GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web site display ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/11/05 at 17:11
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I've just finished work on a website for a friend, its not online yet but I went to see them today just to show them the final version.

Small problem though, I've been designing the site on my laptop so its set for a 1024*768 display. He's using 800*600 so it doesn't quite display as planned on his machine and his monitor is too small for him to use a bigger resolution.

Anything that can be done to optimize the code to run well on both displays? Something I've never come across before so I know very little about what can be done.
Will I have to redesign the site for the smaller display and just accept how it appears on 1024*768?

Any advice and info would be much appreciated.
Wed 16/11/05 at 12:27
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thank you both.

I don't have access to the full code to give you an example. They are all offline on another PC. I just had some parts of the code to show the example of the problem I had.

Cheers for the site link tyla - extremely helpful. Think I've managed to get it sorted. your help was much appreciated.
Lets hope these forums stay - hard to find a good place on the web to find a helpful hand when needed.
:0)
Wed 16/11/05 at 11:44
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Tyla may know of a proper fix though, if he's about.

TBH, I'd either need to see the site or all of the code (css/html) it's too difficult trying to work out the problem based on partial code, no example.

Sounds like you've borked you floats and ideally the van should be inside the main container. Have a look at: [URL]http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html[/URL]

Bound to find a fix in there.
Wed 16/11/05 at 11:10
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm afraid that I don't know of a work around which will prevent IE from doing that, but you could add a setting for the left (or right) column to be absolute positioned, rather than as a float, for IE only, like so:

Surround the two columns with a
, such as , with the CSS:

div#navanemain {
position: relative;
}

... and add this CSS ...

* html body #navBar {
position: absolute;
left: 0;
top: 0;
}

... does that work?

If so, this bug is apparently fixed for IE 7, and that hack above won't be read by IE 7 either, so when that is released, you shouldn't see a problem (touch wood).

Tyla may know of a proper fix though, if he's about.
Wed 16/11/05 at 10:59
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yeah I'm using floats.

The css code for the left part is something like:

#navBar {
float:left;
background-color: #333333;
width:145px;
}

The content part is like
#content{
position:relative;
float: right;
width: 500px;
margin: 0;
padding: 0 20% 0 0;
}

Know a way around this?
Wed 16/11/05 at 10:54
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Are you using floats at all, or is it all in a table?

It just looks like the effect of a float in IE, where the two side by side area's are too large for the screen, and IE just stack them up. I believe the float is supposed to flow over the content if this happens, but a bug in IE prevents this (which is why Firefox doesn't have this problem).
Wed 16/11/05 at 10:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Here is a quick example of the problem.

[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/iceman_ali/site1.jpg[/URL]
This picture shows the site displayed as it should be.

[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/iceman_ali/site2.jpg[/URL]

When you resize the screen (or if you were using 800x600 screen resolution then at times the content moves the left side bar down to below the content like in this second link.

If you have msn - iceman_ali at hotmail . com

Thanks
Wed 16/11/05 at 09:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I don't think you should need to go that far, but without seeing the code, it's hard to find the cause of the problem.

Currently, IE has many issues with CSS, and I expect the issue may be with CSS floats, unless you're not using that CSS property?

Is there any chance we could see a live version, or perhaps a few screen shots of before and after (where the site looks fine, but then where the problem is) with the content blured out if that's what you prefer?
Tue 15/11/05 at 23:26
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Looking for a little bit of advice on this.

No matter what I have tried IE doesn't seem to like my design and always removes the side bar when the page size is reduced.

I was thinking I could use some javascript to find the users browser display sizes and if its too small then display a smaller version of the site designed for low resolution monitors. I know if the users have javascript turned off then this will not work but would it be an acceptable way around this problem?
Fri 11/11/05 at 16:36
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/iceman_ali/sitehelp.jpg[/URL]

Created that just to show what the basic layout is without much content.
Basically an image at the top of the page and images down the left hand side with links in them.

Problem comes with IE on small screens, the bar at the left moves to below the content of the main area of the page.

I'm totally new to CSS so I'm not sure how to stop that from happening.

The image at the top was in a table with width set to 100% but I'm going to take that out.
The left menu images are also in a table (could that be causing the problem) ?
Going to try play around with things tonight to see if I can get anywhere with it.
Fri 11/11/05 at 13:46
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Colspans muck it up too if you try to set clashing columns both at 100%.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.