GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resident Evil 4 demo opinions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4'.
Fri 08/10/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Got my Freeloader, a couple of Famitsu Wave magazines, and a copy of the Famitsu Capcom special edition magazine, together with a nice customs charge, this morning.

I haven't played the demo through to completion yet, but did have a half hour or so on it, and it was pretty good.

The chances are you've all seen the videos of the early section of the game, with Leon arriving by car to this strange, eerie woods complete with Southern Comfort/Deliverance style atmosphere. You get a chance to get used to the controls when you first start out, but this is probably my biggest gripe with the game, the controls and camera view; they still look and feel a little restrictive to me. The over-the-shoulder view is a little too close to your character, meaning your view of the landscape is a tad restricted, and the ability to look around doesn't feel very quick and easy if you're in a hectic situation. You can use the C-stick to fix your view looking up or down slightly, and when holding out your weapon you can look around with the analogue stick.
It may just take a bit of getting used to I guess, so I'll reserve total judgement until I've played it a bit more, but I've always thought it look a bit restrictive, both control-wise and the character view.

I managed to get hold of the shotgun and blast some villagers (including one of the chainsaw dudes), which felt really cool, and the bit when you barracade yourself in a house and them come under attack from all sides/floors of the house is a real rush, with villagers throwing molotov cocktails and bursting through doors and windows, converging onto you (that's when I got killed). When the baddies are very close to you, you can press the A button to kick them away, which is pretty cool.

The visuals were nice, if a little drab, and the music is suitably creepy. All in all it felt kinda strange playing a Resident Evil title that was such a radical departure from what I've been used to over the years. Any misgivings I had with the controls and camera view were nearly forgotten when I got a hold of the shotgun and blasted off some heads.
Tue 12/10/04 at 14:01
Regular
"Bow to me!"
ebay is ok if you give it a chance. if the sellers thieve you money (which has never happened to me) ebay will pay upto £5000 to cover it. GC's are £60-£70 new now but much cheaper second hand. a friend of mine had a demo of RE4 (dont know where it came from) so i played it for a bit and it seems great. didnt get much chance at it though
Tue 12/10/04 at 01:34
Regular
Well if you check feedback then you can..
Tue 12/10/04 at 01:24
Regular
"Jackpot!"
yea haha but who would trust ebay?
Well I will buy it from wherever sells it the cheapest, possibly amazon as SR gamecubes are still expensive.
Mon 11/10/04 at 23:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You can probably get one on ebay for 5p now.
Mon 11/10/04 at 23:14
Regular
"Jackpot!"
Thanks bejam, I have to get a cheap gamecube first though lol.
Mon 11/10/04 at 14:30
Regular
"hit the road jack"
I would really like a demo to see just how different it is. Ive seen reels & reels of footage but I don't think im going to be able to play it until release.
Mon 11/10/04 at 09:26
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Dante, yea that's me wrote:
> Where did you buy the demo from?
> Do they sell it over here?

Got an imported copy of Famitsu magazine to play it. There was a special Capcom edition that came out a couple of weeks back that had the demo so I thought I'd have a look. Got mine from Lik-Sang, though I'm not sure if they've got anymore in stock, in any ways, I don't think the demo is really worth a tenner (especially as the US version is supposed to be out at the end of the year?)

The demo itself didn't turn out to be huge, it's mainly just the small village section seen in many of the videos, where you come under attack from the bad village people (not the YMCA variety mind, that would be cool though).

After my initial thoughts that the controls seemed a tad restrictive when compared to something like Max Payne 2 on the PC, I did get a bit more used to them, starting to really feel at ease with the looking around etc, and that didn't really turn out to be a huge issue.
Mon 11/10/04 at 01:06
Regular
"Jackpot!"
Where did you buy the demo from?
Do they sell it over here?
Sun 10/10/04 at 14:30
Regular
"^_^"
So, is it the most anticipated game for the Cube for you at the moment then?
Fri 08/10/04 at 21:04
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
OK, the visuals were very nice :D

The demo was a tad short though :(

Still, that shotgun action, wow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.