GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"KUF: Heroes Online Virginity Lost !"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/10/05 at 02:11
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well I just had my first online battle - a 2vs2. ;-) Couldn't ask for a much better start. Made my basic troops up and decided to go for it. Got into a lobby that was showing a decent speed and I was up against a couple of Brit blokes that had had a few games together against people. I waited for a team mate to show up and an American kid comes in who hasn't played the game online before either.

So seeing as they've had a few games, the opponents obviously had better troops than me in terms of upgrading. To add to it, the kid with me didn't think to look in the troop section of the lobby and only had his main hero unit. So not only am I facing 2 superior armies, my ally only has one bloody troop on the field !

Both sides end up opting for a defensive tactic of using sappers to make traps. Then it was a game of cat and mouse, trying to lure eachother into the traps. I managed to find a little gap they'd left though and I'm pretty handy with Orc Riders. ;-)

I managed to pummel the hell outta them before they had enough traps up to force me to stop. Then it was a pretty long game of cat and mouse again - although I had the kid in my ear - "lets go attack them ! I wanna attack them ! lets just go attack them !" To make him happy (and shut him up) we did and got quite a beating from the traps and stuff. So we pulled back to our traps.

Now by this time, I think the guys had worked out that my first time squad was worn down a bit and that the kid only had one unit - so they started getting a bit more daring. Their archers outranged mine, but they seemed a bit slow at moving units when they had to deal with a number of them - so I managed to lead one of their main heroes into my traps. Me and the kid jumped him and I beat the snot out of the guy. Thats Leinhart out. Plus the other guys main Hero Regnier also took quite a beating - but he managed to pull back and escape).

By the time that battle ended though, my poor Orc Riders were no more (they got caught by traps during the huge fight) and I'd also lost my sappers. The kid got impatient again, legged it down the hill and straight into a load of spike traps. Now its down to 1 on 1.

Using a Scout while the kid was keeping him busy (amusing him by stupidly running at his traps), I seperated Morene from the rabble of meager leftover units I had sitting in my traps (she still had practically full life) and got her to travel up north, then hug the right hand side till I got roughly level to where the gits army were. All he had left by this time was a spit of life left in his main hero unit and a few sappers. He didn't think to protect his back - and with him messing around trying to bait my "full army" out of my traps with his sappers, he didn't even notice my scout sitting right near his hero.

I storm in with Morene and beat the shat outta him ! Game over ! Wait, oh, maybe not - turns out you have to kill all the players units online (in single player, the comp only has to beat your hero and you're defeated). From here it was a drawn out cat and mouse thing again. But soon he made a mistake and I jumped his sappers and reduced them to their component molecules.

Me and Morene get our first match resulting in a win, even though I had to babysit the kid with his hero Ellen. He weren't bad as far as Yank kids go though. At least he wasn't a trashtalking mong. He might be a bit more of an ally if he actually fields his army next time. ;-)

So yeah, yay me. Get practising Hedfix - I need an ally to team up with. ;-)
Tue 11/10/05 at 03:04
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, just did some tests and it seems that if you're the Dark Legion, the best thing against the Mammoth is another Mammoth. Nothing else seems to really do any damage.

The Human side have a few units that can help take out a Mammoth such as upgrading the Archers to Mortors, Ballistae, Catapaults and Bomber Wings. They would compliment my Dark Legion side pretty well with the defensive play, but they still only seem to do moderate damage against a Mammoth and if we're up against 2 - the opposition could just take down my Mammoth first, then work together to take out the Human counters.

Best tactic I can think of is to trap off areas to stop their troops and scouts seeing too many positions, keep archers near the frontline to pick off scouts and warn off sappers, then when they try to bring the Mammoths in, bring ours forward and gang up on one of them at a time to get rid of them, while keeping a unit behind each to heal ours.

Of course they can try to heal theirs too, but its harder to move everything into position when attacking than it is from a defensive position. A Human side would do well in that Mortors do a good deal of damage to normal units and they have a good range on them - outranging Archers. The downside of course is that they're slower to move so can find it harder to retreat from a fight, but again, when dug into a good position, they shouldn't be reached to easily before the damage is done and another unit can always protect them from close combat.

