GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Magazine's!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:37
Regular
Every month I get a Dreamcast magazine delivered to my door.
And sometimes I pop down to my local newsagent to get a PS2 magazine.

I read page by page, taking in every bit of information and keeping it in my head. After all the Magazines i've read i'd call my self an expert on games probly?

I often read the reviews of games in mag's and read on what they have to say and how they rate it. Because of these reviews in Mag's my choice of a game has often swayed. E.G. I was going to get the game on the DC called 18 Wheeler Pro Truker. After playing the brill demo i decided this was the game for me. The next month I had the right amount of money to get the game. I skipped to the review of 18 wheeler and there it was. The reason why I changed my decsion, A measly 5 out of 10. I thought that was phathetic and ended up getting a game that I'm happy i did, called Phantasy Star Online, this game got 9/10 and an excellent report.

After this incedent happened to me I thought , "If this magazine can just sway one person's mind and say what games you should buy and what games you shouldn't. Think what would be like if there were no magazines. And that no magazines ever exsisted." This was a scary thoguht, who know's what we could have at the top of the charts. Mortal Combat 1 could be at the top of the PSX chart (that is a horrible thoguht, but it's true).

So if you think about it Magazines have a big impact on the gaming charts, and thanks god for that!

I rember when i was younger, when i first got my PSX. I never bought magazines (well if i did i just looked at the pic's), and I had just seen the film Space Jam. I thoguht to my self, What an ace film, I might just go out and buy the game. I rember going to get it from Toys 'R' Us with my mates.
I finally got home and played on it for the rest of the day. And that was it. I never played on that game again, it was a waste of money, it was rubbish. And, boy, had i learnt a lesson. If i had of read the magazines I would of relised that this game is rubbish and that it had something like 3/10.

I never made this mistake again, and I say now that I probly have the best games on the Dreamcast that are out!

All I can say is...

Thanks God For Console magazines!

:)
Mon 11/06/01 at 09:42
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Legendary Link wrote:
> I've been buying Nintendo official magazine for 4 years and I must
> say It makes my mind up on what I'm gonna buy.
If there were no
> mag's imagion what would happon, Nintendo's Zelda would of been a
> flop because no one took intrest in a boy with a green smurf hat.
> Any other ideas what would or would have happoned?

I must point out that the official Nintendo mag (ONM) is the most poorly writen, biased childish magazine I have ever read. Whereas most mags acknowledge that there are good games on other consoles, ONM come out with such tactful comments as "The Fony Greystation sucks" and "don't buy the Sega Dreampants".

In reality though, Zelda will always sell as a result of the advertising behind it.

Anyway, my choice in mags is the Official DC one and EDGE.

The official DC mag is poorly written by ammeteurs (Sega could have given the contract for it to either Future publishing, or that other big publisher, but instead gave it to a relatively unknown). They are always behind on news (even for a games mag!)... the only reason I buy it is because of the Demos... mind you, someone must like the mag seeing as it sells fairly well!

As for Edge, this is undoubtedly the most unbiased true mag out. Not only do the reviewers not give every game over 80% (like ONM!), but the mag has columns written by the likes of the head of sega's departments, and they always have interviews with top industry names like Naka and Miyamoto (even more with miyamoto than ONM has in fact!)

Sonic
Mon 11/06/01 at 00:14
Regular
Magazines are good an all, but most of the information in them is old news and can found on the internet much earlier. Sites like IGN are really cool and give you info on each indivdual console with a section for each. All the cheats you ever need are on the internet, and you con download video clips of all the latest games to check em out before you buy them.
Sun 10/06/01 at 22:48
Console magazines have quite a dramatic affect on the gaming world. They give people information on new games and gaming news, they gives game reviews on the latest games. And they are good to read. But, they do have they're dis-advantages.

