GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ten Years Ago....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:33
Regular
Ten Years ago:

Games were made good because they had the gameplay and lastibility, these two key words charged many games and made them excellent to play and complete in every way shape and form, games like Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were pure class built on the idea of originality and another key word 'fun'. The games of ten years ago had all the ingrediants of the best games ever. Maybe they didn't have the graphics, but that wasn't important in those days as people didn't know what gaming graphics were going to be like nowadays, every game had something new and fresh to offer and brought all the ideas which games use today.

Seven Years ago:

The best time for gaming was seven years ago, the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive were in the ring beating the hell out of each other with classic after classic, hell there were more classics than bad games, and at this point in time I thought gaming really couldn't get any better, all my best memories come from these two platforms, the games contained something which most current ones don't, and that is 'ideas'. The likes of Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Secret of Mana and Sonic made me believe that gaming was going to get so much better, these games had the simplest yet most pleasing graphics of any game, they weren't to realistic and weren't meant to be, these games were 'THE' games that founded most of our addictions to the gaming world.

Three Years ago:

The end of the millennium, wasn't a pleasing sight for me as a gamer. The games of this period began to drop in quality with only a few managing to impress the world, thousands of games were being produced every year and this ruined gaming. MGS, Mario64, Goldeneye, these few games are the only ones that have actually made me pleased to have let the current consoles deserve a place in my bedroom next to my Super Nintendo and Mega Drive. The developers didn't understand that gaming wasn't about the graphics and how good the game looked, it was about the gameplay, originality, lastibility and ideas they had. Many companies dropped from the industry like swatted flies, many managed to hang in there and keep hold until this day, but one thing is for sure, this period of time, gaming was far from good.

Currently:

Gaming is worse, only a few companies actually decide on making good games, while the others just pump out a game with a lot of publicity and sell it in millions. Black & White was worth the wait, but for many others the wait was worthless. The current situation is that many gamers are deciding on what games to buy, only a few games trickle out of the process that are even worth the money, only a few games even get attention.

Future:

Gaming has had a kick start by the promise of better things in the future, finally the Playstation and Nintendo 64 can be put to rest, finally maybe we will see a new 'Seven Years ago' era, gaming has been said by some to never have 'looked so good', well let me just tell those people that you haven't been around long, have you? I hope that the future is bright, I hope we see less of the churning and more of the making, less of the visual effects and more of the brilliant ideas, although gaming has never been so popular, for me gaming is far from great...

Lets hope the future holds something.
Thanks
er-no
Mon 11/06/01 at 20:42
A superb topic, Ild agree that the Games industry has not shone so brightly lately. Hopefully when the X-box and Gamecube come out the increased competition between formats will bring us some killer Titles.

Ild disagree about the last generation of consoles not giving us classics, Goldeneye, Mario and Zelda on the N64 are true classics. Driver, MetalGearSolid, ResidentEvil and are classics on the Playstation that left there mark. The same is true of Shenmue, House of The Dead and PhantasyStarOnline on the Dreamcast.

However there have been more rubbish games on these consoles than their 16bit cousins, this is probably due to the fact that the high price of cartridges prevent the release of rubbish games.
Mon 11/06/01 at 20:20
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
From the title I thought that this was going to be about sonic and his 10th birthday.

I was wrong but a very good post. I remember playing on my mats mega drive every day, and i really was great. Alot of ideas were going around then and lots of games offered something new and different.

Many games today are the same old stuff, but my DC has kept me through it was some real classics.
Mon 11/06/01 at 20:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
Yeah.. I won?
Sun 10/06/01 at 22:21
I was going to post this as a new topic, but I thought it would go better under this topic.

I said in my earlier post that the games that I played 7 to 10 years ago don't have the same appeal to me now as they did then. And, I am pretty sure that there are other people out there that feel the same way.

Now, what I am leading to is Compilations of old games.
Classic games compilations don't tend to do very well now. Is this because that, even though these games were classics, they just don't have the same appeal as they did ten years ago.

I am just curious. Sega are going to bring out a Sonic compilation. Even though these games were well loved and are classics, will they still have that appeal that each of those Sonic games had back when they were first released.
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:54
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I musta missed that!
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
er-no wrote:
> M16, every game ten years ago had some new appeal to it, whether it
> was bad or good, each game had something different to offer the
> gamer,

Which brings us directly back to the originality debate of a few days ago.
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:32
Regular
er-no wrote:
> Thanks people, my honest opinion in a nutshell, and Grix won't read
> it!

Don't be so sure. Great topic... and excellently discussed after. I'm a bit short on time, but I'll add something to this later. :0)
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:22
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
There are still a handful of excellent games for each console erno!
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:06
Regular
"everyone says it"
M16, every game ten years ago had some new appeal to it, whether it was bad or good, each game had something different to offer the gamer, it made gaming a special place, gaming wasn't that popular, there were a small amount of hardcore gamers and the companies directed their games at these gamers and them alone.

Now we just have so many gamers that you really can't blame the companies for releasing a bad game that they know will produce a huge profit, as long as the game has appeal and a nice name, it will sell and make some money, because if you were a company, I reckon you would spend a month on making a game that makes a million then a year on a game that makes a million. Do you see?

Gaming is now all about the money, ten years ago it was all about the gamers. This is were the faultline lies and carries on to show the sad process of the last ten years.

The future may be bright for the people that haven't been around for that long, but the future for the original hardcore gamers is not a merry place.

Companies just don't understand, and why should they because they are making the money that fuels them to make these mistakes.
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:58
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Yes, er-no I agree.

I know I mentioned some great games, I like to think about the great games than I do the bad games. That’s another thing I don’t think there was as many bad games in the old days that there are today. Let’s face it, gaming has come to a bit of a sticky patch because companies are running low on new games, which I can’t blame them for. Why? Because they have been thinking up new ideas for almost 10 years so this is only natural.

I am very certain that the gaming world will lift its chin up and retain the quality it once had. As you said, the Game Boy Advance is the way forward at the moment as it is going to remind me of playing games on the SNES. The GBA is exactly what we need at the moment. Something that is reminding us of gameplay rather than graphics.

I can not wait until I play Tony Hawk’s because I know that I love the gameplay so much and the graphics that it has to offer is an added bonus, for me.

Also, the gaming world is starting to introduce new technology to today, we can’t forget about this, can we now?

Let me start with the controller.

We have had many different designs. Some I loved, others I was not to keen on but the point is that companies learned from their mistakes, which is why we are getting great controllers out today. Just look at the PS2’s controller. When playing a racing game, however hard you are pressing the button effects the speed you car will travel. If you had told me that we would one day have this feature 10 year ago, I would phone the police and get you arrested.

Also, as we all know, online gaming is getting more and more poplar and it was a great success on the Dreamcast. That alone is bringing in new game ideas because we can play them against people from all over the world.

I am sure that we will get to see many new technology ideas coming to gaming so that is something for all of us to look forward to.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.