GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 - Dawn of a new era"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/04 at 15:48
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Out with the old, in with the new, as the saying goes. Gamers first witnessed this phrase in action at the end of the SNES/Sega 16-Bit console generation, as technology had evolved to produce the 32-Bit consoles, N64 and Playstation most notably. It was a glorious, and sad day for all, leaving behind the 2D platform games, such as the legendary Super Mario seris, and embracing 3D games for the first time, such as Tekken.

Although a time has not been specified, the PS3 will hit the shelves at some point in the near future, leaving us too pass on are PS2's to little brothers, the skip or as a birthday present to a dear friend :)
Although it will be a sad day, leaving behind what was undoubtledly a massive step up from the original Playstation, the PS2 will have to reitre to the bench, perminantly, because quite simply, the PS3 will be a dawn of a new game era altogether, and you wont want to miss out!

Little details have surfaced about the PS3, as it is still in the early stages of development, but what has surfaced ignited a thought in my mind, and those who read it also. The details about the medium to which the games will be on, or in english, the game discs!

The PS3 will be utilising a new technology, called Blu-ray, which will be used to read Blu-ray discs (BD-ROMS, how original), which has a MASSIVE storage capacity of 54GB's of data, 6 times that of a conventional DVD-ROM. Whats more, is even higher capacity discs are in development, 100GB and even an astonishing 200GB discs. Some might argue its the processor and graphics that will make the PS3 spectacular, but i think this tremendous capacity for game data will make it stand out more. Why? Because quite simply with that amount of space on a disc, game designers can take games to a whole new level. Bigger maps, more detailed textures, more music, more video, and maybe even the potential to have a game running in such high quality as MGS2 (think cutscenes in Tekken games).

EDIT: Another feature was revealed recently, which i only just uncovered. The processor. And boy does this little baby sound good! The PS3 will be using a "cell", a new type of chip being developed by IBM, and overpowers anything by AMD and Intel, and is quite litrally, a supercomputer on a chip. A 4GHZ chip, 1024 bit bus and 64MB memory is what the cell is composed of.
In a nut shell, the PS2 chip was 300 times more powerful than the PS1's, and the PS3's chip is in the range of 200-1000 times that of the PS2's chip, which is simply mind blowing. This chip combined with the huge data storing BD-ROMS will surely revolutionize games as we know it. Several games have already been confirmed for the PS3, such as Gran Turismo 5, a 'NHL' seris game and Mortal Kombat 7 :)

This segment of PS3 news is surely going to ignite an anticipation frenzy. Leaving the 128-Bit PS2 for probably a 256-Bit PS3, sweet. It has brought a smile to my face, because i know, like you will, that we are going to enter a grand era for games.

==Blu-ray details from www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/...
...200409/N04.0921.1817.32628.htm
Tue 28/09/04 at 20:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
If Mortal Kombat is meant to be a selling point for a console god help Sony right now. MK got old about 10 years ago.

Whichever console has the lion's share of the RPG's will be the one i'll be buying
Tue 28/09/04 at 18:09
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Cmon, its the PS3, game companies will be lining up to produce games for it.

Mortal Kombat and the next Gran Turismo are already comfirmed for the PS3. Expect to see GTA, Tekken, Pro Evo seris's also on the PS3.
Sun 26/09/04 at 19:24
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Good specs aren't what makes the console successful, good games are what makes a console successful. As soon as i see a official launch list of games that will be coming out that's when i'll decide to either buy it or go elsewhere.

Basically whichever console has the Nippon-Ichi Software games on it will be the one i'm buying
Sun 26/09/04 at 17:41
Regular
"Bicycle"
What?

4 x 2 = 8.

Tada.
Sun 26/09/04 at 17:23
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
Ok....

You dont seem to be seeing the good points about the PS3 details. Sure they could make bad games, but you really think that will happen? Good game designers will put in the effort to make good games, you will always have good and bad games.

Coin, an 8yr wait?! Grow up.
Sun 26/09/04 at 16:37
Regular
"Bicycle"
ShortyUK wrote:
> I know there could be alot of game designers who will just go lazy and
> fill the disc up with random crap. But, imagine what an amazing game
> you could have if say "Rockstar", who are making GTA:San
> Andreas, made one, seeing as they've put in 2 years of work into
> GTA:SA.
>
> Im sure we will see the next GTA on the PS3, and they will raise the
> bar once again, seeing as GTA:SA will quite possibly be the best game
> on the PS2 so far.

What, 4 times the size?

Yes! An 8 year wait!

God, I've been waiting for this day since I was born...
Sun 26/09/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Braaains"
Three cheers for lauding a console that's not yet been released.
Sun 26/09/04 at 15:45
Regular
"Slice n Dice baby"
I know there could be alot of game designers who will just go lazy and fill the disc up with random crap. But, imagine what an amazing game you could have if say "Rockstar", who are making GTA:San Andreas, made one, seeing as they've put in 2 years of work into GTA:SA.

Im sure we will see the next GTA on the PS3, and they will raise the bar once again, seeing as GTA:SA will quite possibly be the best game on the PS2 so far.
Sat 25/09/04 at 21:14
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Also, you might think just how bias the info you're getting from the
> official PS3 website may be.

erm... ps3portal isn't what you'd call 'official'.

However I do agree the with more crap on a disc cynical view.

I mean, RPGs are big enough as they are, and I think developers might be tempted just to slap a few extra levels in rather than bother with the tricky bit of finding out how to gourad shade 8 trillion pixels in a revolutionary way and squeeze more out of the cell that way.

More video and more FMV doesn't make a better game either, it just adds more unplayable candyfloss between the playable bits.
Sat 25/09/04 at 20:40
"period drama"
Also, you might think just how bias the info you're getting from the official PS3 website may be.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.