GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Magazine's!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:37
Regular
Every month I get a Dreamcast magazine delivered to my door.
And sometimes I pop down to my local newsagent to get a PS2 magazine.

I read page by page, taking in every bit of information and keeping it in my head. After all the Magazines i've read i'd call my self an expert on games probly?

I often read the reviews of games in mag's and read on what they have to say and how they rate it. Because of these reviews in Mag's my choice of a game has often swayed. E.G. I was going to get the game on the DC called 18 Wheeler Pro Truker. After playing the brill demo i decided this was the game for me. The next month I had the right amount of money to get the game. I skipped to the review of 18 wheeler and there it was. The reason why I changed my decsion, A measly 5 out of 10. I thought that was phathetic and ended up getting a game that I'm happy i did, called Phantasy Star Online, this game got 9/10 and an excellent report.

After this incedent happened to me I thought , "If this magazine can just sway one person's mind and say what games you should buy and what games you shouldn't. Think what would be like if there were no magazines. And that no magazines ever exsisted." This was a scary thoguht, who know's what we could have at the top of the charts. Mortal Combat 1 could be at the top of the PSX chart (that is a horrible thoguht, but it's true).

So if you think about it Magazines have a big impact on the gaming charts, and thanks god for that!

I rember when i was younger, when i first got my PSX. I never bought magazines (well if i did i just looked at the pic's), and I had just seen the film Space Jam. I thoguht to my self, What an ace film, I might just go out and buy the game. I rember going to get it from Toys 'R' Us with my mates.
I finally got home and played on it for the rest of the day. And that was it. I never played on that game again, it was a waste of money, it was rubbish. And, boy, had i learnt a lesson. If i had of read the magazines I would of relised that this game is rubbish and that it had something like 3/10.

I never made this mistake again, and I say now that I probly have the best games on the Dreamcast that are out!

All I can say is...

Thanks God For Console magazines!

:)
Tue 12/06/01 at 13:07
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah like Ign, UKgames (ahem), Gameshark etc.
Tue 12/06/01 at 10:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
zeldapro wrote:
> Magazines rule !

They give charts, ratings, reviews and previews
> to tell you what to look out for, they have them for every format,
> and some with all formats, some even give you vouchers to spend at
> EB and Game, and you get posters to hide the stains!

But games websites do all of the above much faster and reguarly... except giving vouchers for overpriced games stores and posters of course!

Sonic
Tue 12/06/01 at 09:39
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I have never seen you before Slave unit!
Tue 12/06/01 at 09:38
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The best bit about the mags though is that you get the discs on the front to see what the games are about. I get the Official mags for the playable discs, and the others for the reviews. and this has worked for me so far, none of my games sit there, i play them all.
Tue 12/06/01 at 09:29
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Magazines rule !

They give charts, ratings, reviews and previews to tell you what to look out for, they have them for every format, and some with all formats, some even give you vouchers to spend at EB and Game, and you get posters to hide the stains!
Mon 11/06/01 at 20:39
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
New Jimmy wrote:
> Magazines are great for giving you all the latest information on
> games etc...with usually a little bit more.

Actually web-sites give more info, more up to date, with more regular updates

I never buy official
> magazines as theyre very biased towards making that machine a
> success and so they will give every game a good rating.

Many mags (like NOM) have contracts that say that companies like Ninty can veto (ie cancel) any article in the mag that they do not like. Interestingly, Official DC mag is one of the only mags not to have such a contract!

As for
> magazines influencing people as cookie monster said they have
> enormous power. One of the main reasons Labour got into power first
> time round was because Blair went into talks with Rupert Murdoch who
> owns the Sun, The News of the World and Sky Television. The other
> reason was that everyone was sick of the Conservatives.

And don't foget bernie eccolstone! (or however u spell it). Gave labour lots of money. Got his act passed in parliment. Got his money back. Brilliant!

Sonic
Mon 11/06/01 at 20:32
Magazines are great for giving you all the latest information on games etc...with usually a little bit more. I never buy official magazines as theyre very biased towards making that machine a success and so they will give every game a good rating.

As for magazines influencing people as cookie monster said they have enormous power. One of the main reasons Labour got into power first time round was because Blair went into talks with Rupert Murdoch who owns the Sun, The News of the World and Sky Television. The other reason was that everyone was sick of the Conservatives.

On a gaming level the same is true, I learnt my valuable lesson when Streetfighter2 came out on the Amiga and every magazine gave it a good review but it was rubbish.
The same lesson was taught to me when Tekken3 came out on the Playstation, the magazines reviewed import versions from the US or Japan. Of course the game was brilliant!, however the UK version was absolute tosh because it suffered terribly due to the slowdown of conversion (NTSC - PAL). The PAL versions of Tekken2 or SoulBlade were far superior.
Mon 11/06/01 at 20:00
Regular
By the way its NOM not ONM. The reason alot of average games get 80% instead of somthin like 50% which they should is becasue (i hate to say it) The N64 didnt have too many good games so they had to give average games higher than normal percentages. And the thing with them giving south park 90% must be a fix. They must have been bribed or somthin by the publishers of the game.
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:30
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
cookie monster wrote:

I used to buy that
> magazine, but i dont trust them any more, not since they rated south
> park at 90% or something like that and i decided to buy it. The game
> was the biggest bag of bŁ$^&*s i have ever played, so i
> swapped it with a friend for mario 64, a quality game indeed.

I would also like to point out that EVERY game that is not aweful gets a high percentage.

Whereas 50% whould mean a completely average game, instead the average game in ONM gets 80%. Only if a game is totally aweful is it awarded below 10%, with almost no games getting between these extreem scores.

Sonic
Mon 11/06/01 at 10:30
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Legendary Link wrote:
> I've been buying Nintendo official magazine for 4 years and I must
> say It makes my mind up on what I'm gonna buy.
If there were no
> mag's imagion what would happon, Nintendo's Zelda would of been a
> flop because no one took intrest in a boy with a green smurf hat.
> Any other ideas what would or would have happoned?

I used to buy that magazine, but i dont trust them any more, not since they rated south park at 90% or something like that and i decided to buy it. The game was the biggest bag of bŁ$^&*s i have ever played, so i swapped it with a friend for mario 64, a quality game indeed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.