GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playing games using damaged Xbox 360 game discs."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/10/09 at 22:45
Regular
"I like turtles"
As you may or may not be aware following the recent Xbox Live dashboard update there is now a facility to install entire games onto your Xbox 360’s hard drive.You still need the original game disc to play the game (obviously to prevent piracy) but the idea is that any games with long loading times will play better due to the faster data transfer rate.At first this seems like a pretty unnecessary update and one most gamers could not be bothered to use,especially as some games can be anything up to around 8 GB in size and will take up valuable hard drive space.But there is a very useful thing this update can be used for and that is if you have damaged one of your game discs.As long as the console can read the very beginning of the disc,then this trick will get you out of the woods.

Firstly you will need to borrow/rent an undamaged copy of the game and install it to your Xbox 360’s hard drive.

This is done by doing the following :

1. Place the game disc into your console,then exit to the Xbox 360 dashboard.

2. Scroll down to ‘My Xbox’.

3. Scroll across to ‘Game Library’ then in the right hand column select ‘Xbox 360 games’.

4. The game in your tray should now be selectable,simply click on this option then select ‘Install To Hard Drive’.

5. Once this is complete remove the disc from your console.

Once this has been done then anytime the game disc is placed in the console the game can be played from the hard drive.

My friend completely ruined of one his games after knocking his console when the disc was spinning and ended up with a circular mark in the middle of the disc.The game would load to the menu screen but could not be played.He borrowed a copy of the same game,installed it to the hard drive as listed above.Now when he places his damaged disc in his console he can play all aspects of the game perfectly.If your lucky enough to have your Xbox 360 equipped with a 120GB hard drive then there is plenty of room for the occasional time you may need to do this.Games installed to the hard drive can be deleted at a future date if they are no longer required.

Obviously if the disc is completely unreadable then this trick will not work but as long as the console can read the very start of the disc,then you may not need to buy a new copy of that damaged game after all ?.
Tue 10/11/09 at 16:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Sonic Chris wrote:

Wish i would have done this. I haven't bought FIFA 10 yet
(although, NHL 10 is top priority for me atm) but i can't even
play FIFA 09 which i do have because it's completely scratched.
Only working FIFA game i have is FIFA 08 for the PS2 :(

Chris,if your 360 will recognize the disc can you not borrow or rent an undamaged copy of FIFA 09 ?,that way you could just install it to the HDD and use your wrecked disc to launch it.
Tue 10/11/09 at 16:03
Regular
"How Ironic"
Wish i would have done this. I haven't bought FIFA 10 yet (although, NHL 10 is top priority for me atm) but i can't even play FIFA 09 which i do have because it's completely scratched. Only working FIFA game i have is FIFA 08 for the PS2 :(
Tue 10/11/09 at 13:56
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
With regards to Halo 3, Bungie released an in-game tip message thingy (technical wording...) saying to play it from the disc.

I installed all of Forza 3 onto the HD as found playing the disc was rather noisey (so much to read off of the disc!). Installed it and now you can barely hear the console. Silence is a golden virtue in the 360 gamers paradise!
Wed 28/10/09 at 21:29
Regular
"I like turtles"
Kaepora Gaebora wrote:

A quicker way to install a game it to just press Y after closing the tray, then select Install game to HD.

Cool,thanks for the tip.
Wed 28/10/09 at 19:59
Regular
Er... this happened in last year's update? I actually bought a 120GB HD in preparation for last year's update, simply because I couldn't stand the noise of the DVD drive. I now have around 12 games and loads of demos installed on it, about 15GB left. I also had a scratched copy of Hitman which meant it always froze at the same point on some levels, after installing meant no more freezes. Of course the loading times are a bit quicker too, but I was ok with them before. The only exception to that is Halo 3, which takes at least three times longer now than from DVD, the reason being was that Bungie already made use of the HD to cache data and speed up loading times... so if you can imagine loading data off the HD to the HD again, that will hurt performance.

A quicker way to install a game it to just press Y after closing the tray, then select Install game to HD.
Wed 28/10/09 at 17:11
Regular
"I like turtles"
Warhunt wrote:
Is a nice plan to be fair. Don't own a Xbox 360 anymore, but when
I did and I bought Blue Dragon you had the option to install the
game on to the hard drive so that it reduced loading times etc. I
thought it was like that for all games but maybe it was just that
game or something then? :S

Yeah must have been for that game.I have never played any 360 game that invited you to do this although Forza Motorsport 3 has some monster installs required before you can play the game.

Ahhh the good old chipped XBox's. Illegal, but cheap :S

That made me laugh ! :)

Found a useful site which lists the size of most of the popular 360 games which is quite useful if you are running short on hard drive space : Here
Wed 28/10/09 at 14:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Is a nice plan to be fair. Don't own a Xbox 360 anymore, but when I did and I bought Blue Dragon you had the option to install the game on to the hard drive so that it reduced loading times etc. I thought it was like that for all games but maybe it was just that game or something then? :S

But if the update allows the full game on there that's excellent. Ahhh the good old chipped XBox's. Illegal, but cheap :S
Wed 28/10/09 at 13:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
Warhunt wrote:
Nice, although in fairness I thought this was how it worked from the start.

No mate it wasn't.This feature was only applied from a fairly recent dashboard update which came out a few months back.Think US 360 owners might have got it slightly earlier than we did ?.It could be done on the original Xbox but only if the console had been modded (which is of course illegal !).The point of my post was to point out something regarding this feature which a lot of people (myself included) seem to have initially missed and that was it is possible to play games perfectly off badly damaged discs.I had to buy another copy of a game (think it was a Rock Band/Guitar Hero title) which my daughter wrecked a few months ago.This disc would start to load then stop.The point is I paid over Ł30 for game which I already owned when I may not have needed to do so.
Wed 28/10/09 at 13:03
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Nice, although in fairness I thought this was how it worked from the start.
Wed 28/10/09 at 11:59
Regular
"I like turtles"
Update : Not sure if there are any games which cannot be installed to the 360 HDD ?,if anyone knows of any please feel free to update this thread.Passed this tip on to another of my friends who I know had a very badly damaged copy of COD 4.The console recognised the disc but it would go past the first loading screen.He borrowed another copy of the game,installed it the 360 Hard drive and confirmed this trick worked perfectly on that game.He had already tried one of the disc repair services but that had not worked as the disc had some very deep scratches on it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.