GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ten Years Ago....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:33
Regular
Ten Years ago:

Games were made good because they had the gameplay and lastibility, these two key words charged many games and made them excellent to play and complete in every way shape and form, games like Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were pure class built on the idea of originality and another key word 'fun'. The games of ten years ago had all the ingrediants of the best games ever. Maybe they didn't have the graphics, but that wasn't important in those days as people didn't know what gaming graphics were going to be like nowadays, every game had something new and fresh to offer and brought all the ideas which games use today.

Seven Years ago:

The best time for gaming was seven years ago, the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive were in the ring beating the hell out of each other with classic after classic, hell there were more classics than bad games, and at this point in time I thought gaming really couldn't get any better, all my best memories come from these two platforms, the games contained something which most current ones don't, and that is 'ideas'. The likes of Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Secret of Mana and Sonic made me believe that gaming was going to get so much better, these games had the simplest yet most pleasing graphics of any game, they weren't to realistic and weren't meant to be, these games were 'THE' games that founded most of our addictions to the gaming world.

Three Years ago:

The end of the millennium, wasn't a pleasing sight for me as a gamer. The games of this period began to drop in quality with only a few managing to impress the world, thousands of games were being produced every year and this ruined gaming. MGS, Mario64, Goldeneye, these few games are the only ones that have actually made me pleased to have let the current consoles deserve a place in my bedroom next to my Super Nintendo and Mega Drive. The developers didn't understand that gaming wasn't about the graphics and how good the game looked, it was about the gameplay, originality, lastibility and ideas they had. Many companies dropped from the industry like swatted flies, many managed to hang in there and keep hold until this day, but one thing is for sure, this period of time, gaming was far from good.

Currently:

Gaming is worse, only a few companies actually decide on making good games, while the others just pump out a game with a lot of publicity and sell it in millions. Black & White was worth the wait, but for many others the wait was worthless. The current situation is that many gamers are deciding on what games to buy, only a few games trickle out of the process that are even worth the money, only a few games even get attention.

Future:

Gaming has had a kick start by the promise of better things in the future, finally the Playstation and Nintendo 64 can be put to rest, finally maybe we will see a new 'Seven Years ago' era, gaming has been said by some to never have 'looked so good', well let me just tell those people that you haven't been around long, have you? I hope that the future is bright, I hope we see less of the churning and more of the making, less of the visual effects and more of the brilliant ideas, although gaming has never been so popular, for me gaming is far from great...

Lets hope the future holds something.
Thanks
er-no
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:33
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ten Years ago:

Games were made good because they had the gameplay and lastibility, these two key words charged many games and made them excellent to play and complete in every way shape and form, games like Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were pure class built on the idea of originality and another key word 'fun'. The games of ten years ago had all the ingrediants of the best games ever. Maybe they didn't have the graphics, but that wasn't important in those days as people didn't know what gaming graphics were going to be like nowadays, every game had something new and fresh to offer and brought all the ideas which games use today.

Seven Years ago:

The best time for gaming was seven years ago, the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive were in the ring beating the hell out of each other with classic after classic, hell there were more classics than bad games, and at this point in time I thought gaming really couldn't get any better, all my best memories come from these two platforms, the games contained something which most current ones don't, and that is 'ideas'. The likes of Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Secret of Mana and Sonic made me believe that gaming was going to get so much better, these games had the simplest yet most pleasing graphics of any game, they weren't to realistic and weren't meant to be, these games were 'THE' games that founded most of our addictions to the gaming world.

Three Years ago:

The end of the millennium, wasn't a pleasing sight for me as a gamer. The games of this period began to drop in quality with only a few managing to impress the world, thousands of games were being produced every year and this ruined gaming. MGS, Mario64, Goldeneye, these few games are the only ones that have actually made me pleased to have let the current consoles deserve a place in my bedroom next to my Super Nintendo and Mega Drive. The developers didn't understand that gaming wasn't about the graphics and how good the game looked, it was about the gameplay, originality, lastibility and ideas they had. Many companies dropped from the industry like swatted flies, many managed to hang in there and keep hold until this day, but one thing is for sure, this period of time, gaming was far from good.

Currently:

Gaming is worse, only a few companies actually decide on making good games, while the others just pump out a game with a lot of publicity and sell it in millions. Black & White was worth the wait, but for many others the wait was worthless. The current situation is that many gamers are deciding on what games to buy, only a few games trickle out of the process that are even worth the money, only a few games even get attention.

Future:

Gaming has had a kick start by the promise of better things in the future, finally the Playstation and Nintendo 64 can be put to rest, finally maybe we will see a new 'Seven Years ago' era, gaming has been said by some to never have 'looked so good', well let me just tell those people that you haven't been around long, have you? I hope that the future is bright, I hope we see less of the churning and more of the making, less of the visual effects and more of the brilliant ideas, although gaming has never been so popular, for me gaming is far from great...

Lets hope the future holds something.
Thanks
er-no
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:41
Regular
"Hoo Har"
This is the truest thing i've hear all day Er-No. Brilliant topic.

I could play Mario or the SNES longer than metal gear solid. As there arnt any classical gams now!

