GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have I grown up?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/11/05 at 10:32
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
So yesterday, I had the first day at work where I felt like I knew what I was doing, and that I was doing it well. I wasn't blagging it, and I wasn't doing my best to avoid doing any actual work. And what's more, it was a good feeling.

Which instantly led me to think "Dear Christ; I've turned into my Dad...". I mean, I'm enjoying work. I'm enjoying the feeling that I'm helping staff develop their careers (and, as this is me, I'm enjoying the sense of power; megalomaniacal habits die hard...). I don't even miss the fact that I haven't spent 80% of my working day on the net.

On the other hand, I still have the same sense of humour, the same wants and desires out of life, and the same contempt for people who view their work as their whole life.

Anyone else feel like they've reached a catalyst in their life recently?
Mon 07/11/05 at 15:17
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:

> Of course I'd do a job I love for poor wages

I would as well but only to a certain degree. Like you say it can make you stressed and feel undervalued where as the only difference between that and a more stressful job with better pay is the pay!

No-one can do a job that they love all the time, for example if you dreamt of being a Premiership footballer and make it then you still have the stress of being in the public eye and being slaughtered for poor performances (Peter Crouch at the minute) as well as being unfairly abused by opposition fans for example.

My job can be full on and stressful at times but I know it won't be for long so work through it - if I couldn't see an end to it then that would be the time I'd leave.
Fri 04/11/05 at 18:50
Regular
I enjoy my job about 40% of the time, the job itself is a good one, but the sometimes stupid hours and poor salary make me feel I'm doing myself an injustice by staying.

Good people I work with and a lot of the time I have a laugh, but there's only so many miles on the clock, I'm nearly 27 and I need to start heading for financial security.

Of course I'd do a job I love for poor wages but recently the stress has got to me and I just don't think it's worth it. Have sent my CV to many jobsites/potential employers, if something alluring rears it's head, it won't take too much persuading for me to jump ship.

Still, soon be christmas.
Fri 04/11/05 at 13:44
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I left University 4 years ago and people who left with me fell into that trap and are either still doing something they hate to please others or have basically wasted 2-3 years of their life before doing something they want to do.
Fri 04/11/05 at 12:05
Regular
You're so wise, thanks.
Fri 04/11/05 at 11:42
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Stryke wrote:
> Could do a Masters in Environmental Law, thats option 1,
> or I could actually try and do what I really want to, which is work on
> a wildlife reserve somewhere. Don't care where. Wales would be nice
> though. Maybe the Beacons.

The main thing is to do what you want to do and don't do something to please others ie parents.
Fri 04/11/05 at 10:15
Regular
I've in my last year at uni now and have decided I really should be thinking about my career. Thing is, I've been going to presentations by big consultancy agencies like PriceWaterhouseCoopers and Merril Lynch, and I have no idea why. I just seem to associate the idea of a job with someone like them. It's probably because I could just fall into that, no problem, when it'll take a bit of work to actually do what I want. Could do a Masters in Environmental Law, thats option 1, or I could actually try and do what I really want to, which is work on a wildlife reserve somewhere. Don't care where. Wales would be nice though. Maybe the Beacons.
Fri 04/11/05 at 09:54
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
SHEEPY wrote:
> True but I wasn't saying that.
>
> Just because he takes an interest in an actual career doesn't mean he
> is old before his time.

True enough; apologies for the assumption.
Fri 04/11/05 at 09:34
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Chr1s wrote:
> I think I've just started my drunken lout stage.
>
> Christ are these next few years going to be fun... :D

I started that 11 years ago and am still going strong!
Thu 03/11/05 at 23:23
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I think I've just started my drunken lout stage.

Christ are these next few years going to be fun... :D
Thu 03/11/05 at 22:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
True but I wasn't saying that.

Just because he takes an interest in an actual career doesn't mean he is old before his time. Personally, I plan to bum around until I hit my 30s.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.