GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playing games using damaged Xbox 360 game discs."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/10/09 at 22:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
As you may or may not be aware following the recent Xbox Live dashboard update there is now a facility to install entire games onto your Xbox 360’s hard drive.You still need the original game disc to play the game (obviously to prevent piracy) but the idea is that any games with long loading times will play better due to the faster data transfer rate.At first this seems like a pretty unnecessary update and one most gamers could not be bothered to use,especially as some games can be anything up to around 8 GB in size and will take up valuable hard drive space.But there is a very useful thing this update can be used for and that is if you have damaged one of your game discs.As long as the console can read the very beginning of the disc,then this trick will get you out of the woods.

Firstly you will need to borrow/rent an undamaged copy of the game and install it to your Xbox 360’s hard drive.

This is done by doing the following :

1. Place the game disc into your console,then exit to the Xbox 360 dashboard.

2. Scroll down to ‘My Xbox’.

3. Scroll across to ‘Game Library’ then in the right hand column select ‘Xbox 360 games’.

4. The game in your tray should now be selectable,simply click on this option then select ‘Install To Hard Drive’.

5. Once this is complete remove the disc from your console.

Once this has been done then anytime the game disc is placed in the console the game can be played from the hard drive.

My friend completely ruined of one his games after knocking his console when the disc was spinning and ended up with a circular mark in the middle of the disc.The game would load to the menu screen but could not be played.He borrowed a copy of the same game,installed it to the hard drive as listed above.Now when he places his damaged disc in his console he can play all aspects of the game perfectly.If your lucky enough to have your Xbox 360 equipped with a 120GB hard drive then there is plenty of room for the occasional time you may need to do this.Games installed to the hard drive can be deleted at a future date if they are no longer required.

Obviously if the disc is completely unreadable then this trick will not work but as long as the console can read the very start of the disc,then you may not need to buy a new copy of that damaged game after all ?.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 10/11/09 at 16:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:

Wish i would have done this. I haven't bought FIFA 10 yet
(although, NHL 10 is top priority for me atm) but i can't even
play FIFA 09 which i do have because it's completely scratched.
Only working FIFA game i have is FIFA 08 for the PS2 :(

Chris,if your 360 will recognize the disc can you not borrow or rent an undamaged copy of FIFA 09 ?,that way you could just install it to the HDD and use your wrecked disc to launch it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.