GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Baffling PC problem..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/09/05 at 13:52
Regular
"you've got a beard"
... all of a sudden, all of my games crash after a few minutes.
not crash out to the desktop, but do a total resetting of my machine.

to be fair, i was considering doing a rebuild soon as it is, but i'd like to know what could possibly be causing it so i can check a step at a time if/when i DO rebuild.

i'm running:

MSI KT6 Delta L mobo (1gig of ram, which i tested and is fine)
Athlon XP3000
Gforce FX5700
Windows 2000
DirectX 9c

it's utterly baffling as everything used to run fine.
i thuoght Far Cry may be crashing due to the no-cd patch i added, but then it occured to me that Star Wars Battlefront has ALWAYS crashed on one specific level (meanig i can't finish the damn thing :D )
so i installed a fresh new demo of Flatout and that crashed as well. i installed latest drivers for gforce and that seems stable now, i played it for about 10 minutes without any hassles.. but when i tried far cry again, that crashes out where it never used to.

any clues?
anyone... bueller?
Thu 29/09/05 at 13:52
Regular
"you've got a beard"
... all of a sudden, all of my games crash after a few minutes.
not crash out to the desktop, but do a total resetting of my machine.

to be fair, i was considering doing a rebuild soon as it is, but i'd like to know what could possibly be causing it so i can check a step at a time if/when i DO rebuild.

i'm running:

MSI KT6 Delta L mobo (1gig of ram, which i tested and is fine)
Athlon XP3000
Gforce FX5700
Windows 2000
DirectX 9c

it's utterly baffling as everything used to run fine.
i thuoght Far Cry may be crashing due to the no-cd patch i added, but then it occured to me that Star Wars Battlefront has ALWAYS crashed on one specific level (meanig i can't finish the damn thing :D )
so i installed a fresh new demo of Flatout and that crashed as well. i installed latest drivers for gforce and that seems stable now, i played it for about 10 minutes without any hassles.. but when i tried far cry again, that crashes out where it never used to.

any clues?
anyone... bueller?
Thu 29/09/05 at 13:58
Regular
"NULL"
It could be overheating and rebooting to protect components. Does your mobo have any temperature monitoring devices or software? Try opening your case up and giving it a general clean to remove dust etc.
Thu 29/09/05 at 13:59
Regular
"..."
Very_Metal wrote:
> ... all of a sudden, all of my games crash after a few minutes.
> not crash out to the desktop, but do a total resetting of my machine.
>
> Windows 2000

I'd guess that bit right there is they key. Windows seems to have a constant degrading over time until it gets to the point where the whole machine drops out, completely out of the blue. Had the same problems a few years ago at uni coupled with the fact the my CD writer wouldn't work for no apparent reason...had to put it with it for months, as couldn't afford to do a complete format and start again without losing my Uni work...#

Either that, or there could be a power intake problem.
Thu 29/09/05 at 14:27
Regular
"NULL"
I can't say for W2K, but in XP, there is a setting to force a reboot after a serious error (an imaginative way of never getting BSODs!). You may be able to find this and turn it off. Does W2K have an Event Viewer like XP does?
Thu 29/09/05 at 14:35
Regular
"the burning sky"
Nimco wrote:
> I can't say for W2K, but in XP, there is a setting to force a reboot
> after a serious error (an imaginative way of never getting BSODs!).
> You may be able to find this and turn it off. Does W2K have an Event
> Viewer like XP does?

Out of interest how do you get the XP one working, I wanted to know the reason hl2.exe keeps crashing.
Thu 29/09/05 at 15:08
Regular
"NULL"
Right-click My Computer > Properties > [Advanced] > Settings > Uncheck "Automatically Restart"
Thu 29/09/05 at 15:20
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:
> MSI KT6 Delta L mobo (1gig of ram, which i tested and is fine)

I have this motherboard, and it has done a similar thing to me in the past.

I think it was just down to overheating.
Thu 29/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
"you've got a beard"
hmmm, interesting.
it's leaning towards overheating then?
this is odd as i'm not putting any more work on it than usual and the case is already open with an office fan on it (so i can leave it rendering overnight sometimes) and it's never overheated before.

mobo: 49 C
CPU: 52 C

... is that good or bad?
Thu 29/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
It's normal temperature I guess.

But when you play games, those temps can go through the roof.
Thu 29/09/05 at 16:18
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
I find when it comes to games, the graphics card drivers are ususally to blame, as over time, as windows auto-updates itself, the drivers find themselves having to work on an operating system that may have changed quite considerably since they were written...

Solution: Always check for the latest Graphics card drivers... Oh and sometimes the soundcard and motherboard drivers can fall behind as well.

EDIT: I realise you already updated your GFX drivers... try the other components as well as a last resort you could try re-installing DirectX 9

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.