GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battlefield 2 : Special Forces"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/10/05 at 20:06
Regular
You probably all know about the impending release of this. Funny, I thought Battlefield 2 had only just arrived on the scene, and here we are with an update so soon.

[URL]http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html[/URL]

[URL]http://pc.ign.com/articles/634/634090p1.html[/URL]

Those articles give you a good idea of what to expect, not sure if I like what I'm hearing. Firstly, they seem to be making a hell of a lot of fuss over the fact that you get to use 'night vision'. Ooooh ... vision, at night? ... never ... How would that work then? *swoon etc*

Night vision, day vision, heat vision, electromagnetic vision has all been covered in pretty much any spec ops gaming title since the day dot. To me it reached its pinnacle with the advent of the sublime Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Been there, done that, enjoyed every minute, got the t-shirt. So let's try not to get cheap thrills out of it anymore eh?

Battlefield 2 is unique in that it does exactly what it says on the tin - you fight on a full size battlefield with any of the weapons associated with such a scenario. The freedom it gives you is unparalleled and to me the main allure. So now to seemingly devolve the game into enclosed spaces, removing some of the freedom, to add 'effects' which have been standard in most games of the past 5 years, and to re-hash a done-to-death concept of special forces battles in nuclear bunkers, trainyards, airports, whatever, ... seems silly.

I love those games as much as the next man - I was hooked on RS3 and Black Arrow, also Counterstrike for a while. But in my opinion the opening up of skirmishes to full size battlefields with a plethora of vehicles, was a dream come true.

There will be vehicles in the new expansion, and the maps, they say, are big enough for 64 players still. Also, new abilities are announced for many of the classes, most notably the ability to scale buildings and abseil back down. Sounds good, but wouldn't, I believe, be that much of an improvement.

Probably just being pessimistic - it'll probably be a corking title, and I'll almost definitely be purchasing it when it's released, but I'd be happier to see the scale of warfare become more grande, rather than bolting on a few extra abilities and devolving it back into a counterstrike clone. I envisage battles on the scale of Command and Conquer Generals, only at ground level. That would be sweet as a nut. Maybe for Battlefield 3 ... ?

Your views on this?
Tue 25/10/05 at 02:59
Regular
"Captain to you."
Give a man a bullet
He'll want a gun
Give a man a gun
He'll give the bullets away free
Mon 24/10/05 at 14:11
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
> y2cragie wrote:
> haha. No my dad was for 25 years. I had the pleasure of getting to
> navigate using the goggles when i was younger.
>
> Did he ever crash a MiG into a chopper and get 5 kills, then respawn
> and charge a tank with a C4-laden jeep?

every day of course ::) haha
Mon 24/10/05 at 13:04
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
y2cragie wrote:
> haha. No my dad was for 25 years. I had the pleasure of getting to
> navigate using the goggles when i was younger.

Did he ever crash a MiG into a chopper and get 5 kills, then respawn and charge a tank with a C4-laden jeep?
Sun 23/10/05 at 18:58
Regular
J Nash wrote:
> Are you a SOLIDER? Don't shoot me!

haha. No my dad was for 25 years. I had the pleasure of getting to navigate using the goggles when i was younger.
Sun 23/10/05 at 18:34
Regular
"Captain to you."
If i ever get like that shoot me nash.
Sun 23/10/05 at 18:10
Regular
Are you a SOLIDER? Don't shoot me!
Sun 23/10/05 at 17:54
Regular
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:

Flying copters in the pitch black would seem to be a
> pain in the ass. Also, the poor suckers on the floor wouldn't have a
> clue where it was. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ironically the apache has one of the best Night vision assistant systems in the helicopter world. Yet it is now overtaking the cobra for target fixation accidents, whereby a pilot is so busy watching his target that he looses referance to the ground and smashes into it.
As for this game hyping nightvision? believe me if you have ever had to navigate using military spec night vision goggles its not that fun, you have tunnel vision forced on you and their true effectiveness is not that much as it also harms depth perception.
Sat 22/10/05 at 12:58
Regular
I'm really surprised there's not more hype for this, seeing as how Battlefield 2 seems to have taken the online gamesplaying community by storm.

At first I heard that there were no copters in the new add on, but last night someone told me it has Longbow Apache's in it. Can anyone confirm this? Flying copters in the pitch black would seem to be a pain in the ass. Also, the poor suckers on the floor wouldn't have a clue where it was. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Sat 08/10/05 at 21:48
Regular
Something I thought would be good would be fully destructible environments, a la Mercenaries on XBOX. Having whole buildings toppling would make for some mad gaming, although on long games you'd probably just end up playing in large expanses of rubble.
Sat 08/10/05 at 20:35
Regular
"Captain to you."
I personally don't think they should have bothered with this, they could have spent the time developing the main game more, adding bots for all map sizes fixing some bugs, i guess it will come down to how it is when i comes out, but i don't see myself bothering with this when it's released.

None of the previous add-ons for a battlefield game have interested me as they just seem to be desperate attempts to get a bit more cash.

I'd like to see them go back to the ocean with the abbilty to move boats and bring back subs and add missiles. Mass tank battles would have been a good idea 20 on 20 tank battles would have made my day, add to that some jets flying over and artillery and you have one happy Chippo. But they are going the other way they are turning it in to just another FPS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.