaving behind what was undoubtledly a massive step up from the original Playstation, the PS2 will have to reitre to the bench, perminantly, because quite simply, the PS3 will be a dawn of a new game era altogether, and you wont want to miss out!

Little details have surfaced about the PS3, as it is still in the early stages of development, but what has surfaced ignited a thought in my mind, and those who read it also. The details about the medium to which the games will be on, or in english, the game discs!

The PS3 will be utilising a new technology, called Blu-ray, which will be used to read Blu-ray discs (BD-ROMS, how original), which has a MASSIVE storage capacity of 54GB's of data, 6 times that of a conventional DVD-ROM. Whats more, is even higher capacity discs are in development, 100GB and even an astonishing 200GB discs. Some might argue its the processor and graphics that will make the PS3 spectacular, but i think this tremendous capacity for game data will make it stand out more. Why? Because quite simply with that amount of space on a disc, game designers can take games to a whole new level. Bigger maps, more detailed textures, more music, more video, and maybe even the potential to have a game running in such high quality as MGS2 (think cutscenes in Tekken games).

EDIT: Another feature was revealed recently, which i only just uncovered. The processor. And boy does this little baby sound good! The PS3 will be using a "cell", a new type of chip being developed by IBM, and overpowers anything by AMD and Intel, and is quite litrally, a supercomputer on a chip. A 4GHZ chip, 1024 bit bus and 64MB memory is what the cell is composed of.
In a nut shell, the PS2 chip was 300 times more powerful than the PS1's, and the PS3's chip is in the range of 200-1000 times that of the PS2's chip, which is simply mind blowing. This chip combined with the huge data storing BD-ROMS will surely revolutionize games as we know it. Several games have already been confirmed for the PS3, such as Gran Turismo 5, a 'NHL' seris game and Mortal Kombat 7 :)

This segment of PS3 news is surely going to ignite an anticipation frenzy. Leaving the 128-Bit PS2 for probably a 256-Bit PS3, sweet. It has brought a smile to my face, because i know, like you will, that we are going to enter a grand era for games.

==Blu-ray details from www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/...
...200409/N04.0921.1817.32628.htm
Sat 25/09/04 at 14:19
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Haven't said anything negative about the quality of PS2 games. I'm happy with my console that blesses me with RPG after RPG
Sat 25/09/04 at 14:17
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
I agree with that theory. Except that there are a lot more good games on PS2 than you give credit for.
Sat 25/09/04 at 14:12
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
What FFF was getting at (i think) is it doesn't matter what size the disc is unless the developers actually put a decent game onto it it doesn't make one bit of difference if it's 4.5GB or 100GB it's still a crap game, there'd just be more crap on the 100GB disc.
Sat 25/09/04 at 14:09
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
It clearly states on her profile that she's 127.
Sat 25/09/04 at 13:48
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> See, here's the thing - you use the "omgwtf!1 38293-bit
> consolee!11" argument. This alone proves you have no idea what
> you're on about.
>
> And DVDs with MASSIVE storage don't make one feck's worth of
> difference to anything. Wow, you can fit EVEN MORE crap in one place.
>
>
> It's all so predictable.

Well i have more of an idea than you obviously, since your probably some 12yr old smartass. www.ps3portal.com that has alot of info.

"omfwtf! 239482-bit console argument?? you obviously didnt read what i posted because i wasnt basing my thoughts around that. i mearly stated what console have been in the past and what the PS3 might be, i have no idea what it will be, your guess is as good as mine.

"MASSIVE storage dont make one fecks worth of difference..>" well you obviously have a very small brain. Can you not comprehend what a difference this will make to a game??? It will increase details, not size, allowing games to be more realistic looking, unless the game is about size.

jeez some people
Sat 25/09/04 at 13:43
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Coin wrote:
> Hmm..
>
> 100GB storage space? I think not.
>
> The disc would be the size of my livingroom and cost 5 million
> euros.
>
> Blatantly.

Don't be such an ignorant mofo. Its not rubbish, it is known that the 100GB and 200GB discs are in development, if u look on google its there.
Sat 25/09/04 at 11:58
Regular
"Bicycle"
You too?

Crazy.
Sat 25/09/04 at 10:22
Regular
"\\"
ShortyUK wrote:
> as technology had evolved to produce the 32-Bit
> consoles, N64 and Playstation most notably.

N64?

MUUUUUUUUUUUUH.
Fri 24/09/04 at 21:55
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hmm..

100GB storage space? I think not.

The disc would be the size of my livingroom and cost 5 million euros.

Blatantly.
Fri 24/09/04 at 20:08
"period drama"
See, here's the thing - you use the "omgwtf!1 38293-bit consolee!11" argument. This alone proves you have no idea what you're on about.

And DVDs with MASSIVE storage don't make one feck's worth of difference to anything. Wow, you can fit EVEN MORE crap in one place.

It's all so predictable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.