But then, another plus of the Dark Legion is that if you get 2 nutcase players that try to rush in, leaving the slow Mammoths behind so that they slam into you before you can build too much of a defence - DL forces are alot more mobile and thats where the decent but slow Human defences can be overwhelmed. I have my tactics against being rushed, but theres no way Mortors and Catapaults (basically anything that can aid killing a Mammoth), will be able to get away and even if we fought them off, those units would probably be left very depleted and less effective.

I think 2 Dark Legion sides will be the way to go - but we'll plan around whichever character you warm to. :-)
Most people that play Human sides seem to pick Gerald and most Dark Legion players go for either Regnier or Leinhart. If you want my advice for a Dark Legion character - try Urukubarr. A huge Ogre who beats the crap outta everything with his fists. ;-)

Don't worry too much if you can't unlock the characters campaigns to try them out - you don't to unlock them to play as them in a single player custom game or on Live.
Tue 11/10/05 at 02:23
Regular
"8==="
Cool - I thought I was going to get outclassed online because it looks like I'm going to be getting this game later than expected.
Tue 11/10/05 at 01:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yup. :-) I managed to make an army that equals to 999 points. ;-) So when I'm ready to move on, I'll look at my EXP points and make sure I only spend upto 9001 on top.

You're allowed to take upto 6 units into a battle and you're given 8 units overall to mess around with. Of course you can only take in an army that meets the maximum points for the game. Theres matches for 1000 points - 10,000 points - 300,000 points - and Unlimited.

My current army is 5 units, so when I decide to upgrade to the 10,000 matches, I'll have a nice space for a Swamp Mammoth to slot into. ;-)
I won't do that till you're ready to move up though. That way we can both go in with decent armies. :-)

Still thinking on counters for facing Swamp Mammoths too. I mean, obviously put another Mammoth against it, but theres always the chance it could go pear shaped and yours goes down first instead of theirs. I guess its a case of somehow using magic on it. Meteor should do the trick, so I'll have to make sure I have the spell. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, might do some tests on custom mode. ;-)
Tue 11/10/05 at 01:05
Regular
"8==="
Ah, so there's different levels of battles to fight in so new people don't come up against massive armies if they play in the small points battles?
Tue 11/10/05 at 00:40
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Mwahahaha ! And its 4 and 0 for me and Morene. ;-) 2 vs 2 all British fight this time. Quick match cause both of them decided to storm us and slammed straight into my traps. The guy with me didn't have the most strategic army - opting for just infantry style units, but he kept them busy while my Orc Riders made several passes through all their troops. They got the guy with me when he failed to use my traps to his advantage, but I finished them both off nice and easy. ;-)

There seems to be a few guys going around together at the moment, trying to form a longterm team so they can get used to fighting together. The American kid wanted me to go with him (probably cause I single handedly beat the opposition for him), but that kinda didn't appeal. ;-)

Another tip for anyone starting out on this game online - Try and make as best an army as you can with the 1000 EXP points you're given. Don't upgrade troops like I did, because it means you end up suffering for it when you can't use all of your units that you need. Instead, just keep playing the 1000 points games and save the rewarded points till you have plenty to spend towards making an army for the 10,000 point games.

I say that cause if you just upgrade a little and then force yourself into the 10,000 point games, then you'll soon take a beating from some strong units other players will have - such as Swamp Mammoths. You don't see them in 1000 point games because it will cost you around 2000 EXP points to create one.

I guess you can upgrade units you're not using, because they won't be in the fights anyway. I ended up deleting my existing army and starting again so that I could use all my units and then just save the points. ;-)
Of course it didn't affect my win record so I'm happy. :-)
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:44
Regular
"8==="
I meant solar flare.

Yus.
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:41
Regular
You got told homeboy!

*dances*
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
:*(
Mon 10/10/05 at 19:52
Regular
Then shut up.
Mon 10/10/05 at 19:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hmmm. I almost miss Live.

Oh wait, no I don't.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.