GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil 4 demo opinions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4'.
Fri 08/10/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Got my Freeloader, a couple of Famitsu Wave magazines, and a copy of the Famitsu Capcom special edition magazine, together with a nice customs charge, this morning.

I haven't played the demo through to completion yet, but did have a half hour or so on it, and it was pretty good.

The chances are you've all seen the videos of the early section of the game, with Leon arriving by car to this strange, eerie woods complete with Southern Comfort/Deliverance style atmosphere. You get a chance to get used to the controls when you first start out, but this is probably my biggest gripe with the game, the controls and camera view; they still look and feel a little restrictive to me. The over-the-shoulder view is a little too close to your character, meaning your view of the landscape is a tad restricted, and the ability to look around doesn't feel very quick and easy if you're in a hectic situation. You can use the C-stick to fix your view looking up or down slightly, and when holding out your weapon you can look around with the analogue stick.
It may just take a bit of getting used to I guess, so I'll reserve total judgement until I've played it a bit more, but I've always thought it look a bit restrictive, both control-wise and the character view.

I managed to get hold of the shotgun and blast some villagers (including one of the chainsaw dudes), which felt really cool, and the bit when you barracade yourself in a house and them come under attack from all sides/floors of the house is a real rush, with villagers throwing molotov cocktails and bursting through doors and windows, converging onto you (that's when I got killed). When the baddies are very close to you, you can press the A button to kick them away, which is pretty cool.

The visuals were nice, if a little drab, and the music is suitably creepy. All in all it felt kinda strange playing a Resident Evil title that was such a radical departure from what I've been used to over the years. Any misgivings I had with the controls and camera view were nearly forgotten when I got a hold of the shotgun and blasted off some heads.
Fri 08/10/04 at 17:08
Regular
Bejam wrote:
> The visuals were nice

"Nice"? Just nice?
Fri 08/10/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Got my Freeloader, a couple of Famitsu Wave magazines, and a copy of the Famitsu Capcom special edition magazine, together with a nice customs charge, this morning.

I haven't played the demo through to completion yet, but did have a half hour or so on it, and it was pretty good.

The chances are you've all seen the videos of the early section of the game, with Leon arriving by car to this strange, eerie woods complete with Southern Comfort/Deliverance style atmosphere. You get a chance to get used to the controls when you first start out, but this is probably my biggest gripe with the game, the controls and camera view; they still look and feel a little restrictive to me. The over-the-shoulder view is a little too close to your character, meaning your view of the landscape is a tad restricted, and the ability to look around doesn't feel very quick and easy if you're in a hectic situation. You can use the C-stick to fix your view looking up or down slightly, and when holding out your weapon you can look around with the analogue stick.
It may just take a bit of getting used to I guess, so I'll reserve total judgement until I've played it a bit more, but I've always thought it look a bit restrictive, both control-wise and the character view.

I managed to get hold of the shotgun and blast some villagers (including one of the chainsaw dudes), which felt really cool, and the bit when you barracade yourself in a house and them come under attack from all sides/floors of the house is a real rush, with villagers throwing molotov cocktails and bursting through doors and windows, converging onto you (that's when I got killed). When the baddies are very close to you, you can press the A button to kick them away, which is pretty cool.

The visuals were nice, if a little drab, and the music is suitably creepy. All in all it felt kinda strange playing a Resident Evil title that was such a radical departure from what I've been used to over the years. Any misgivings I had with the controls and camera view were nearly forgotten when I got a hold of the shotgun and blasted off some heads.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.