GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WAR!?!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/10/05 at 17:02
Regular
For most people wars a pretty strange subject, a little like marmite some people love them some people hate them, but in the end what what would the world shape up like if we'd never have any. . . . . . . . .

***Countrys would not be great, empires would not have been crafted, the great romans would have been known merely as a bunch of troublesome chavs trying to pick fights. all beit they did invent some pretty neat stuff, some of there greatest inventions were in the sole pursuit of war and global domination.

***America wouldn't be a super power, it would have remained isolated had the world wars never began. they would have never leeched off there allies selling arms at slightly to high prices and only really coming in to help to late when it looked as though the allies wouldn't be around to fuel the american economy by buying there weaopns.

***America wouldn't look so bloody daft if they hadn't lost a war against the poorly equiped vietnamese or when fighting iraq, they toppled saddam fair enough but fat lot of good thats done them, rather live in fear than in fear of suicide bomebers and anarchy.

***Britain wouldn't have ruled 1 third of the world and become the greatest nation to have ever existed. Churchill wouldn't have become our saviour and we wouldn't have a great amount of heritage to be proud of.

***Hitler wouldn't have come to power had the 1st world war never taken place, he wouldn't have killed 6 million inncocent jews and the British could no longer chant "2 world wars and 1 world cup doo da doo da" at German matches, it wouldn't meen so much to beat germany in world cup finals or hammer them 5-1 in internationals.

***The French wouldn't have fought and lost every single war they fought in, they would never have crumbled beneath the military might of Britain, which without war would not have existed. I tell a lie the French did win one war, all be it the French civil war where the outcome pretty much gauranteed a winner.

***The russians wouldn't have become so bitter the Tsar may still be ruling them had it not been for war, Russians would not have such a hatred and fear of Germany. There wouldn't have been a cold war, no space race and as a result perhaps no great spacestations or even decent space exploration.

***Technological advancements wouldn't have been so urgent, men develop weapons and equipment to kill other men better, the other men will then build better defences to stop being killed by the men, the men will then build bigger bombs and better weapons to breach better defences and so on.

***History books, would be practically empty, school text books bland and uninteresting, your grandad wouldn't have sat you down and proudly shown you his polished medals, or your nan wouldn't have been telling you how great your grandad was.

***Computer games would have barely evolved, Halo, Half life, Rome Total war, age of empires and so many other great games based on what could be described as a human way of life, War. If war hadn't existed the gun wouldn't have been needed and never been made, any game envolving a gun would have never existed and gamers would suffer an eternal onslought of monkey ball, tetris installments and other games which don't supply human gaming needs of blood lust and intense action.

So all in all, war may not be a great thing to be in, but there is no doubting the world would have been a pretty boring place and we the people of today would not have been as prosperous as we are now, WARS also an important way to stop things going wrong, for example if we hadn't of gone to war with Hitler, he would have slowly taken over europe before becoming unstopable and Nazism may have ruled the world, but it didn't because Britain went to war with them and stood fast against a far more powerful army and one because no one can beat the British.
Sun 09/10/05 at 19:13
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
*brain explodes*
Sat 08/10/05 at 23:48
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Hedfix wrote:
> munn wrote:
> >
> The American civil war?
>
> Originally a war over slave prices.

Too damn cheap in my opinion.
Thu 06/10/05 at 22:11
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I am God.
Wed 05/10/05 at 14:15
Regular
"8==="
munn wrote:
>
> The American civil war?

Originally a war over slave prices.

War of independence was good though, the British needed a good kicking.
Tue 04/10/05 at 23:17
Regular

The Normans conquer England (and possibly Wales).

You're all French deep down.

As for Wars not achieving anything.

The American civil war?
Tue 04/10/05 at 22:52
Regular
Didn't the French beat the British in the American Independance?
Tue 04/10/05 at 21:18
Regular
The peasants may have made up the military but they still loved the tsar and the peasants were the untrained soldiers the likes of whom weren't gauranteed to fight the enemy with a rifle, instead would have to pick one up of there dead mate. The real army were the tsars elite, not just the kossacks but the higher ranking troops who eventually turned against the tsar.

The war was the key escalation to the fall of the tsar, had the war not happened, there would of course been much discontent still in russia, but the eventual fall of nicholas the 2nd may have happened alot later in history, but its likly it would have definetly happened.

The statements made were more like a what if statement
Tue 04/10/05 at 21:07
Regular
"Not a Jew"
The military WERE the peasants. How could he have their support when some didn't even have boots? It was a catalyst as I said, but without it the Tsar would still have been overthrown.
Tue 04/10/05 at 20:58
Regular
RoJ wrote:
> Also.. "The russians wouldn't have become so bitter the Tsar may
> still be ruling them had it not been for war,"
>
> Never, the war was only a catalyst, the downfall of the Tsar was
> inevitable - all other countries had changed their system of
> government at least in the previous century!

Yeah, i can agree with this, i studied russia for 2 years back when i did my GCSE's, but you do have to admit it was an incredibly important trigger, the bolsheviks would have not been able to attract so many of the poor and if there had not been bitter fighting the army would most proobably have remained loyal, and you can't have a revolution without the support of the military. When the Tsar lost the military he had practically lost Tsarinsm in Russia.
Tue 04/10/05 at 20:55
Regular
Cycloon wrote:
> 'Pompous rejects' being a national charecteristic? In that case, all
> British people love roast beef!
>
> I realise I may have gone to town a little too much, but I get very
> annoyed at stupid comments about the French - I'm not a francophile,
> I just dislike such stupidity.

In my experience this is what all french people have come across as, that is personal opinion, fair enough the only french people i have encoutered are my old french teachers, so probably not the best example to base a view of an entire nation on agreed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.