:)
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:43
YEs er-no great topic!
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
Thanks people, my honest opinion in a nutshell, and Grix won't read it!
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:51
Regular
Yes, the games were so much better in the past, mario bros, mario world, the sonics, Secret of Mana, bomber man and street fighter 2 are some of the games i first remember playing and when I played them they made me feel happy.They were actually FUN.But theses days it's hard to find a game that is fun, most of them are really stressful and somtimes give you head achs (well they do me).I don't like all of the new graphics coming out on new consoles, I think they look to realistic, a game should'ent be realistic it shoud simple and fun.
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:52
Regular
Oh yeh, great topic. : )
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:03
First of all, great post er-no.

The good thing about gaming ten years ago, is that there were so many ideas that hadn't been explored. There were so many original ideas that hadn't been put into games yet, which meant more choice of what game to produce, and a good variety in the games. Ok, so the graphics weren't all that back then, but, that's looking at it from ten years in the future. I got my first computer ten years ago, a Master System, and then, I though it was brilliant. I though the graphics were brilliant, and the games were brilliant. Now, they just wouldn't have the same appeal to me.

Seven years ago, the battle of Sega and Nintendo, all of those original ideas that couldn't be used ten years ago on Master System and NES, can be put to good use on the Megadrive and SNES. This was the era, that, if you ask me, most of the original ideas got used up. This, in my eyes, still stands as the best console battle to date, with each company pulling all the stops to be the best, bringing out original game ofter original games, classic after classic. The console battle back then was, just, classic.

Three years ago, most of the original ideas used up. The consoles got better, so those original ideas used up seven years ago, were made better, but they gradually lost their originality. Sega were still bringing us some origianl titles, with games like Crazi Taxi, coming out around this time. But the fact of the matter is, everyone was running out of ideas.

At the moment, the same thing applies. The consoles have got much better, so those original ideas are being enhanced again, but, they are no longer original, just enhancements. There may still be some great unexplored ideas out there, but I haven't seen any sign of them yet.

In the future. Well, the console will probably keep on progressing, and so will those original ideas, or should I say, unoriginal ideas. There is going to be another console battle between three big companies, but can this battle, rival that of seven years ago between Sega and Nintendo. Only time will tell.
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:14
Regular
"You've upset me"
er-no wrote:
> Ten Years ago:

Games were made good because they had the gameplay
> and lastibility, these two key words charged many games and made
> them excellent to play and complete in every way shape and form,
> games like Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were pure class built on the
> idea of originality and another key word 'fun'. The games of ten
> years ago had all the ingrediants of the best games ever. Maybe they
> didn't have the graphics, but that wasn't important in those days as
> people didn't know what gaming graphics were going to be like
> nowadays, every game had something new and fresh to offer and
> brought all the ideas which games use today.

Seven Years
> ago:

The best time for gaming was seven years ago, the Super
> Nintendo and Mega Drive were in the ring beating the hell out of
> each other with classic after classic, hell there were more classics
> than bad games, and at this point in time I thought gaming really
> couldn't get any better, all my best memories come from these two
> platforms, the games contained something which most current ones
> don't, and that is 'ideas'. The likes of Super Mario World, Mario
> Kart, Secret of Mana and Sonic made me believe that gaming was going
> to get so much better, these games had the simplest yet most
> pleasing graphics of any game, they weren't to realistic and weren't
> meant to be, these games were 'THE' games that founded most of our
> addictions to the gaming world.

Three Years ago:

The end of
> the millennium, wasn't a pleasing sight for me as a gamer. The games
> of this period began to drop in quality with only a few managing to
> impress the world, thousands of games were being produced every year
> and this ruined gaming. MGS, Mario64, Goldeneye, these few games are
> the only ones that have actually made me pleased to have let the
> current consoles deserve a place in my bedroom next to my Super
> Nintendo and Mega Drive. The developers didn't understand that
> gaming wasn't about the graphics and how good the game looked, it
> was about the gameplay, originality, lastibility and ideas they had.
> Many companies dropped from the industry like swatted flies, many
> managed to hang in there and keep hold until this day, but one thing
> is for sure, this period of time, gaming was far from
> good.

Currently:

Gaming is worse, only a few companies
> actually decide on making good games, while the others just pump out
> a game with a lot of publicity and sell it in millions. Black &
> White was worth the wait, but for many others the wait was
> worthless. The current situation is that many gamers are deciding on
> what games to buy, only a few games trickle out of the process that
> are even worth the money, only a few games even get
> attention.

Future:

Gaming has had a kick start by the promise
> of better things in the future, finally the Playstation and Nintendo
> 64 can be put to rest, finally maybe we will see a new 'Seven Years
> ago' era, gaming has been said by some to never have 'looked so
> good', well let me just tell those people that you haven't been
> around long, have you? I hope that the future is bright, I hope we
> see less of the churning and more of the making, less of the visual
> effects and more of the brilliant ideas, although gaming has never
> been so popular, for me gaming is far from great...

Lets hope the
> future holds something.
Thanks
er-no

First of all this is definitely a post deserving of GAD. It looks like the FOG Revival has been put into motion. I'll be contributing my bit tomorrow!

Secondly, did anyone else notice that this 'Story of gaming' is a hell of a lot like the 'Story of the FOG forum'?
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:14
Regular
Good point.
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:15
Regular
My good point was to super gohon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.