GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Commentator Comments"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/11/05 at 21:16
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Commentator Comments

Jim Ross - Good Ol' J.R
My Rating: 8/10

Jim Ross in my opinion is one of the best commentators there is/has ever been. Granted on many occasions he says the wrong name of a wrestler and many occasionally confuse the viewer if its someone new who hasnt watched wrestling for ages and is trying to learn their names, but J.R does also have some good points. He is a commentator who speaks his mind to the superstars even if it means him getting a hella-ass-kicking. He is emotional when it comes to commentating which is good because a monotone commentator is just plain boring. As i said in another thread, many of the highlight packages use JR's commentary to help follow the storyline and show how heated the feud has become. A down point would have to be how the majority of the time...whenever he enters a ring...you know he will end up on the mat, either a bloodied mess or holding his balls, or both.

Jerry "The King" Lawler
My Rating: 5/10

So...King...what to say about King...well...i would have to say the first thing i notice about King, being an ex-wrestler you would think he would know move names and give a bit of insightful commentary, whereas what he actually does is "Oooh Puppies!" and starts making perverted comments. This may be funny, but King can sometimes get a bit annoying with his plain stupidity. I still remember about a year ago, Randy Orton was setting a table up in the corner of the ring, and King says to J.R "what a great competitor, he is removing that table from the ring so that the match can coninue". It was so obvious Orton wasnt doing that it just made him look plain silly! King is also annoying how he jumps on the bandwagon of any heelish superstar, although recently he has had to be more against the heels, as otherwise we would have two heel-loving comentators. Luckily King is only the secondary commentator for the majority of the time and therefore we dont have to listen to him as much. He is good at jokes about how stupid Eugene is, and comes up with the odd funny comment about other people, but Overall he isnt much cop.

"The Coach"
My Rating: 1/10

Terrible. Coach is rubbish at play-by-play, he doesnt know a lot of the move names, except the ones he made up. He shortens peoples names (Kerwin White to K.White and he did another one exactly the same (with their initial and then last name)) so if coach had his way it will soon be R.Flair, R.Orton, T.Tomko etc. The wrestlers wont have first names anymore because the idiot has shortened em all! Coachs analogy is terible, "The Big Show is Big" Hmmm, Vince...why do you pay Coach again?!?!? Also in the gaps where the wrestlers are both down, Coach has no clue how to fill the gaps. J.R would used to come out with some facts he had researched, but it seems like neither Coach or King do their homework. I would say that WWE gave JR the facts to say, but considering how there are no longer facts since JR has been gone i think that he may have done them himself. Overall, Coach = a big pile of steaming hot poopoo

"Todd Grisham"
My Rating: 3/10

Grisham isnt too bad, his Maaaaaiiiiiiiiiiinnnn Eeeeeeevvvvveeeeeennnnnttttt pronounciation is a thing that is alright i suppose. He went up in my books after his Halloween dress up because that was pretty funny.

Tazz
My Rating: 8/10

Tazz is one of my favourite commentators. Hes cool, but hes down to earth, he doesnt kiss the superstars asses. Hes also a very good play-by-play comentator as he knows the names of the moves and stuff (King should learn from him)

Michael "He's won, nope only a 2 count" Cole
My Rating: 6/10

Cole is alright at commentating on matches i think, although it seems to me that every time someone tries a pin Cole will say something like "hes got the win" or "its 3! its 3!" when its only 2. Every pin attempt he assumes is the winning pin, which i find a bit annoying. The rest of his match analysis isnt too bad and he is quite good at re-telling/recapping storylines for people who have missed out on what happened. However i did kinda get bored with him going over and over the Eddie/Rey storyline!

Josh Matthews

Not too bad, good interviewer, not a bad commentator, knows what hes talking about (sometimes)

Steve Romero

Not bad either, although i think him and Matthews should argue more. Adds more to the show as it shows both sides of a point. Also more to talk about. People who agree all the time tend to be pretty dull as they have no input into what to say.

Joey Styles
My Rating: ?/10

I dont think i have seen enough of Styles to give him an accurate rating. Someone else can do him if they want to. What i have seen so far i have been impressed with. Styles to replace Coach any day!

