GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controllers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/06/01 at 18:06
Regular
Controllers have been around for years in all shapes and sizes and I'm writing this to show which is the best one and why.

Binatone
->circle for movement (simple)

Atari
->Joystick with one button
(good enough for the games it had)

Nes
->Directional pad-start/select-2 buttons
(very nice,D pad is easy to roll you thumb on, excellent design)

Master System
D pad was pretty bad, other buttons were OK.

Snes
D pad-Start/Select, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons
(excellent)

N64
->D-pad,analog stick, start,6 face buttons,2 shoulder ,1 trigger.
(Awful d-pad, analog stick is easy to use but is really just a d pad with a stick on like the old zip sticks,good underneath button though,not for everybody.

Playstation
->d-pad,analog,Start,Select,4 face buttons,4 shoulder,2 analog buttons (L3,R3)
Excellent D-pad,buttons are all very easily accesible and best design for a controller.

Dreamcast
D-pad,Analog,4 face buttons plus 1, 2 triggers.
Excellent analog and dpad,best Sega controller ever.

Playstation 2
Update of the PSone but with complete analog buttons that can tell difference of 256 levels of pressure,Analog is incredibly sensitive, dual shock is more accurate.I hear a force feedback controller is coming soon.Best ever.

Gamecube
from what i've seen of this controller it has a very nice analog stick which is small so it's easier to handle,looks good too.

Xbox
This just rips off everything before it and looks unoriginal and cheap.

Can't remember the saturn's or mega drives.

which is your favourite controller of all time?
Sun 10/06/01 at 13:32
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
YES! Another N64 controller fan!
Sun 10/06/01 at 12:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think the n64 pad is the best in terms of ergonomic design, it feels 'natural' and all of the important buttons are reachable with ease, it also allows precision shooting in goldeneye because it has that excellent analogue stick (which everyone else copied), the playstation one is ok but not brilliant, the snes one was really good, and allowed good control for the games that were on the machine at the time. Overall i will say the N64 controller comes out tops.
Sun 10/06/01 at 12:04
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Have any of you ever tried any PC ones because you will be suprised at how much better some of them are!
Sun 10/06/01 at 12:02
Regular
New Jimmy wrote:
> ResidentEvilFan commented on the N64 controller:

"analog
> stick is easy to use but is really just a d pad with a stick on like
> the old zip sticks"

In reply if it isnt a true analog pad
> then its very good.

If you open the N64 controller you'll see it's a lot different to a D-pad!

Buy I don't reccoment taking them apart because they might stick or not work properly once put bck together...
Sun 10/06/01 at 11:40
If the Gamecubes Control pads are wireless then that will be a great leap forward for multiplayer gaming. The N64 is great for Multiplayer gaming, although at times the wires of the controllers get in the way (Not as much as a Playstation with a multitap though, many a game of FIFA has been spoiled with the wires pulling the playstation down off the table).
Sun 10/06/01 at 10:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I thought the DC's analog stick was far too looses.
Sun 10/06/01 at 09:08
Yeah, i agree - I think the Dreamcast controller is the best. It fits really comfortably in your hands, and is the best for driving games as you pull an analogue trigger instead of pressing an A button on the N64 controller.
I prefer the analogue stick position on the DC pad because there is so much wasted space on the N64 pad having it in the middle. If you pick up a N64 controller for the first time, you don't hold it correctly, you hold it like a Dreamcast pad.
Sun 10/06/01 at 08:43
I reckon the DC's pad is the best ever made. All the buttons are easily accessible and it's real comfy to hold, especially the Madcatz one which has nice rubber grips on the handles.

Also, you can check up on game stats or get tips by looking at the VMU while you're playing. Another thing about VMUs is that you can download games to play on them from the internet and you can also make your own animations for them.

Another control pad which deserves a mention is the PSX pad. Not as nice as the DC pad, in my opinion, but nevertheless, it boasts a sturdy construction and if you think of all the buttons on it (20), it's pretty small. I mean, think of all the wires/contacts/chipboards that are crammed into that tiny space.
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
"Two heads are better than one"

Ummm...
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:44
Regular
"Back For Good"
to be honest this is really a dumb topic, I'm just trying to do sommin new.never mind

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.