1) The reviews are they're opinions. One of the staff of the magazine will review the game, giving his/her own opinion of the game. Now, they can be considered as gaming experts but it is still they're own opinion. The customer/gamer's opinion may well be different. The review could give a game 45%, but there will be someone out there who loves the game anyway. I normally always read a review before I buy a game, but only for information about the game, then I decide whether it is worthy of being bought.

2) Hype: This has been discussed before, but magazines are the main culprits of hype. The hype could be bad or good.
Let's take the Gameboy Advance for example. There is a lot of hype over this. Now, I am sure this is going to brilliant, but what if it doesn't turn out to be as good as everyone hoped (I am not saying it will, just speculating). Because of all of this hype, people will go out and buy it and then be disappointed (as doubtful as it is, it could happen). Hype can be a bad thing or a good thing.

3) Cheats: Most people will see this as a plus of magazines, giving cheats to help you on games when your stuck. I, however, see this as a dis-advantage. Cheats ruin the game. I would say that a game is made so that you will play through it, without cheating, but then someone would say "well then, why did they include the cheats in the game in the first place". I have used cheats before, but I have given up, because they ruin the game.

4) Bias: Magazines supporting different consoles, are nearly always bias to the other consoles. It may be expacted, but still, it doesn't really need to be done. I doubt many people pay attention to it anyway, so why do it?

5) Headliners: What I mean by this is, magazines are always saying they ahve the first ever review of this, or the first ever pictures of a game, when, really, they aren't, because another magazine had come out before saying exactly the same thing. I know it's just to make people but the magazine, but is still true.

Other than these, magazines are good.
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:29
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I always get a N64 Magazine, CVG!

If I see one and I have some spare change I get a GamesMaster or NOM!
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:26
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Magazines huh? Yes, to me they are a very important part of my gaming life, reading the reviews, news, and letters from other gamers…. I love it!

I think the main reason I love magazines are because some of them offer playable demos. Let me tell you a little about demos.

Well demos to be are a really good thing. It helps me make lots of important decisions. Some times you don’t like the look of a game because it has been given bad reviews etc., but if you get the chance to play it on a demo I think it’s up t you to make your own decision.
Crash Team Racing, Metal Gear Solid, Moto GP are just some of the games I have purchased because I enjoyed the demo so much.

It could be the other way around. Say if you like a game because the graphics look good and it’s been given good reviews and then when you finally get to play it on demo you think its not your game at all. You have basically just saved yourself 30-40 quid.

I think it is a good idea for game companies to agree to give magazines demos of the game, because it would help persuade the customer to buy or not buy the game.

Look at what Knomi are doing, they are giving us a glorious opportunity to play MGS2, and that will sell thousands of copy’s on Z>O>E just for that. Demos aren’t just about playing it though; it gives you a chance to see what sort of games are out on the market.

Another good way to look at this would be money wise. I am not the richest person in the world, so I can not afford to buy everyone new game that comes along. But I can easily spare £5 on a magazine that includes a demo of all the latest games out.

I know you shouldn’t just buy a games magazine for the demos, but I am just so tempted!
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:17
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Sometimes the mags can be a bit biased!
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:11
Regular
Well done Spider 2 on your promotion to being a regular.
yes u r actually one now.
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:09
Regular
I've been buying Nintendo official magazine for 4 years and I must say It makes my mind up on what I'm gonna buy.
If there were no mag's imagion what would happon, Nintendo's Zelda would of been a flop because no one took intrest in a boy with a green smurf hat. Any other ideas what would or would have happoned?
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:09
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I said the FUTURE of gaming you Tw*t spider. I guess you really are not who I thought you were. All you are is a sarcastic stats lovin' monkey lover.

}:>
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Hoo Har"
ThE DeViL wrote:
> Ok Spider enough sarcasm. BUt surely you can not believe that this
> has anything to do with the future of gameing.

Remember no PP.
> Or else!

}:>

Of course it has something to do with gaming you idiot, you obviously didnt read it!!!

:)

P>S. I'm now a regular, have a broke a record, I did it in 3 days!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.