Feel free to add your own or stick up for Coach :p
Mon 07/11/05 at 12:30
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I hope Styles does take the job on a full time basis. Apparently if he doesn't it's back to JR which isn't a bad thing but after listening to Styles commentary on Taboo Tuesday I think he has the edge over Ross.
Mon 07/11/05 at 10:27
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Cong_Man wrote:
> JR - 5/10
> OK, before you all hang me for that one,

I'd hang you for it but only because it's too high :-D

> Styles - 10/10
> Quite simply, the greatest active, living commentator in this day and
> age. I've never ever heard him stuck for what to call a move, or blow
> a call. Commentary is an art, Joey is an artist.

Ya big thief, you stole that from Joey himself :-D
Fri 04/11/05 at 23:41
Regular
"..."
JR - 5/10
OK, before you all hang me for that one, my scores are based on now, not five years ago. JR is a shadow of his former self, forgetting important details like wrestler names, moves etc. He's not the greatest of all time as most of you have suggested, but in his prime, he was a close second to Gordon Solie. Now was the right time for him to give it up though.
King - 1/10,
Scores a single point for the quality of his one liners. Guilty of getting himself over, but never putting any of the wrestlers over, the core job for any colour commentator. Annoys me muchly
Coach - 6/10
Solid colour guy, sucks at play-by-play though
Grisham - 3/10
Bland.
Tazz - 7/10
Has learnt his craft quickly, but there's only so much he can learn from being paired with Michael Cole. For me, he needs to be a bit nastier on commentary, as at present, he agrees with Cole waaaay too much.
Cole - 5/10
Distinctly average.
Romero - 0/10
I can't find anything redeeming for this guy. Seems to know nothing about wrestling. Clearly in the wrong job.
Matthews - 1/10
All round poor.
Styles - 10/10
Quite simply, the greatest active, living commentator in this day and age. I've never ever heard him stuck for what to call a move, or blow a call. Commentary is an art, Joey is an artist.
Fri 04/11/05 at 15:24
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Smedlos wrote:

> Michael Cole gels nicely with Tazz. Whether he could have the same
> spark with any other announcer is doubtful 5/10

I agree...very doubtful

Tazz carries cole
Fri 04/11/05 at 09:19
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Jim Ross - The best commentator around which is why Vince got rid of him to carry on his long long run of poor decisions 9/10

Jerry "The King" Lawler - Had a good partnership with JR and his one liners are great 7/10

The Coach - Terrible 1/10

Todd Grisham - Poor 3/10

Tazz - Only second to JR 8/10

Michael Cole - Rubbish to start off with (apparently people were telling him what to say through his earpiece when he first started on Smackdown) but gels nicely with Tazz. Whether he could have the same spark with any other announcer is doubtful 5/10

Josh Matthews - One for the future in my opinion if he's given the chance 6/10

Steve Romero and Joey Styles - not really heard them much
Fri 04/11/05 at 08:50
Regular
"8==="
A few of the wrestlers have been very funny when they've been given the chance to commentate on a match.
Fri 04/11/05 at 02:45
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
The Wardy wrote:
> King (funny) Coach (tries to be funny)
> so King will have to start being more serious to adapt to Coachs
> attempt at humour.

They both try to be funny and fail in quite spectacular ways. King hasn't said or done anything funny since about 2000 when he got the backstage team to replay Taka falling out the ring about 10 times. Plus the whole old man pervert act has gone from tiresome to just plain weird.
Coach is never intentionally funny although his play by play did result in some hilarious comments due to how desperate he sounded *they're down, who's going to win? .......they're down ................. they're down!!!! ...please go to break i beg you*

Oh and Styles >>>>>>> everyone. Fact
Thu 03/11/05 at 22:24
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Michael Cole - 0/10 - Can't stand him and his voice. It's one of the reasons I don't watch Smackdown nowadays.

Okay, that's a bit harsh. Perhaps half a point for comedy value because he has said some hilarious things, which made him look stupid of course.
Thu 03/11/05 at 21:28
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
I really dont like Coach...i think hes terrible. The only thing he is good for is telling the viewers the wrestlers names, and he still trys to change that!

King must have noticed he has to say a lot more and become more serious lately.

Most commentary teams have a serious and a comedy person.

Cole (serious) Tazz (funny)
JR (serious) King (funny)
Romero (serious) Matthews (funny)
then you have...

King (funny) Coach (tries to be funny)
so King will have to start being more serious to adapt to Coachs attempt at humour.
Thu 03/11/05 at 21:25
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The Wardy wrote:
> I still remember about
> a year ago, Randy Orton was setting a table up in the corner of the
> ring, and King says to J.R "what a great competitor, he is
> removing that table from the ring so that the match can
> coninue". It was so obvious Orton wasnt doing that it just made
> him look plain silly!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.